15 or 16 wheels?

Jond63

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring Liquid Silver
I'm still trying to decide on wheels, and toying with +1 -ing with 195/45/16 rp-f1s vs going with the 205/50/15. These tire sizes seem to be closest to stock diameter -- which would be better for aggressive street/occasional auto-x TO? I'd probably pair these with Eibach springs and Corksport rear bar...

unless you spend a fortune i think you will find most 16' wheels and tires will be heavier which will loose fuel economy and torque ..im going to stay with 15's but go wider say 7.5 inch the added weight will be minor

16's if you're only lowering with springs, 15's if you do it right and buy some coilovers.

i would also look into getting a different set for daily driving and autox. you'll want at least a summer performance tire on that wheel and you won't want to run those in the winter.

Last edited:
I have 16" as standard. I think that is nice to drive on. 195/45 tyres on them.

If you're going 16" I'd go Kosei K4R over the RPF1. You get an extra half inch in width and your still a tenth of a pound lighter. Tire Rack has the K4R in a light gray that would look sick on the liquid silver. IMO.

You'll also save yourself almost $200. You have to search for wheels for the 2004 miata... they don't show up for the 2.

Last edited:
I am heavily considering the Konig Daylites in gold due to only being 13.5 lbs for a 16x7 wheel. I'd love to stay with a 15" but fear there would be too much wheel gap for my liking.

when you say that, is that just because it's only a +40 offset?

+40 won't push the wheel out anymore than the stockers correct?

Not necessarily. You have to take the width of the wheel into account. If you're working with a 7.5" wide wheel with a +40 offset, you have like 50+mm from the mounting surface to the outside of the wheel. A 6" wide wheel with the same offset would be tucked in 20mm further than the 7.5" wheel (roughly). For the way that I understand offset, the basic equation would be to convert inches to millimeters on the width, divide by 2, then subtract the positive offset (for negative offset you would add). The resulting number is the distance from the hub face to the outside of the wheel. So on the previously mentioned 7.5" wheel you would take 190.5mm/2 = 95.25mm - 40 (offset) = 55.25mm from the hub face to the outside of the wheel. The same equation with the stock wheel gives you 36.2mm from the hub face to the wheel. So the 7.5" gets you almost 9/10th of an inch closer to flush.

Back