2008 Mazda5, banging/rattling noise in front suspension

damauldin

:
2008 Mazda5 Sport, 63k miles
I have a 2008 Mazda5, and it makes this really annoying, banging or rattling type noise in the front. At highway speeds, it either doesn't do it, or you just can't hear it. But at slower speeds, its there at almost every bump or dip in the road. But not always, only about 75% of the time. The car drives wonderfully, but the noise is very noticeable. I researched several hours online, and found different theories, but can't pinpoint one single solution. The loose cowl hitting the windshield seems like it might make the right kind of noise. To me, maybe the wind at the higher speeds keeps it pinned down or something??? Any thoughts on that? I checked the sway bar links and they are not loose at all. I haven't checked the sway bar bushings, which seems to always come up when I search this problem. I haven't tried anything yet, but the noise is driving me crazy. Its kind of embarrasing when someone is riding with me! Any thoughts, opinions, solutions, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has actually solved this problem or if there is a TSB on it for 2008 models, please post it. Thank you!

How many miles are on the vehicle? I am leaning towards something like the sway bar end links. When you are hitting the bumps the suspension is compressing which could be causing the noise. I would also check the brake pads. If they are loose on the carriers, they could cause noise when hitting a bump. If you are on a bumpy road and the noise is persistent until you apply the brakes, that could be your issue. Good luck.

I have a 2008 Mazda5, and it makes this really annoying, banging or rattling type noise in the front. At highway speeds, it either doesn't do it, or you just can't hear it. But at slower speeds, its there at almost every bump or dip in the road. But not always, only about 75% of the time. The car drives wonderfully, but the noise is very noticeable. I researched several hours online, and found different theories, but can't pinpoint one single solution. The loose cowl hitting the windshield seems like it might make the right kind of noise. To me, maybe the wind at the higher speeds keeps it pinned down or something??? Any thoughts on that? I checked the sway bar links and they are not loose at all. I haven't checked the sway bar bushings, which seems to always come up when I search this problem. I haven't tried anything yet, but the noise is driving me crazy. Its kind of embarrasing when someone is riding with me! Any thoughts, opinions, solutions, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has actually solved this problem or if there is a TSB on it for 2008 models, please post it. Thank you!

I think I have the same problem as you. I don't even remember anymore when it started. I have a 07 with 24,000 miles. I'm gonna try to have it inspected by a mechanic when I get a chance, hopefully it doesn't make anything worse until then.

I went through the same issues and thought something in the rear suspension was loose, like the shock. And the noise in the front was like a clunking sound over uneven roads at city speeds. I was convinced it was swing arm bushings, but after reading the TSB's saw that my s/n was not in the range that had those problems. The noise was driving me crazy, so I finally decided to start with the cheapest things first. I ordered new oem front and rear sway bushings online for about $35. Put the car on ramps and installed the rear (easiest) first. Drove around the block and noticed alittle quieter. Put in the fronts and expected no change, but in fact, the noises were all Gone. I still cannot fathom how those noises could be related to the bushings, but they were. It started around 17k. I was an idiot not taking it in under warranty, but laziness prevailed. The old bushings I took out looked fine, but the new ones do have differences.

It has 63000 miles on it. I just have bought the car about 2 weeks ago, and when I test drove it, I never heard the noise. I test drove it twice before I bought it too! Then heard the noise the very next day.....bummer. How can you tell if the links are bad? I took the wheels off and pushed and pulled on the links but didn't feel any play in them. I will keep trying and looking because the noise is aggravating!

I went through the same issues and thought something in the rear suspension was loose, like the shock. And the noise in the front was like a clunking sound over uneven roads at city speeds. I was convinced it was swing arm bushings, but after reading the TSB's saw that my s/n was not in the range that had those problems. The noise was driving me crazy, so I finally decided to start with the cheapest things first. I ordered new oem front and rear sway bushings online for about $35. Put the car on ramps and installed the rear (easiest) first. Drove around the block and noticed alittle quieter. Put in the fronts and expected no change, but in fact, the noises were all Gone. I still cannot fathom how those noises could be related to the bushings, but they were. It started around 17k. I was an idiot not taking it in under warranty, but laziness prevailed. The old bushings I took out looked fine, but the new ones do have differences.

That's my guess actually, since there is a lot of talk about the bushings going bad quickly on this car. And the noise is inconsistent, when driving on a speed bump I don't hear it, only when the road is uneven, I guess when one side only goes up and down, that lead me to believe it has something to do with the sway bar. I too didn't bring it to the dealer when I still had the warranty, although I don't remember if and when it actually started.

Exact same thing as our 07, replaced the sway bar bushings front and rear. Gone. $35 from onlinemazdaparts.com and should of done the fix 2 years ago.

I have 2007 Sport from brand new and noticed the occasional rattling noise around the front suspension, usually happened when turning and going up and down multi-storey carpark spirals. it turned out it was my front suspension that caused the noise, so got it changed off warranty, problem solved since

i have a similar issue with a clunking/banging noise on my 2010 it started around 15k miles, went to the dealer and they couldnt reproduce the noise, it seems to happen more when its cold which is rare in texas. It finally god cool again and its back so i guess back to dealer i go.

i have a similar issue with a clunking/banging noise on my 2010 it started around 15k miles, went to the dealer and they couldnt reproduce the noise, it seems to happen more when its cold which is rare in texas. It finally god cool again and its back so i guess back to dealer i go.

Classic sign that it's bushings. I don't hear about end links going bad early on these cars. I do hear about bushings "going bad" constantly. Start with the obvious.

