Guide Remove Mazda2 rear door panels and install speakers (the cheap way)

Dutch Cracker

:
Mazda 2
Howto install rear speakers for a standard Mazda 2 with only 2 front speakers. Rear doors already provided with 2 factory speaker-plugs and dummy-speakers' which you can use to improvise your own adapter (domo arigato, Mazda keiretsu ;). Forgive terminology and grammar mistakes. Steps are relatively easy to follow, be careful not to scratch paint! I succesfully installed my own 190W, 40W, 6.5 inch speakers (Originals are 170W, 35W, 6.5inch).

1.) remove cap behind door handle using small screwdriver and cap at the back of the door (can be removed by hand, pull off carefully)

2.) remove window-opener by creating space between it and the plastic ring behind it. A metal spring-like thing should be visible. Remove that with the small
screwdriver and then pull off the window-opener.

3.) remove screw in the armrest and behind the door handle.

4.) pull off panel by careful tugging panel at the edges. Do it as careful as possible, so you don't break (too many) plastic thingies that lock panel onto door.

5.) remove cables that open and lock the door.

A 'dummy-speaker' with a speaker-cable-plug should now be visible.

6.) Remove dummy and detach speakerplug.

7.) Take off plastic plug so you have only the actual cables left.

Use the otherwise useless dummy to make an adapter:

8.) Saw/cut a hole into dummy just large enough to fit speakers in.

9.) Attach about 4-8 inches of suitable speaker cable to speaker.

10.) Attach speaker to adapter with 3 tie-wraps (secure by pulling tie-wraps tightly) making sure the attached cable comes out between the adapter and the speaker.

11.) Attach adapter+speaker to door and connect speakercables. (with reservation: grey = +, grey-black stripe = - ; purple = +, pink-grey stripes = - )

The rest you can guess yourself. Good luck. Please let me know if polarity of cables is correct (I used only my ears).

Know the thread is old, but tried to add rear speakers to my 2012 GX, but there was no harnesses inside the doors... In another forum, someone suggested the wires may stop at the the white plug in the door, but I couldn't see any. The dummy-speakers are still there.

Know the thread is old, but tried to add rear speakers to my 2012 GX, but there was no harnesses inside the doors... In another forum, someone suggested the wires may stop at the the white plug in the door, but I couldn't see any. The dummy-speakers are still there.

I second this. It's been years but can someone provide an answer? Need rear speakers added to my 2011 Mazda 2.

@Matrixsoul They are in the door harness, yes. The 4 speakers each got different color cables for + and -. If you access the harness from inside the car you will see them. Use this to identify the cables: https://www.modifiedlife.com/2012-mazda-2-car-stereo-wiring-diagram/

Howto install rear speakers for a standard Mazda 2 with only 2 front speakers. Rear doors already provided with 2 factory speaker-plugs and dummy-speakers' which you can use to improvise your own adapter (domo arigato, Mazda keiretsu ;). Forgive terminology and grammar mistakes. Steps are relatively easy to follow, be careful not to scratch paint! I succesfully installed my own 190W, 40W, 6.5 inch speakers (Originals are 170W, 35W, 6.5inch).

1.) remove cap behind door handle using small screwdriver and cap at the back of the door (can be removed by hand, pull off carefully)

2.) remove window-opener by creating space between it and the plastic ring behind it. A metal spring-like thing should be visible. Remove that with the small
screwdriver and then pull off the window-opener.

3.) remove screw in the armrest and behind the door handle.

4.) pull off panel by careful tugging panel at the edges. Do it as careful as possible, so you don't break (too many) plastic thingies that lock panel onto door.

5.) remove cables that open and lock the door.

A 'dummy-speaker' with a speaker-cable-plug should now be visible.

6.) Remove dummy and detach speakerplug.

7.) Take off plastic plug so you have only the actual cables left.

Use the otherwise useless dummy to make an adapter:

8.) Saw/cut a hole into dummy just large enough to fit speakers in.

9.) Attach about 4-8 inches of suitable speaker cable to speaker.

10.) Attach speaker to adapter with 3 tie-wraps (secure by pulling tie-wraps tightly) making sure the attached cable comes out between the adapter and the speaker.

11.) Attach adapter+speaker to door and connect speakercables. (with reservation: grey = +, grey-black stripe = - ; purple = +, pink-grey stripes = - )

The rest you can guess yourself. Good luck. Please let me know if polarity of cables is correct (I used only my ears).
I know this is long overdue. But can you please explain step 2 a bit more clearly. Been struggling to open the rear door panel.

Back