What did you pay for your CX-5?

How many Mazda dealers are there within an hours drive of you ?
Here in the SF Bay Area there are lots of Mazda dealers so negotiating a price is relatively easy. For around here, at least, the OTD price you are getting quoted seems about $2,500 too high. If your area has multiple dealerships have you shopped those stores as well, or have you only talked to one dealership ?

doubt it. i hit up at least 8 dealers. lowest i just got was slightly under $33K for the AWD GT with PP.

Minus the etching you're looking at $30,099 for a GT AWD + PP. I have a hard time believing that dude can get it for 3 grand more then a base Sport. That's a good deal.

doubt it. i hit up at least 8 dealers. lowest i just got was slightly under $33K for the AWD GT with PP.

Doubt what ?
A few weeks ago I bought a 2019 Soul Red AWD CX-5 GT. Including a $750 Mazda loyalty discount, I wrote a check for $30,700.
The dealer had 2 Soul Red GT's (for the same price); the AWD (which I bought) and another with PP.
If the dealers in your area all charge $2,500 or so higher then I guess you will have to pay their prices or travel outside of your home area to buy the CX-5.

Doubt what ?
A few weeks ago I bought a 2019 Soul Red AWD CX-5 GT. Including a $750 Mazda loyalty discount, I wrote a check for $30,700.
The dealer had 2 Soul Red GT's (for the same price); the AWD (which I bought) and another with PP.
If the dealers in your area all charge $2,500 or so higher then I guess you will have to pay their prices or travel outside of your home area to buy the CX-5.

have anything in writing you can share so i can use it to my advantage :) ?

edit: just noticed it looks like you purchased yours without the PP? in the case the OTD price i was just quoted WITH PP ~$32,800 isn't too terrible.

Hold on, where'd you get 27,500 from? I don't see that number anywhere. That's a steal.

Edit: Oh, nevermind, I realize what you mean now. Sorry.

Last edited:
Minus the etching you're looking at $30,099 for a GT AWD + PP. I have a hard time believing that dude can get it for 3 grand more then a base Sport. That's a good deal.

That's 4.5 grand more - base sport (AWD) looks $25.7k.

just got the OTD price here in NJ/NY for the 2019 AWD CX-5 GT with PP:

Selling Price: $30,299
Tax: $2,689.80
DMV Fee: $400
Doc Fee: $369
Window Etching: $199
TOTAL: $33,957

Thoughts?

Looks like that's a great deal, minus the window etching. I got my AWD T+PP with a great deal on a 26.5k selling price, and looking at the Mazda page, T->GT upgrade is about 3.5k (26.5k -> 30k, roughly).

Last edited:
Doubt what ?

So what was the price BEFORE TTL?

nailing down $33,179 OTD including NYS taxes (8.45%) for the AWD GT + PP.

curious if anyone has had luck getting any freebies from the dealer; all weather mats, etc.?

Is $28,868+ttl a good price for a 2019 cx-5 Grand Touring + Premium Package?

I wasnt planning on getting a new car till closer to the end of the year. But I started to ask around to see what pricing looked like currently on what I wanted. As the title says, is this a good price?
Will prices be lower at the end of the year when I was planning on buying?

So what was the price BEFORE TTL?

Why would I want to know the price of a car before tax, license , and, or, any fees the dealer may charge ?
In my lifetime I've purchased a dozen cars and each time discussed only out the door (OTD) pricing. It's much simpler that way.
Within the past few weeks I've purchased both a 2019 CX-5 and a 2019 Miata. One dealer was located an hour from my home, the other 2 hours. In both cases, on the phone the salesperson (s) and I agreed to an OTD price , I then drove to the dealership (s), paid for the car (s).

have anything in writing you can share so i can use it to my advantage :) ?

edit: just noticed it looks like you purchased yours without the PP? in the case the OTD price i was just quoted WITH PP ~$32,800 isn't too terrible.

As I previously wrote, the up charge for AWD or PP seems to be the same. At least the dealer where I purchased my CX-5 was charging the same price for either a AWD or a PP CX-5. I chose the AWD because
that feature-function appealed to me more than PP's feature-function.

Why would I want to know the price of a car before tax, license , and, or, any fees the dealer may charge ?

Because that's how it works here. When people want to know if they got a good deal we want the before TTL price. Tax is 7% here. It's 10% in Chicago. In So Carolina, it's a flat $250. Might be a $50 doc fee or a $200 doc fee. So because that is so variable, to see if it's a good price we need the before TTL price.
We're not talking what you discuss with the dealer.