Hi all, I have had the same problem with my '08 5 with 42k kms. In the fall I had the rear bushings replaced which solved the squeak for about 4 weeks, and then it returned. Could this fix only last a month? Now the front is squeaking! Arrgh! So embarassing as damauldin said above. I just talked to the Stealership and they said that its a normal noise and not something that can be permanently fixed. Really!?! So my car is destined to squeak like a buckboard wagon forever? The right front also sounds like there is a rotational problem. Occasionally rattle/light grind on slightly rough roads. I took everything out of the glove box to make sure it wasn't something in there but the noise has persisted. I also checked the brake pad but all looks good. Any thoughts? I have made another appointment to have them look at it. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket bushing that may not squeak so readily? Thanks for your help/thoughts.

Had my mechanic buddy come over today and take the bushings apart and lube them with the lithium grease. It made a very slight difference. In the end, after letting him take it for a drive, he thought that the coil springs may be the culprit of the squeak and occasional bang over speed bumps. Sure enough on closer inspection the coil spring seems to be rubbing on the top where it is seated, the cross member? This was evidenced by the black paint on both parts being worn away and a 1/2" section appearing rusty. I look forward to what the Stealership will have to say about this as it should be covered by the extended warranty if found to be the cause of the noise. Will keep you posted.

I've had my 07 Mazda 5 for a few months now. It's at 94000 KM. I have the clunk/squeak noise as well. My cars VIN is within range of the TSB (Noise from front or rear suspension when passing over a bump or driving on uneven road). As per recommendations by my mechanic, back in January this year, i replaced 2 rear sway bar bushings and 2 rear sway bar end links. I also replaced both front strut assembly (Strut, mount and spring - Monroe sena-trac).. cuzz they were leaking. Noise was still there so I took it to the stealership a week ago. They said the front struts are leaking again and they suggested replacing a whole lot of stuff:
-front struts
-rear shocks
-front and rear control arms
-front and rear end links

The front struts are still under warranty but this is still gonna cost me a pretty penny obviously. From reading what others have wrote on this suspension problem, it seems I'll probably have to change everything again after 6 months or a year. Guess the 07 Mazda 5 suspension just sucks!

First thing you have to find out is if the TSB has been done on your vehicle (I suspect not, given you have the squeeking still). I have a 2006 and had the TSB done 5 years ago. No squeeks from my front suspension due to the control arms since then! The struts and other items seem to last as long as most vehicles. I just had my rear sway bar bushings and end links done (first time) and I've owned since new. Driving around Toronto is a true test of the quality of a cars suspension. Honestly I think if you live in toronto, an old fashioned 4x4 suspension is the only way to go. the roads are just terrible!!

in 190,000 km of driving in Toronto and area, I've replaced all the struts once and the rear sway bar bushings and links. not bad! front control arms (both) were replaced during a service within the first year (by the dealer)

Also if the dealership is saying the end links you just replaced need replacing...go to another dealership!!! they dont wear out that fast. If the front struts are leaking, take it back to the mechanice who installed them. they should have at least a years warranaty on them.

I'd be suspicous of the rear control arms. I was told that by a dealership a couple of years ago. Since then I started going to another dealership ( closer to my work) and they have checked the rear lower control arms an found nothing wrong with them.

Last edited:
Another thing to look for if you have a clunk when going over bumps is the pass side upper motor mount. Apparently it's a pretty common failure and mine has already busted on my 09 GT.

I've had my 07 Mazda 5 for a few months now. It's at 94000 KM. I have the clunk/squeak noise as well. My cars VIN is within range of the TSB (Noise from front or rear suspension when passing over a bump or driving on uneven road). As per recommendations by my mechanic, back in January this year, i replaced 2 rear sway bar bushings and 2 rear sway bar end links. I also replaced both front strut assembly (Strut, mount and spring - Monroe sena-trac).. cuzz they were leaking. Noise was still there so I took it to the stealership a week ago. They said the front struts are leaking again and they suggested replacing a whole lot of stuff:
-front struts
-rear shocks
-front and rear control arms
-front and rear end links

The front struts are still under warranty but this is still gonna cost me a pretty penny obviously. From reading what others have wrote on this suspension problem, it seems I'll probably have to change everything again after 6 months or a year. Guess the 07 Mazda 5 suspension just sucks!

Yes, the stock struts and shocks are disappointing.

Are you hearing/feeling the clunk come from the front or the rear?

I'm hearing noise from both front and back.

I doubt it's the motor mounts because I've had the car checked out by the dealer and 2 mechanics to date and they all seem to point to various parts in the suspension system.

was98strat: you are only 1 of 2 people who i've seen report minimal or expected suspension related issues with the 5. From the posts I've read so far in this forum and another: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fe2da, it seems the suspension problems are common and re-occurring. Granted the posters did fail to mention if they had all of the TSB repairs carried out... that is replace every single part specified in the TSB including servicing the Arc-Welding Bead on the rear Crossmember. So i guess there is a remote chance the problem is fixable. The last poster on the edmunds forum reported having fixed the issue by installing 2012 Mazda 5 bushings and greasing "upper rubber seat for the spring"...maybe this is the fix, i don't know.

I don't know if the TSB repairs were ever carried out on my 5 and there is no way for me to find out. I totally agree with your statement "Driving around Toronto is a true test of the quality of a cars suspension". The car is close to 100k so maybe it is time to replace some of the suspension parts but I'm just worried about the frequency I'll have to change them. My other car (99 Nissan Altima) is around 260k and I've changed the struts and shocks only once and stabilizer links a couple of times.

Back