What did you pay for your CX-5?

Feeling out the pricing of a 2019 CX-5 Signature. MSRP of 38,235 (including destination and machine gray paint). First estimate they gave me is 34,794. This isn't taking into account Mazda loyalty, which is the only incentive I would qualify for. I think I'd rather take the 0.9% 60 months financing over $500 cashback. I've only ever bought one car 10 years ago and couldn't get much of anywhere with negotiating. How do I go about trying to go a little lower from here or adding accessories (really only interested in the cargo cover)? What is an appropriate target to hit? I mean 9% off the bat already seems pretty good to me, but obviously I'd love to go lower lol.

Feeling out the pricing of a 2019 CX-5 Signature. MSRP of 38,235 (including destination and machine gray paint). First estimate they gave me is 34,794. This isn't taking into account Mazda loyalty, which is the only incentive I would qualify for. I think I'd rather take the 0.9% 60 months financing over $500 cashback. I've only ever bought one car 10 years ago and couldn't get much of anywhere with negotiating. How do I go about trying to go a little lower from here or adding accessories (really only interested in the cargo cover)? What is an appropriate target to hit? I mean 9% off the bat already seems pretty good to me, but obviously I'd love to go lower lol.

email all dealers within 2 hours and have them beat your quote..rinse and repeat . 9% off msrp without any rebates is a good deal.

Is it a valid tactic to just lead with saying "I got $XXX quote from another dealer, what can you do for me?" or "I'm looking for this and this for $XXX price, can you do it?", or is it better to just let them respond first and work them from there?

The dealer who provided me the first estimate so far is the cheapest, but they've stopped responding to my further questions for now. Trying to avoid sending too many follow ups and just let them earn my business while I look around some more. Hoping now to just get a good deal on the car itself, then add on accessories myself later on since it seems all the accessory prices are quite a bit cheaper to buy individually than to purchase them with the car factory installed

What is the price on the window sticker TOTAL MSRP which includes freight?

The MSRP is $31,490.

I have seen so many games from these dealers. Inflating MSRP so it seems you are getting a lot of discount, backtracking on the discount they initially gave.

Is it a valid tactic to just lead with saying "I got $XXX quote from another dealer, what can you do for me?" or "I'm looking for this and this for $XXX price, can you do it?", or is it better to just let them respond first and work them from there?

The dealer who provided me the first estimate so far is the cheapest, but they've stopped responding to my further questions for now. Trying to avoid sending too many follow ups and just let them earn my business while I look around some more. Hoping now to just get a good deal on the car itself, then add on accessories myself later on since it seems all the accessory prices are quite a bit cheaper to buy individually than to purchase them with the car factory installed

let them know your best quote and tell them they need to beat, not match. If you get multiple better offers, keep playing the game to all are out. I would then go to the dealer that is closest to you(or the one you want to deal with) and show them your best quote and if the match you will purchase.
There will be dealers who will not want to play or give you quotes with rebates, ect. Just make sure you are getting quotes without any rebates.

let them know your best quote and tell them they need to beat, not match. If you get multiple better offers, keep playing the game to all are out. I would then go to the dealer that is closest to you(or the one you want to deal with) and show them your best quote and if the match you will purchase.
There will be dealers who will not want to play or give you quotes with rebates, ect. Just make sure you are getting quotes without any rebates.

Will dealers play along if they ask me to come in first before throwing out a price that "they can beat", but I want to hear it first before making any decisions? There's a closer dealer near me which i haven't reached out to yet, but I was still hoping to check out some other dealers as well.

Will dealers play along if they ask me to come in first before throwing out a price that "they can beat", but I want to hear it first before making any decisions? There's a closer dealer near me which i haven't reached out to yet, but I was still hoping to check out some other dealers as well.

DO NOT go into the dealer to discuss pricing in person! You*ll be playing their game in their house. They will tie you up and waste your time with staged *negotiations* until they wear you down.

If the sales person won*t give you an email quote, email the sales manager or gm. Tell them of the lack of a quote and that you need that if they wish to be considered for your business.

If you really prefer that dealer, complete the email bid process (reverse auction) with all the other nearby dealers and the give your fave a chance to beat it, in person if necessary. If they won*t, LEAVE immediately unless you*re willing to pay their price.

Last edited:
DO NOT go into the dealer to discuss pricing in person! You*ll be playing their game in their house. They will tie you up and waste your time with staged *negotiations* until they wear you down.

If the sales person won*t give you an email quote, email the sales manager or gm. Tell them of the lack of a quote and that you need that if they wish to be considered for your business.

If you really prefer that dealer, complete the email bid process (reverse auction) with all the other nearby dealers and the give your fave a chance to beat it, in person if necessary. If they won*t, LEAVE immediately unless you*re willing to pay their price.

Yea, I don't plan on going in to discuss pricing. If the guy won't give me a quote over email, I'll just wait it out. I was going to respond to the sales guy to give him my target price though. If he can make it happen then that's great, otherwise I guess it's a pass on them. I'm targeting 10% below MSRP before rebates (Mazda loyalty) and 0.9% financing. With the mazda loyalty it should come down to 12%. Is that a fair or pretty aggressive ask? Is it possible to even go for than 12% off MSRP? I was actually pretty surprised at the first quote the three dealers I reached out to threw out, since they ranged from 7-9% -- two without rebates (I think), one with rebate). I don't know if it's because of the end of the month and are desperate for sales, or if it's some sale promotion period, or if there are even more discounts i'm not aware of.

