What did you pay for your CX-5?

Sorry, that was a bit harsh. There's nothing wrong with shopping 2 dealers and getting prices. Obviously they gave you a great deal if the bottom line price was only $300 less. The going back and forth after you got the best price...that's a little sketchy imo. Again, obviously a great price. But it shows they weren't screwing you.

They call them stealerships because it's funny and it rhymes but sometimes the name fits. Most dealerships are full of decent hard working people not out to screw you. My friends husband sells Kia's. Likewise my mother in laws Chrysler Jeep guy is a gem. He's a good guy and doesn't try to screw people. Sure, there's a bad egg or two just like any profession (like the jerk I met at a different Jeep dealer). But overall, most of today's car salesman aren't the jerk offs most people make them out to be.
I got a price at one dealer, got another price at a second dealer which was only $150 cheaper. I thought I was treated very well at the 2nd and that's why I bought from them.

Sent from my LG V10

FIFY (fixed it for you)

I'm thinking that you haven't purchased that many cars in your lifetime? Or perhaps that you haven't had the misfortune of being lied to your face by a car dealer/salesperson or the service writer at the dealership?

You have to shop several dealers in your area . I work for a Auto Plex that has a Mazda store and wanted to buy a 16 cx5 AWD with tech pak , I am not in sales but deal with salesman all day long for keys and gas ......etc, some are honest but many are not . I was supposed to get a good deal since I worked there and they wanted to give me 3 k on my trade that I knew was worth twice that . I got what I wanted at a dealership 45 min away very quickly . I paid 29009 for a 16 Gt AWD leather , they wanted 31500 and would give me 3 k on my trade .I got 6k for my trade and it was a painless quick deal . So , yes work a deal with several dealers and make sued they all know you are doing that ...it will pay off !!

FIFY (fixed it for you)

I'm thinking that you haven't purchased that many cars in your lifetime? Or perhaps that you haven't had the misfortune of being lied to your face by a car dealer/salesperson or the service writer at the dealership?

I ll give a recent example
Wife totaled her car went to a dealership (Buick) to see a subaru that was priced low (even in TX subus keep value).
Said the guy traded it in for a buick - pretty confident
10 mins later the Carfax says car was bought in Waco sold to two auction houses in DFW and ended up in his lot.

Upright lying upright. Not even trying to add words like "I guess" etc.

Opposite experience with Freeman Mazda - very good dealer. Our price disagreed by 800 bucks. I wanted him to get my business but he did not even pick up my phone. Emailed me he was busy. How can you be busy for a guy wanting to buy the very same day? I guess that he had quoted his lowest and he did not have the car on lot so had to do a swap which means he wont be making a lot.

purchased my first mazda (CX-5) last night. looks like with 2017's on the horizon, there are some good deals to be had. grabbed a sport (titanium flash) at 12% off sticker+ $1275 rebate+ $800 in accessories thrown in free.

I feel pretty good about the purchase.

purchased my first mazda (CX-5) last night. looks like with 2017's on the horizon, there are some good deals to be had. grabbed a sport (titanium flash) at 12% off sticker+ $1275 rebate+ $800 in accessories thrown in free.

I feel pretty good about the purchase.

I think that is the best deal i have seen. Assuming 1275 is 4-5% of the MSRP. The only deal here that is better is a guy who wanted sport but got a touring in same color for similar price (i dont trust that story much though lol).
That too gettting it on sport trim is amazing since lower two trims sell much less in USA. Good job.

New to forum. I bought one the other night. Grey 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech package for 29.8k out the door. I calculated about 11% off... Not sure if that's great. it was about 3.3k off. And I asked them to throw in all weather mats. They sold it to me at 27.3k msrp was 30.6k

i would recommend to anyone that you "pile on the accessories" with your deal. for me, navigation and a couple protection items were not a priority, but the cargo cover & cargo tray were. by asking for a couple of extra items, i had something that i could walk away from to make the deal. in the end, i got it all.

Forgot to add my data-point:

$20,500 for a no-frills 6-Speed CX-5 in Silver. The dealer they sourced from had already added all-weather mats and tint for an extra $210.
Dealer fee was $590.
OTD in NC for roughly $21,500 w/ Mazda's 0% financing.

