selling my ms3 advice?

synthetic-ms3

:
Mazdaspeed3, black mica, 2008.5
Hey fellas, I'm having to part with my precious ms3 ='( , it was amazingly fun for the nearly three years i had it but paying nearly 1k every ~10 months on tires and and getting ~20 mpg is starting to hurt my wallet. I'm gonna be moving to a boring <2.0 litre inline 4 car cause my family is growing. I can't find anyone posting their cars for sale on here, is it not permitted or frowned upon? I refuse to post to autotrader cause every other car i've posted there in the past never got any hits. Craigslist seems to be my only option by I'm struggling to get any responses there either. My asking price is definitely not unreasonable! Could i find a buyer on here... what's y'alls advice?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2770516556.html

What are you doing to only get 20mpg and replace tires every 10 months?

My OE tires lasted about 30k miles (mostly highway) and I get 25-28mpg depending how hard I press the go pedal.

ummm... i do mostly city driving and never WOT it. i've been running dunlop star specs for the last two sets and have never gotten more than 12k outta them, i drive in such a manner not to wear my tires too quickly. The originals only lasted me less than 16k miles and their grip was below par (5010A's, something like that). You do know our cars are rated for 18 mpg in the city right!?

Last edited:
If you pick up say 5 mpg on city cycle driving, it will take a looooooooong time to make up the difference in fuel costs, even if you run regular octane in your new car. Changing vehicles to save fuel is usually not a winner unless you plan to keep the car for like 10 years.

Just get some harder rubber tires. Maybe some ultra high performance all season tires. My Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S tires now have 35,000 miles on them and tread wear looks almost like new. Yeah, I give up a little in absolute performance to pure dedicated max performance summer tires.

But, given the depreciation on any car when selling used and then buying something else, consider just getting some harder rubber on your wheels and enjoy your MS3. Just one opinion. . . .

I agree somewhat with the other posts.
The Star specs are one of the softest treads you can get, I only got 17k out of my stock tires. Switch to a high performance all season and you'll get 30k plus. IMO this is a great family car and I think you MPG is right on for all city driving. However you car is priced WAY to high. I've been trying to sell mine off and on for 6 months of so now, I'm not really desperate to sell it. The blue book on these cars as dropped a lot over the past year, you'd be lucky to get 16k in mint condition.I've had my 08.5 True Red GT with 80,000 miles on it listed for 15k and havn't gotten any offers over 13k(jerkit). Although I've talked to a few guys that recently bought used ones from dealers; One payed 15k and the other 17k I think. Good luck I guess.

Well, if you don't drive aggressively, why are you using star specs? I suggest a high performance all-season tire. Still, 12k miles outta those tires, you're doing something wrong. I have close to 7-8k miles on hankook v12s, and half of that mileage is with 400whp and aggressive acceleration/tire spin. Tons of tread left.

As for mpg: change your spark plugs, buy a new air filter, don't get into boost at all. Get yourself a boost/vac gauge and play the hypermiler deal, don't get into boost.

I agree with the others. Unless your payment is less AND for a shorter period of time, you're losing money on this potential sale and purchase of a new car just for mpg purposes.

I have gotten 45K out of AS and with a MSCAI and a MS CBE get 24 city and 30+ hwy when it isn't stinkin cold, you don't havre that issue in Texas, I would say better to learn to drive a little more economy minded and purchase some good AS tires as mentioned before. I have 81K on my car and only on third st of tires with 35K left and my all around milage for the 81K has been right at 25 mpg.

Well, if you don't drive aggressively, why are you using star specs? I suggest a high performance all-season tire. Still, 12k miles outta those tires, you're doing something wrong. I have close to 7-8k miles on hankook v12s, and half of that mileage is with 400whp and aggressive acceleration/tire spin. Tons of tread left.

As for mpg: change your spark plugs, buy a new air filter, don't get into boost at all. Get yourself a boost/vac gauge and play the hypermiler deal, don't get into boost.

I agree with the others. Unless your payment is less AND for a shorter period of time, you're losing money on this potential sale and purchase of a new car just for mpg purposes.

Excellent advice. +1000

lol i totally forgot to checkup on this thread...

i bought the star specs when i had no intentions on getting rid of the car.

Well i live in dallas and our roads get pretty warm during the summer which helps contribute to my faster wearing.... our highways are littered with shredded tires during the hotter months.

For my next car i intend on having it for +200k miles, i wonder how many turbos i'd go through by the time my odometer rolls over that in my speed3.(i'd seriously doubt my tranny could make it that long either)

all around maintenance is more expensive on the speed3

feel consumption is %50 better in an economy car than in the speed3 lol and i drive a lot lately!

these are just a few reasons for trading it in for something boring...

Last edited:
I agree somewhat with the other posts.
you'd be lucky to get 16k in mint condition.I've had my 08.5 True Red GT with 80,000 miles on it listed for 15k and havn't gotten any offers over 13k(jerkit). Although I've talked to a few guys that recently bought used ones from dealers; One payed 15k and the other 17k I think. Good luck I guess.

well kelly blue book values my car as 16.5 and all the dealers around here are asking 19-20k

O.K., so you don't like you car anymore. I hope you do reconsider, because any and all cars will require maintenance over time. You're in Dallas where you are close to a dealer and most of the parts, excluding engine and transmission, are going to be the same as a regular Mazda 3. And it will take you a loooooong time to recoup your depreciation loss on sale or trade and the difference in gas mileage.

