New member w/ '02 Protege 5, looking for input...

RADthompson07

:
Mazda Protege 5
Hey guys. Im new on here and this last friday my wife and I bought an '02 Protege 5 with 91k miles, and I wanna do a little modding on it. Before I get started I would like a little feedback from people that have already done some of these things.

Should I go Cold Air intake or short ram intake?
Ive been looking at Megan exhaust. How is it?
I hate the stock headlights and taillights, and looking more for euro style. What should I look at?
also, getting new wheels and tires. 17's or 18's?

If you have any more advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to add about 50-75hp to the stock 130hp motor, but if i could somehow get 100hp more on a tight limited budget, i would be even more happier. Please give me some feedback.

Tailights - JDM tails, or you could go ricey on ebay. Headlights you could do a retrofit or try for the canadian p5 headlights that are black

SRI if you're worried about sucking up water, if not CAI

If you like rubberbands for tires 18" wheels, if not 17" wheels are perfect

for that amount of horsepower gain, turbo or supercharger or a KL swap

thanks for the feed back. When you say a retrofit on the headlights, what do you mean? and also what do you mean by sucking up water? thank you again for the feedback its greatly appreciated. Also, do you know anything about Megan exhausts? and what kind of headers would be a good choice to look at?

retrofits... some people like to "retrofit" HID projectors in to their headlights. check out bikingpro5's car.

IMG_0010.jpg

Since a CAI is closer to the ground, if it gets submerged in a puddle while driving, your car is now drinking through a straw instead of breathing through a snorkel. Bad things happen. An SRI is up higher so this wouldn't happen unless you drove in to a lake, in which case, you have bigger problems.

Also, if you want black headlights, don't buy the Canadian ones... they're expensive. Just take apart your headlights and paint the housing with some hi-temp paint, muuuuuch cheaper.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123770497-How-To-Protege5-TSX-Projector-Retrofit

Good call on the how-to, forgot about that.

Back