Because that's how it works here. When people want to know if they got a good deal we want the before TTL price. Tax is 7% here. It's 10% in Chicago. In So Carolina, it's a flat $250. Might be a $50 doc fee or a $200 doc fee. So because that is so variable, to see if it's a good price we need the before TTL price.

^^ 100% agree. OTD pricing is meaningless, unless you're in the same location.

Yes, I understand some/most participants on this thread want to read about some sort of price before tax/license. To me this does not make good sense. Specifically, if I live in an 8.5% tax city and someone else lives in a 6% tax city, while another guy lives in a 10% city...... so what ? The fact is we all have to pay whatever the tax is in our respective home area/city.
So, I believe it makes more sense for CX-5 owners to call out their out the door prices. For example, on a CX-5 a 2% tax difference (from one city to the next) equates to about $600.
Why make this thread topic absurdly complicated because of a possible $400 to $800 difference in buyer tax obligations ?
Furthermore, when discussing price with a dealer , why talk any number except the out the door price you're willing to pay ?

If i live in So Carolina where I pay a flat tax of $250 and my GT is $32k OTD and you live in Chicago where tax is 10% and your OTD price because of tax alone is $35K. That's not comparable. I'm going to say you got a s*** deal, because you're paying 3 grand more. Our pre TTL price is the same. But that's all tax. I can't negotiate down to your price because our tax is different.
And there is no furthermore because we're not talking about the dealer pricing discussion. Period.
It makes no sense to judge deals on OTD.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand some/most participants on this thread want to read about some sort of price before tax/license. To me this does not make good sense. Specifically, if I live in an 8.5% tax city and someone else lives in a 6% tax city, while another guy lives in a 10% city...... so what ? The fact is we all have to pay whatever the tax is in our respective home area/city.
So, I believe it makes more sense for CX-5 owners to call out their out the door prices. For example, on a CX-5 a 2% tax difference (from one city to the next) equates to about $600.
Why make this thread topic absurdly complicated because of a possible $400 to $800 difference in buyer tax obligations ?
Furthermore, when discussing price with a dealer , why talk any number except the out the door price you're willing to pay ?

You are the one making it more complicated. As noted by others, taxes and license fees vary, so they are meaningless when comparing prices. Have to keep it apples to apples.

Kinda illogical to go by OTD (for the purpose of this thread anyway), because as you say, people live in variable tax areas, so how the hell are they going to be able to come on here in this thread and compare if they are getting good deals? Need apples to apples numbers. I'm not going to sit there and backwards calculate your sale price to come up with your discount off MSRP.

THAT is adding the "absurd complication" as you call it.

Taxes are taxes, so the only number we care about is sale price of the vehicle. Only way to know if it was a good deal or not. Taxes are taxes, so I don't see their relevance to a thread like this on a forum like this with member spread out all over the place.

Last edited:
Kinda illogical to go by OTD (for the purpose of this thread anyway), because as you say, people live in variable tax areas, so how the hell are they going to be able to come on here in this thread and compare if they are getting good deals? Need apples to apples numbers. I'm not going to sit there and backwards calculate your sale price to come up with your discount off MSRP.

THAT is adding the "absurd complication" as you call it.

Taxes are taxes, so the only number we care about is sale price of the vehicle. Only way to know if it was a good deal or not. Taxes are taxes, so I don't see their relevance to a thread like this on a forum like this with member spread out all over the place.

Not really. In addition to tax and license there are other fees dealers may or may not be adding to the final out the door price of the vehicle.
And, as I wrote earlier , the difference in taxes from one location to the next is a range of about $200 to $700, which is a relatively insignificant dollar amount.
So, while one buyer may pay $375 more in taxes than another buyer, citing out the door (OTD) prices is still the best apples-to-apples comparison.

Not really. In addition to tax and license there are other fees dealers may or may not be adding to the final out the door price of the vehicle.
And, as I wrote earlier , the difference in taxes from one location to the next is a range of about $200 to $700, which is a relatively insignificant dollar amount.
So, while one buyer may pay $375 more in taxes than another buyer, citing out the door (OTD) prices is still the best apples-to-apples comparison.
Wow really...think again. Some states have no to low tax whereas a 10% tax on say 32,000 is what....$3200? Big difference!

Sorry I get what you are saying for OTD being all you care about as the person paying, but again, makes zero sense for a thread like this where the variation of taxed and fees is absolutely large enough to make it not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
Back