My other vehicle is a huge, thirsty Nissan Armada with four wheel drive and a towing package. Think 10-11 mph around town and maybe 14-15 on the highway. My car gets about twice the mileage, but the math is not really in favor of chosing the better mileage.

Example: If my Armada gets a crappy 10 mpg around town and I put 10,000 miles per year on it at $3.50 per gallon, that's 1000 gallons at $3.50 or $3,500 in fuel.

If my Speed 3 were to only get 20 mpg around town (I do a bit better), that would be half that or 500 gallons at $3.50 or $1.750 in cost and $1,750 in annual fuel savings.

Think about how many years it would take at $1,750 per year to pay for the difference in trade in on your present car and the cost of a new one, including tax and insurance. And at that point, many, many years down the road, you will have just broken even!

And I doubt you would have as much of a difference in fuel cost as in my two examples. You might only save half of that every year. And add on top of it that you will probably be financing your new purchase and have to add the interest cost on a new loan when your present car is probably paid off or well on its way. If not paid off, then you've got that additional payout to probably refinance.

But, if you just don't like your car anymore, get something you do like. I would not hold my breath expecting to come out in a better place financially, however.

Last edited:
O.K., so you don't like you car anymore. I hope you do reconsider, because any and all cars will require maintenance over time. You're in Dallas where you are close to a dealer and most of the parts, excluding engine and transmission, are going to be the same as a regular Mazda 3. And it will take you a loooooong time to recoup your depreciation loss on sale or trade and the difference in gas mileage.

My other vehicle is a huge, thirsty Nissan Armada with four wheel drive and a towing package. Think 10-11 mph around town and maybe 14-15 on the highway. My car gets about twice the mileage, but the math is not really in favor of chosing the better mileage.

Example: If my Armada gets a crappy 10 mpg around town and I put 10,000 miles per year on it at $3.50 per gallon, that's 1000 gallons at $3.50 or $3,500 in fuel.

If my Speed 3 were to only get 20 mpg around town (I do a bit better), that would be half that or 500 gallons at $3.50 or $1.750 in cost and $1,750 in annual fuel savings.

Think about how many years it would take at $1,750 per year to pay for the difference in trade in on your present car and the cost of a new one, including tax and insurance. And at that point, many, many years down the road, you will have just broken even!

And I doubt you would have as much of a difference in fuel cost as in my two examples. You might only save half of that every year. And add on top of it that you will probably be financing your new purchase and have to add the interest cost on a new loan when your present car is probably paid off or well on its way. If not paid off, then you've got that additional payout to probably refinance.

But, if you just don't like your car anymore, get something you do like. I would not hold my breath expecting to come out in a better place financially, however.

(iagree)

Never understood why someone would get out of a car and getting another to make up for consumption reasons. You will always be in a bind from the minute you purchase a vehicle off the lot. The minute you sign those papers, the car depreciates itself by more than 10% of it's resale value. (Stealerships) - I mean Dealerships these days are just nothing but (bs)

(iagree)

Never understood why someone would get out of a car and getting another to make up for consumption reasons. You will always be in a bind from the minute you purchase a vehicle off the lot. The minute you sign those papers, the car depreciates itself by more than 10% of it's resale value. (Stealerships) - I mean Dealerships these days are just nothing but (bs)

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! I agree. Good thing i didn't buy mine from a dealership. I'm only asking 2k less than what i payed for it and i already have a buyer. So I basically i only lost 2k in the 28 months of me owning my ms3... idk i think i'm coming out on top (dance)

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! I agree. Good thing i didn't buy mine from a dealership. I'm only asking 2k less than what i payed for it and i already have a buyer. So I basically i only lost 2k in the 28 months of me owning my ms3... idk i think i'm coming out on top (dance)

Well then u technically didn't lose out on anything, if u only lost 2K in the 28months prior to owning it. I mean, if u take $2000 divided by 28months. Means you only paid $71.3 a month towards ownership and you're getting what your asking for it now. Or am i missing something?

GLWS

OP: How much more will your new car cost compared to the price you are selling your Speed 3 for? If it is more, and if your paying interest and higher insurance, then you lost ground. I'm glad to know you will come out good on the sale of your present car, though. Just remember that the price difference in the purchase of the new car may take years to recoup based on fuel mileage differences.

now im looking for a 2009 corolla S... which i can purchase without needing to finance. I've been shopping around the last few weeks, i don't see myself paying more than $12-13k. I was paying $120 a month on the speed3 for insurance, no way in hell ill be paying more than that with a corolla lol. The big incentive for saving money wasn't because of fuel consumption but rather predicted repairs needed down the road with a boosted engine.... ill take my chances with a non-turboed car. And yes i am aware that the depreciation of a corolla is probably worse than a mazda but i really think i would get a bit more life outta a toyota.

Understood. Best wishes as you migrate to the Corolla S. Maybe once in a while, you'll push that right foot down, feel a little disappointed, and think fondly of that push back in the seat you got from your little 'Speed 3 and smile.

Should not be hard to find a local tire company selling tires that will last 20+k miles and offer a warranty for them if you have your alignment checked and do there tire rotation. I have gone years on the same tire with very low wear on them. That is with the car slammed and ever going to have a alignment done. So you must have something going on to not be getting more than 2 years out of a set of tires. My last car was also boosted running 20psi and I would have no problem getting 20mpg and that was not taking it easy on it.

Back