Edit: I saw on the previous page that a couple folks either purchased or have an offer on the table of 13% off MSRP. With accessories included even. (wow)

Last edited:
Yea, I don't plan on going in to discuss pricing. If the guy won't give me a quote over email, I'll just wait it out. I was going to respond to the sales guy to give him my target price though. If he can make it happen then that's great, otherwise I guess it's a pass on them. I'm targeting 10% below MSRP before rebates (Mazda loyalty) and 0.9% financing. With the mazda loyalty it should come down to 12%. Is that a fair or pretty aggressive ask? Is it possible to even go for than 12% off MSRP? I was actually pretty surprised at the first quote the three dealers I reached out to threw out, since they ranged from 7-9% -- two without rebates (I think), one with rebate). I don't know if it's because of the end of the month and are desperate for sales, or if it's some sale promotion period, or if there are even more discounts i'm not aware of.

Edit: I saw on the previous page that a couple folks either purchased or have an offer on the table of 13% off MSRP. With accessories included even. (wow)

that was with all rebates I believe

that was with all rebates I believe

Its not.

If a dealer will start at 7-9%, you can manage 12-13% pretty easily. Patience and sticking to your guns.

I dont even waste my time messing with dealers that start out less than 9-10%.

Also, why settle for a 200 mike radius, branch out to 500 Miles or a days drive. No use in limiting yourself to quotes. Someone will bite...

It*s not.

If a dealer will start at 7-9%, you can manage 12-13% pretty easily. Patience and sticking to your guns.

I don*t even waste my time messing with dealers that start out less than 9-10%.

Also, why settle for a 200 mike radius, branch out to 500 Miles or a day*s drive. No use in limiting yourself to quotes. Someone will bite...
each region is different. I couldn't get lower than 9% reaching out 2 15 or so dealers. The 9% dealer would not budge any lower. I haven't seen anyone post here getting 12-13% off without rebates.

Just got a CX-5 Signature today. How did I end up doing?

MSRP (incl. destination and Gray paint): 38235
Sale Price: 34400
Mazda Loyalty: -750
Price before the s*** ton of TTL/other fees: 33650

I noticed after the fact that the License/Title/some tire fee added up to $70 more than the proposed $374.75 for "Lic". Not sure if these were just estimates or if they pulled a fast one on me while being inundated with the deluge of numbers on the contract. They also got me on extended warranty / maintenance package so my OTD price was a big higher than anticipated. I've got 45 days to mull it over though, so perhaps I could get what people's thoughts are on extended warranty / maintenance packages?

My last car was a 2009 Mazda3 before any of the super fancy electronics were introduced in modern cars, so no idea how often they would need repair. As far as maintenance goes, on my last car I'm sure I've spent more than 2k in "major" checkups, so I figured for me this might be worth it for me.

From the discussions in this thread it appears that in the US market there may be more room to negotiate a lower price from MSRP vs. here in Canada (Ontario). Perhaps more competition, dealer willing to take less profit, or there may be simply a higher mark up on the vehicles, like Ford does here in my local area. We have 5 Mazda dealers in my local area, all within 50 miles. When I started shopping in the summer of 2018 for a 2018 CX5 GT I found there was very little negotiating room from any of the dealers, about 4% off the MSRP. I didn't buy at that time. In early March 2019 I decided to try again for a 2018 and there still was very little room for negotiating. The difference was in the higher Mazda rebates that were available at the time for the 2018's, the discount off the MSRP went up slightly to 5% (without rebates).

Wade

Yea it seems most people do ditch the extended warranty and maintenance packages.
Does anybody know the reliability of the electronics (display/nav/adaptive headlights/windshield projection/etc) and the 2.5L turbo after the standard 3 year warranty goes?

*I sold Mazdas until a few months ago

The mark-up on all Mazda vehicles is tiny. There are 6 Mazda dealerships in my city and negotiated prices were always within $500 of each other (at most). Most people buy from the dealer closest to them.

One time I did have a lady walk out of the finance dept when another dealer across town texted her they would sell her the same CX-5 for $100 less. This was a 70 mile round trip, 1 hour of travel time, plus an additional 2 hours at another dealer, to save $100. She didn't tell me that until after the fact or I'm sure my manger would have matched it

*I sold Mazdas until a few months ago

When I purchased my CX-5, the sales person was begging for a "10" for the Mazda dealer satisfaction survey?

He even offered free tank of gas and car wash any time indirectly. I only took advantaged of one extra tank of gas.

I googled it and it seems that their monthly bonus is based on this survey result, anything less than a "10" is not good enough! I asked him directly why the "10", and he told me that same answer as I found on google. Also, he told me that a dealer got in trouble for trading "10" for "free" accessories.

Why such a high exception?

When I purchased my CX-5, the sales person was begging for a "10" for the Mazda dealer satisfaction survey?

He even offered free tank of gas and car wash any time indirectly. I only took advantaged of one extra tank of gas.

I googled it and it seems that their monthly bonus is based on this survey result, anything less than a "10" is not good enough! I asked him directly why the "10", and he told me that same answer as I found on google. Also, he told me that a dealer got in trouble for trading "10" for "free" accessories.

Why such a high exception?

part of your pay is tied to those surveys. lower than about 90% and it costs you about $100 per car sold. some dealers will also fire you if your score is below a certain number. basically, anything lower than a 10 is considered failing by management. what sucks is that even if an issue was with the finance dept, or service, or management, the only person penalized by a bad survey is the salesperson

Back