Exedy Stage 1 Clutch vs. ACT Heavy Duty Street/Strip Clutch vs.OEM

adzamzoom

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege,1999 Protege ES and 2000 Mazda MPV ES
My clutch is about to go any day now and I wanted to know what experience any of you have had with ACT or Exedy clutches compared to the OEM I'm running stock with an AEM cold air induction. I auto cross regularly and do the ocational track day. This is also my daily drive 75miles round trip so I dont really want more clutch than I need due to stop and go rush hour traffic.
Im also considering a light weight fly wheel while Im at it. Any suggestions? Thanks for your feedback!

From research, not first hand experience. The exedy stage 1 is plenty for any MSP on street tires. I have a Mazdaspeed lightened flywheel from corksport that I bought for when my clutch goes, but it just keeps chugging along, and still easily out matches my RE760 tires into 1st or 2nd. I know as soon as I sell the flywheel though, my clutch will start slipping.

Exedy makes the factory supplied OEM clutch set in there now. So if you are happy with the way it has performed then I'd say either get another one or the slightly upgraded Stage 1 kit. As for the flywheel I'd say simply get yours resurfaced unless its beyond doing so. A lightened flywheel is not a must have item.

My clutch is about to go any day now and I wanted to know what experience any of you have had with ACT or Exedy clutches compared to the OEM I'm running stock with an AEM cold air induction. I auto cross regularly and do the ocational track day. This is also my daily drive 75miles round trip so I don’t really want more clutch than I need due to stop and go rush hour traffic.
I’m also considering a light weight fly wheel while I’m at it. Any suggestions? Thanks for your feedback!
I just Bought a Stage 1 Exedy Clutch kit and im getting it installed this week. I would go with an AWR aluminum Light Weight Fly wheel there the best! There fly wheels only weigh 9 pounds click here http://store.awrracing.com/flywheel-lightweight-aluminum/

I have about 40,000 miles on my Exedy Stage 1 and several track days and a ton of autocrossing. I've had no problems with it at all. Better than stock, although it can still get it pretty hot in traffic!

Oh good. I have Prime so it should be free two day. Thanks.

I searched for Exedy Stage 1 Protege and it returned two different kits.

08801A and 06803B, there is a pretty big price difference.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

OK, if I look at their description, one is for a Del Sol and one is for a Silvia. So I guess amazon doesn't have one for our car?

Ok checked Ebay. This looks like the best deal. $305 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Good call. So the one on Ebay is definitely right. Hmm, $305. May have to wait until next year, I've kind of reached my arbitrary limit on expenses on the MSP for this winter. I'll see what the weather is like when I've got her back to daily driver duty.

I just got a exedy stage 1 clutch kit from cross over auto for $290. check them out they have good prices.Got my flywheel resurfaced.My friend and I installed it .Ive had no problems with it.I love it. part # is 10807

Last edited:
Yeah I've bought a bunch of stuff from Sam and he charges $15 for shipping I think, so if he's the same price, I'll go with him to keep our vendors going.

I've been wondering about the OEM replacement too, but I usually follow the rule of upgrade anything you replace. Since it is half the price, maybe that makes sense. I don't plan on every making a ton of power.

On Exedy's site the OE replacement clutch does not list the Mazdaspeed is a fit, the model number is KMZ08. I don't see them list any maximum torque specifications. Anyone know what the difference would be? I think 250 ft-lb would be safe.

the exedy stage 1 is a fantastic clutch for the MSP. it is a bit more expensive than the OEM one but it is well worth it. Remember to break it in properly, but once it is broken in it will launch pretty good. since I upgraded from stock I routinely have to back off of the power in 1st gear as it is so responsive it is making my tires spin. You don't need the flywheel unless you are planning on doing some serious racing. however if you have the money you should do it as changing it later will involve buying a new clutch. and as far as resurfacing your clutch. using a cookie scrubber pad is more than enough to clean it unless it has some serious damage. just be careful and make sure to not take too much off. if you haven't done a clutch job before having it resurfaced professionally might not be a bad idea.

Back