Moisture in Rear Taillight

Gunga

:
2011 CX-9 GT AWD
2011 CX-9 - Getting Moisture in rear Tail Light in heavy rain and after car wash.

I there a TSB for this ?

Yes there is. It's SB-09-057-10. I have the number because I had the issue just recently after a very heavy rain/wind storm. It bother me that all 4 rear clusters had condensation. From my research here on the forum, it looks like it is a common issue and Mazda won't replace them. They will reseal the gaskets. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am going to my dealer this Friday and will report back then.

If you want the full version of this TSB, just PM me. Basically the TSB says "this is normal, and we're not going to do anything about it." Literally, Mazda says that #1, it is completely normal and #2, they won't do anything about it because it IS normal.

(I don't agree that it is normal, because over time, repeated condensation causes yellowing and discoloration & staining inside the lens) but nonetheless, Mazda aint gonna do a thing about it.

If you want the full version of this TSB, just PM me. Basically the TSB says "this is normal, and we're not going to do anything about it." Literally, Mazda says that #1, it is completely normal and #2, they won't do anything about it because it IS normal.

(I don't agree that it is normal, because over time, repeated condensation causes yellowing and discoloration & staining inside the lens) but nonetheless, Mazda aint gonna do a thing about it.

I absolutely agree with you. Moisture will hold dirt which can stain as well. I had similar issues with my 2004 Acura TL which had poorly sealed headlight housing as well and now there is clouding where where was once moisture. It is less likely to be noticed in the taillights since it projects rearwards vs. headlights where the amount of light projected can be diminished.

I don't have the moisture issues, but I do have white artifacts showing up in the tail lenses. I believe they are where the lenses did not laminate well and the layers have been rubbing on each other.

Moisture is appearing in my '17 CX-5 turn signal lenses after I wash car at home. but it eventually dries up.

Well mine is 10 years old with 101k and my tail lamps get slight moisture after a warm hand wash, but nothing has happened, no yellowing or discoloration of the lenses, so its all good.

Usually if you get any minor condensation, it can be mitigated by removing the housing from the car, applying a bead of silicone caulk (use the outdoor/weatherproof kind) to the seam where the lens meets the housing, then taping a few silicon packets to the back of the housing. Those silicon packets are usually found in product packaging. They help to absorb moisture.

If the housings only fog up after a car wash or rainfall, just taping some packets on the housing may be good enough.

Back