2012 Mazda5 Rear Shocks Scraping?

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
Since we've had almost no winter here and the forecast is calling for nothing but ~50 degrees and warmer from this point on, I decided to switch out my winter wheels/tires for my all-seasons. When I took the rear wheels off look what I discovered:

Left shock, scrape is only on the front side:
022612142301.jpg

Right shock, scrape is only on the back side:
022612141600.jpg

Anyone see anything like this before? Does this happen on your 5? Do you have any thoughts on cause?

- Orang

what size wheels and tires?

I've been running 17x7 wheels (53mm offset) with 215/50R17 Blizzaks for the last 2 months (bought off Craigslist) and notice a very faint rubbing from the front, but when I had the car jacked up it spun freely.
Curious to see if the shock looks like yours when I switch back to the stock 16"ers next month...

My winters were steel 16" running 205/60 16s. The tread height is 05 taller but everything else is the same. I have no idea about the offset, though. There's no noticeable rubbing on the tires or wheels and the scraping on the shocks isn't anywhere that the wheels/tires would have touched them.

Looks to me like the upper cover is rubbing the shock. You usually can just grab the thing and recenter it if it bothers you. Sand lightly and hit it with some Rustoleum if the rust bothers you, too.

Last edited:
Back