What did you pay for your CX-5?

...That's all that matters.

If you want this thread to have any relevance or usefulness for other posters/viewers, then the statement above is NOT true.

The entire purpose of this thread is to provide relevant, meaningful, apples-to-apples prices paid.
It is not meant to be a collection of false/incorrect humble brags about how great a deal someone got.

Fortunately, rocketman provided all of the information necessary for educated readers to calculate the actual price paid.

Unfortunately, the majority of posts here are completely useless, because they either...
- Post only an OTD price, which is meaningless to anyone outside that persons town.
- Post a selling price, but bundle the taxes and junk dealer feed/add-ons together (i.e. "Total fees and taxes - $x,xxx")

Neither of these posting methods is helpful or meaningful in any way.

Last edited:
If you want this thread to have any relevance or usefulness for other posters/viewers, then the statement above is NOT true...

I think you're reading too far into it. His comment was directed at Rockethead, not the entire community. It's all that matters, because his deal is done and behind him. There's always someone that will get a better deal than you, unless your name is Nelson. :)

I don't forward anything to another dealer. I give them each their own chance first & follow up with MY final offer to them. Some you never hear from again while others will negotiate.

Ditto. They do need to work on their own, but it depends on what stage of the process of negotiating you're in. Early stages, no way. End stage, absolutely. I do give a second opportunity to comply with my initial request for quote to those that fail to submit their offer exactly as I had requested. Those still in the hunt after that also receive a "best and final price?", last-chance, email before I submit my trade info and subsequently narrow down my list to the top 2 or 3 I'll waste time actually scheduling an appointment to visit (need to verify the trade condition is what I've stated it is, and rightly so). In the case of the CX-5 purchase, the winning dealer threw more in for the trade upon actually laying eyes on it to seal the deal so I didn't need to waste time keeping #2's appointment. I only had to visit the top dealer on the list I posted above (works for me!). #2 couldn't / wouldn't beat #1's on the spot offer when I called to inform of what was on the table at that very moment in time. Saved me time and mileage not having to bother w/ #2.

To add to the above by meow_man, many are never heard from after the initial contact...tells you all you need to know about 'dealing' with those dealers in the first place.

Last edited:
Hello all, new to the forum here. I joined the CX-5 owners club this past Saturday. I've had my eyes on the CX-5 Sig or GTR all year and finally noticed that 2020s were showing up at dealers. If I was going to get a deal, this would be the best time, while there was still a little selection of 2019s left. I thought I would low-ball a bit just to see if they would bite, thinking they wouldn't...but they did. With a low-ball from me and a little haggling, I landed a GTR for $31,900 + tax + title + tag, or $32,700 out the door. I felt pretty good about that. I love the GTR! Now seems to be a great time to buy!

Good job @congaree. May I ask, did your deal include any rebates? What was the processing fee?

Hi @Tomato, yes it included a $1500 rebate. They basically worked backward from the $32,700 OTD price we negotiated. They just took the $32,700 negotiated price and plugged it into the invoice to make it all work. Here is the breakdown:

SELLING PRICE - $33,400.00
CLOSING FEE - $225.00
LICENSE/TITLE - $55.00
IMF (TAX) - $500.00
EVR (??) - $26.50
TOTAL - $34,206.50

REBATE - (-)$1,500.00

NET DUE - $32,706.50

Hi @Tomato, yes it included a $1500 rebate. They basically worked backward from the $32,700 OTD price we negotiated. They just took the $32,700 negotiated price and plugged it into the invoice to make it all work. Here is the breakdown:

CLOSING FEE - $225.00
LICENSE/TITLE - $55.00
IMF (TAX) - $500.00
EVR (??) - $26.50
TOTAL - $34,206.50

REBATE - (-)$1,500.00

NET DUE - $32,706.50

Like you Congaree, I'm new to this forum. But, not new to Mazda as my wife and I purchased a 3 in 2017 and love that car. We are planning to replace our other car (2005 Subaru Forester) with a 2019 CX-5 GTR. I'm a bit confused by your numbers. In your prior post, you mentioned a price of $31,900 plus tax, title, etc. This one breaks stuff out, but starts with $33,400. Is the difference the sales tax in your state? I'm fortunate, in NH I don't pay sales tax. So, pricing before sales tax is really key for me. Any light you can shed would be great. BTW, what color did you get?