Feel like it was a decent deal. Didn't have to haggle, and they actually drove over an hour and half to deliver it right into my driveway and sign all the paperwork at my house, so I don't mind having paid a small amount for a super amount of convenience and reduced headache.

New to forum. I bought one the other night. Grey 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech package for 29.8k out the door. I calculated about 11% off... Not sure if that's great. it was about 3.3k off. And I asked them to throw in all weather mats. They sold it to me at 27.3k msrp was 30.6k

If you enjoy your car, i think you wont worry much. You are already ahead of the curve, most avg discount on CX5 is around 5-7% I would say.
To me this car fits like a glove, superb handling and great feel.

Brand new to the forum. Meteor Gray 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring for 29.2k. Was pretty happy with the price. It definitely helps that the 2017s are on their way.

Brand new to the forum. Meteor Gray 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring for 29.2k. Was pretty happy with the price. It definitely helps that the 2017s are on their way.

Congrats!

Chicago eh? Which dealer did you buy from?

Not sure if anyone would be able to give me any tips as to how to get the best deal via email. I've got 2 offers from 2 different dealers on a 2016.5 CX5 Touring AWD automatic with cargo cover. Both are around $27,700 out the door with taxes and fees included and including $1,000 customer cash (but I would still have to pay DMV which is around $140ish). Is this the best deal I'm going to get in central NY? If it's not that great of a deal, how should I go about getting a better deal?
A third dealer just emailed me with a $27,500 out the door with taxes and fees. Is this the norm for NY?

Last edited:
Annmarie - I got touring with bose for 23900 + Taxes title etc. Back in sept. for a 12.2% off MSRP.
Quote your base price excluding tax - tax will be different for each state - you cant negotiate on tax % or registration fees.

At this point a good benchmark will be - see the MSRP of the car, take 12-14% off it. Depends on how aggressive you want to be.
If the dealer is located near you and will be used for service - negotiate hard but then let them make money off accessories - buy couple of 100 dollars worth - this makes a good relation with the dealer which is needed for future warranty work.

Here is a post earlier:

On the CX-5 if you have time this would be my strategy.

1. Send a request to quote for 4-5 dealers -- some will give you quote some will not.
2. Wait Wait Wait - dont go in to a dealership first you will get a bad quote.
3. Test drive from a dealer - use the extended one if they offer, that helped me decide on the car.
4. Hopefully soon - one of the dealers will get desperate and will offer you a good 10% off MSRP.
5. Add more things you want - Cargo Tray and Tint were free for me, i did not care for others.
6. Use the give and take on accessories - I will throw in 7K down, give me the cargo tray and so on. Dont reveal all your cards up front.

Factor in the color combination - take the best quote to the dealer who worked more for you - In my case I could not do it because that Dealer on hearing my quote avoided me like plague. Could I have done better ? Certainly but I was happy and made the deal.

GL.

I guess I'm just not sure how to reply to their offers? Do I make a counter offer and see where it gets me?

Not sure if anyone would be able to give me any tips as to how to get the best deal via email. I've got 2 offers from 2 different dealers on a 2016.5 CX5 Touring AWD automatic with cargo cover. Both are around $27,700 out the door with taxes and fees included and including $1,000 customer cash (but I would still have to pay DMV which is around $140ish). Is this the best deal I'm going to get in central NY? If it's not that great of a deal, how should I go about getting a better deal?
A third dealer just emailed me with a $27,500 out the door with taxes and fees. Is this the norm for NY?

Is that with no other options? Seems a little much to me.

My CX-5 AWD Touring was $26,780.17 OTD (yes had to look that up). That was $25,500 (price for car) + $500 dealer fee + filing fee + taxes (which I think was 2.9% at the time?).

What is your tax rate there lol?

Edit: Now that was back in 2013 when I bought it, so no idea what kind of prices people are getting these days.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just not sure how to reply to their offers? Do I make a counter offer and see where it gets me?

Show you are eager to buy. But don't counter. Countering limits your opportunity to bring discount down. Bring in competing brands. Say the Nissan looks better deal as they are putting more cashback. You are in NY... I expect 4 dealers to be in the mix. Also your absolute best deal may happen near the month end or even after 2017 is released. I strongly recommend test driving 2017 model before buying 2016.5 one.

Back