Curt hitch

chunky709

:
2012 cx9
installed new curt hitch today, took about 30 min...good to have an extra set of hands,,looks good. took longer to tighten bolts than to put hitch in

Attachments

• IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    822 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
I am looking at buying the same hitch. I see that Amazon has them for $132.00 + free shipping.

I have a question. I have a 2012 GT with the towing package. Beside this hitch, do I need to buy the wiring too?

Thanks

mine did not have towing package,,,bought wiring from curt...have to run wire to battery,,if it does not have the connect for the trailer lights ,,you will need to buy this quick connect,,look at this tread
Thread: CX-9 Hidden Hitch Install with Mazda OEM wiring harness (pictures) --- found mine on amazon .. got it roe 103.00-6.42 shipping

Last edited:
I am looking at buying the same hitch. I see that Amazon has them for $132.00 + free shipping.

I have a question. I have a 2012 GT with the towing package. Beside this hitch, do I need to buy the wiring too?

Thanks
With 2012 model, if you have tow prep package, the wiring is already done to the cargo area (inside, and in front of the rear bumper).
You only need a kit to plug it in (someone already replied it to you in other thread).
This pre-wiring was not there for vehicle w/o Tow-Prep. One has to run the wires to the battery.

I am trying to determine if a Thule Vertex 5 bike rack will work with the Curt hitch on my CX-9. On the Vertex, the distance from the center of the hitch pin hole to the back of the hub where the rack tilts, is 6-1/4 inches. Does the Curt provide this much clearance when installed on your CX-9? Thanks for your help!

this trailer hitch is listed at hitch anything for $130.00 w/ free ship

I am trying to determine if a Thule Vertex 5 bike rack will work with the Curt hitch on my CX-9. On the Vertex, the distance from the center of the hitch pin hole to the back of the hub where the rack tilts, is 6-1/4 inches. Does the Curt provide this much clearance when installed on your CX-9? Thanks for your help!

I have the Yakima DoubleDown Ace on my CX-9 with the Curt hitch. According to etrailer, it says it's 9" from center of hitch pin hole to upright mast (which is approx where the tilting pivot point is). I think the Vertex might be tight. If my Yakima was 3" closer to the bumper, it would be quite a close call with the mast as well as the liftgate opening arc.

I installed this hitch the other day and it didn't go as smoothly as expected. My CX-9 has 70,000 Northeast miles on it. The holes in the frame turned out to be very rusted. The whole process took an extra hour to track down and set up a drill with a wire brush to clean out the holes. After that it went pretty smoothly. If you're installing the hitch on a newer car this wouldn't be a problem.

Also, the rust problem wasn't discovered until the hitch was in place. So I got to line it up two times. Here's what I learned. It is much easier if you lead the hitch up at an almost 90 degree angle with the arms facing up and the hitch receiver facing towards the ground. Then you can sort of snake the the arms up to where they attach to the frame with limited interference from the muffler heat shields and rear bumper.

I have the Yakima DoubleDown Ace on my CX-9 with the Curt hitch. According to etrailer, it says it's 9" from center of hitch pin hole to upright mast (which is approx where the tilting pivot point is). I think the Vertex might be tight. If my Yakima was 3" closer to the bumper, it would be quite a close call with the mast as well as the liftgate opening arc.

I have the Allen Sports Premium 5-Bike Hitch Mount Rack

It fits well and is sturdy, but you can not open the lift gate with the rack in the upright position. It's a great basic rack for those that don't want to spend a ton. I only have it on when I'm using it.

I am looking to install a Curt hitch on our 2008. It did not come with the tow package. Will I need a wiring harness from Curt or Mazda?

I also did this install. Fortunately I didn't have the issues sjg did, ours only had 300 miles on it.

I'm going to look for/at the other thread about wiring. Ours does have the tow package and I saw a 6 pin connector under the cargo tray but have a question. Is the part 8E-N13 just a plug on each end or is there some sort of convertor inline?
This one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

And has anybody fund a better price?

Last edited:
Back