Interior Silver Trim Removal, Console

Keoni50

:
2008 CX-9, GT
I need some help please. I have searched the archives on how to remove the silver trim pieces on the console and have not found any detailed instructions. I did download the service manual (Huge thanks to the poster!) and can't figure our how they detach. The instructions say: Slide the decoration plate towards the vehicle front as shown in the figure, then pull out the pin and hooks and remove the decoration plate. Can anyone help with a few details?

Thanks

Keoni50

It doesn't look hard. work a trim removal tool under the bottom edge of the trim working it straight out towards you to get the bottom pin started to release and then carefully work the top and finally the rest of them out. you want to pull all of the pins parallel and straight out to prevent breakage.

I have a set of interior trim and panel removal tools. If you don't have these you can use old kitchen knives. I put painters tape on the panel edges to prevent scratches.

Thanks Jerry. I do have the trim removal tools so that should be easy. However what about the explicit directions in the shop manual that I referenced???

Just so we're on the same page, I'm asking about the silver trim pieces that are on the shifter console on either side near where your right knee rubs up against!

I looked at the service manual again and looking closely, there is a screw in the top front and side front of each trim piece. It looks like the shifter surround and the side console decoration plates need to be removed first. then the side trim(decoration plates) should slide forward as indicated in the manual.

There certainly are two screws up at the front. The lower requires removal of the wood/black trim that "arcs" through the console, and continues at the bottom.

However, even after removing these, my trim isn't budging. They certainly need to slide forward, since you can see the rear of the trim from the back of the console if you open it up.

So far, I've broken some sort of tab which inserts around the front area of the console cubby, and it seems like it is still holding on for dear life further back towards the seat bolster area.

My plan is to remove all 6 pieces and recover them with brushed aluminum vinyl. I've already taken off the door trims, but really want to take them off the console to do a good job. I could just reef on it until something comes loose, but that seems like a bad idea...

For the record, I have a 2007 which is no longer in warranty. Picked it up last week and I'm just fixing it up before it becomes my daily driver...

I can't seem to find this in the service manual I found on this forum. Anyone care to provide me a link which shows anything about removing these console trim pieces?

...so it is. Thanks.

What I failed to consider is to pull up (out) the cubby container before pulling the trim forward. That is what it was getting caught on even though it looked from the side like it wasn't the issue. I ended up breaking off a couple of the tabs, including the large rear tab. I this it still has enough support to catch when I put it back on though, and I'll probably add some double-sided tape just to be sure. No biggie.

Last edited:
Back