Like you Congaree, I'm new to this forum. But, not new to Mazda as my wife and I purchased a 3 in 2017 and love that car. We are planning to replace our other car (2005 Subaru Forester) with a 2019 CX-5 GTR. I'm a bit confused by your numbers. In your prior post, you mentioned a price of $31,900 plus tax, title, etc. This one breaks stuff out, but starts with $33,400. Is the difference the sales tax in your state? I'm fortunate, in NH I don't pay sales tax. So, pricing before sales tax is really key for me. Any light you can shed would be great. BTW, what color did you get?

Hi freeportd, I did a poor job on my first post, as I basically half-way followed the way I saw others post their numbers. That is the way I made the deal, with an OTD offer, ignoring the details of the line items used to get there, then working backward again in my first post. The $31,900 I originally posted does not (as I had mistakenly originally posted), include the other fees in the deal. The $31,900 is just the selling price minus the rebate ($33,400 - $1,500) for the net sale price. Apologies to all who I confused with that.

So, for the price without sales tax, just subtract $500 from $32,706.60 (you lucky dog).

The color was Sonic Silver, btw, with a black interior. There weren't many color choices left in stock at that point, but I happen to like the color, so it's all good.

Last edited:

CLOSING FEE - $225.00
LICENSE/TITLE - $55.00
IMF (TAX) - $500.00
EVR (??) - $26.50
TOTAL - $34,206.50

REBATE - (-)$1,500.00

NET DUE - $32,706.50

Was there a trade in, as $500 of tax is awesome. I had over $2k in just tax.

Was there a trade in, as $500 of tax is awesome. I had over $2k in just tax.

No trade-in and I didn't finance it. The tax on cars in SC is 6% capped at $500, so that is pretty good...but nowhere near as good as New Hampshire, which according to freeportd, has no tax at all on cars.

Thanks for the clarification - congaree. Because I'm a current Mazda owner (we're keeping our 2017 "3" and selling our 2005 Subaru) - I'll also get the $750 loyalty rebate. So, if my math is correct - to get a deal like yours I should shoot for $31, 456.60. And, I'm hoping that Mazda will increase the current $1,000 CX-5 incentive to $1,500 for year-end. If that happens, to get your deal I'd be at $30,956.60. I get this by:

$32,706.60 your sales price
-$500 sales tax you paid that I wouldn't in NH
-$750 Mazda loyalty rebate (you didn't mention you got this)
-------------
$31,456.60

-$500 assumes Mazda increases current CX-5 incentive to $1,500 (from $1,000 that you got)
--------------
$30,956.60

I'd still have to add in doc, title and whatever other fees, but do these numbers make sense? I'd like to think I'm out the door for less than $31,500 for a GT-R. I like the blue colors, so no upcharge for paint compared to yours. Obviously a bit higher for "premium" colors.

So anyone - what am I missing? Thanks!

Hi freeportd, I did a poor job on my first post, as I basically half-way followed the way I saw others post their numbers. That is the way I made the deal, with an OTD offer, ignoring the details of the line items used to get there, then working backward again in my first post. The $31,900 I originally posted does not (as I had mistakenly originally posted), include the other fees in the deal. The $31,900 is just the selling price minus the rebate ($33,400 - $1,500) for the net sale price. Apologies to all who I confused with that.

So, for the price without sales tax, just subtract $500 from $32,706.60 (you lucky dog).

The color was Sonic Silver, btw, with a black interior. There weren't many color choices left in stock at that point, but I happen to like the color, so it's all good.

Thanks for the clarification - congaree. Because I'm a current Mazda owner (we're keeping our 2017 "3" and selling our 2005 Subaru) - I'll also get the $750 loyalty rebate. So, if my math is correct - to get a deal like yours I should shoot for $31, 456.60. And, I'm hoping that Mazda will increase the current $1,000 CX-5 incentive to $1,500 for year-end. If that happens, to get your deal I'd be at $30,956.60. I get this by:

$32,706.60 your sales price
-$500 sales tax you paid that I wouldn't in NH
-$750 Mazda loyalty rebate (you didn't mention you got this)
-------------
$31,456.60

-$500 assumes Mazda increases current CX-5 incentive to $1,500 (from $1,000 that you got)
--------------
$30,956.60

I'd still have to add in doc, title and whatever other fees, but do these numbers make sense? I'd like to think I'm out the door for less than $31,500 for a GT-R. I like the blue colors, so no upcharge for paint compared to yours. Obviously a bit higher for "premium" colors.

