Oil Change Interval Oil Filter

Z-Thrizzle

:
Mazda CX-9, BMW MZ3 Roadster
Oil Change Interval Oil Filter

I just did my first oil change on my CPO CX-9. The records doesnt show what type of oil the dealer used before we took the car. Though we put 5k miles on it with one quart added and the oil analysis came out good. I also had them test the additives in the oil for possible extended use and it also came out good.

(Blackstone report) "The TBN was still strong at 3.5, so lots of active additive was left. 1.0 is low. Try going up to 7,000 miles on the next oil."

So my question is regarding the oil filter. In my BMW Im using full synthetic and change the oil around 6k miles. Though I change the oil filter at ever 3k miles. The reason being is from my understanding oil filters are mainly effective 3k-4k miles. This I plan on changing the CX-9s every 3k. does anybody else do this? Or are these oil filters made to last longer?

I use Mobile One "extended performance" oil filters. They are supposed to be rated for at least 15k miles, yet I change my full synthetic Mobile One @ 5k intervals, along with said oil filter.

I use Mobile One "extended performance" oil filters. They are supposed to be rated for at least 15k miles, yet I change my full synthetic Mobile One @ 5k intervals, along with said oil filter.
Thanks I'll get that oil filter when I use up the OEM ones that I already have.

people are fiercely opinionated about oil change intervals...so responses you're likely to get will vary widely. but 3k is far to frequent in my opinion. plenty of useful life still in the filter under normal driving conditions. just change both per the recommended schedule, or if you're like me, i use synthetic so i do oil/filter probably every 7k miles or 6 months. i could probably go longer using synthetic but it's what i'm comfortable with.

people are fiercely opinionated about oil change intervals...so responses you're likely to get will vary widely. but 3k is far to frequent in my opinion. plenty of useful life still in the filter under normal driving conditions. just change both per the recommended schedule, or if you're like me, i use synthetic so i do oil/filter probably every 7k miles or 6 months. i could probably go longer using synthetic but it's what i'm comfortable with.
So true everybody got an opinion about oil but not too many have facts. That's why I just have my oil tested and make adjustments accordingly based on the details of the results.

The OM does not give longer interval for using synthetic oil. I'd recommend keeping it at 5K for sake of warranty coverage.
After that, you can do whatever you feel right.

If you have the dealer do it once, they will put the sticker in the corner of the window and then use that interval, time or miles for future changes. Just make sure to save and document everything. If a warranty claim does happen with the engine the first thing Mazda will want to see is if the service has been performed at the required intervals.

Back