So anyone - what am I missing? Thanks![/
Color choices might be getting limited.

Trying to buy a 2019 CX5 Touring AWD.
(Grey metallic)

Current best quote is $23,700 (sale price)+$1045(Destination fee)+$300(Dealer fee)+$366(registration charges)+($1607 sales tax)

OTD $27,018.

Should I pull the trigger?

Trying to buy a 2019 CX5 Touring AWD.
(Grey metallic)

Current best quote is $23,700 (sale price)+$1045(Destination fee)+$300(Dealer fee)+$366(registration charges)+($1607 sales tax)

OTD $27,018.

Should I pull the trigger?

Depending where you live, have them throw in all-weather mats, and perhaps mud flaps. And say you have a deal.
Cheers!

I joined today. I bought my wife a Soul Red 2019 Touring with the Touring Preferred package. Decided I liked it well enough. Not sure how I did. I went out to buy a used CX-5. I just found many of the used car dealers having hidden fees. I wanted to handle it all over the phone or email. We previously test drove new and used Honda CR-V, and Toyota RAV4s as well. I'm a Toyota guy, but wife liked the Mazda the best so that's what we got. I had one offer for below, but they dealer had a D BBB rating
Touring w/ Preferred Package
MSRP 29035
Invoice 28119
Customer Cash 1500
Regional Customer Cash 500
Store Discount 1500
Total 24619+ttl
at standard rates...

I paid 25,700 +TTL , no BS, dealer was A+ BBB so felt a little better not having any surprises or hidden dealer add ons. I probably could have done better at other dealer maybe $1000 hard to say. Soul Red MSRP is a little higher, but wife liked it. Hope I did okay. I passed on all the extended warranties as well

Been on this site for a while and finally got our 2019 GT-R in White yesterday.

Zip code: 11367 (Queens, NY)
MSRP: $36115
Selling price: $23941
OTD: $36188 (with 1 free service & wheel lock)
We went with the .09% APR with $500 down, no rebates or loyalty discount. No extended warranties or other packages added.

It might not be the BEST price but considered we've been looking since September and back then no one would budge except $1000 off and that's it. So we are pretty happy about the price :)

We went with the .09% APR with $500 down, no rebates or loyalty discount. No extended warranties or other packages added.

It might not be the BEST price but considered we've been looking since September and back then no one would budge except $1000 off and that's it. So we are pretty happy about the price :)

Congratulations on your purchase! It's an awesome vehicle and hopefully it brings you years of reliable and fun service. I hope to join the ranks of CX-5 owners in the near future - with the same model you purchased. I currently own a '3' and love it. I'm encouraged that you've seen some 'thawing' in the price rigidity that you experienced in September. My hope is that the thaw continues - and maybe Mazda even bumps the $1,000 rebate to $1,500 as they try to create space for the soon to be delivered 2020s.

I'm in New Hampshire, so a bit further northeast than you. Not sure if that makes my negotiations easier or harder, but I'll do my best! Luckily I'm in no hurry as my 2005 Forester continues to do great....albeit a bit boringly...

Have fun in your new ride!

Congrats and you did better than I did on the price. Enjoy your new GT-R. My wife and I are certainly enjoying ours!

@34blast...can't hardly argue with that deal. What a great time to be buying! You might want to reconsider on the Mazda extended B2B warranty w/ all the tech in the car (unless you don't plan to keep it long past std. B2B). With some further negotiations, one can probably be had for @$1k. You can buy from any dealer post sale. Dealer I bought the car from was much higher than the dealer near my work, so I purchased it there for $1200. After car selling dealer learned I bought warranty somewhere else, they offered to sell to me at their cost, supposedly $800 if I went back and cancelled the one I'd purchased. First time ever negotiating a warranty price, so now I know. ( I did not cancel, btw. A deals a deal). This is the 9/yr, 100k, $100 deductable Mazda factory warranty...not a 3rd party warranty that the dealers prefer to peddle.

Everything I've read says say no to extended warranties. They offered Ally, the one that covers everything except exclusions. First at 2600 for 10Y 150K, but with $200 deductible. Then at 0 deductible for 2900. Mazda one for 100K at 2300. Anything worth buy can be purchased later. I might try to negotiate one later, we do keep our cars forever. Maybe I'll search or make a topic relating to price of warranties and what was worth it.

Back