msp p0304

pablosqy

:
mazdaspeed protege
hey what's up
well i really want to know what do you think... my problem is that my msp is showing me a p0304 code... so i thought that was the coil, i changed it and after a month ( approx) it showed me the same code... but know the diference is that the coil really fail cuz there was no spark from it... i thought that the coil that i bought failed... so i bought other one but now i changed the position of the coils and put the old one in the cyl #4... and now again i have the same ******* code! :( car is hesitating a lil in iddle but the car runs fine before full boost cuz there detonate but not always
Im thinking that maybe i have electric problems and is screwing me the coil... but if not?
what would you do?
i was thinking to take the car to an electromechanic and check if I have an electrical problem... but i dont know if is something with the motor...and that really scare me :S i would probably check compression but i dont know if that screw the coil (dunno)

Gonna ask the obvious question. Did you change your spark plugs?

The MSP has two ignition coils, one for cylinders 1 and 4 and one for 2 and 3. 1 and 4 fire at the same time in what is called a wasted spark format. Basically, it's a way for manufacturer's to save money using half the parts.

If it was your coil, you should be getting two codes. Although OBDII systems have been known to screw that up.

Gonna ask the obvious question. Did you change your spark plugs?

The MSP has two ignition coils, one for cylinders 1 and 4 and one for 2 and 3. 1 and 4 fire at the same time in what is called a wasted spark format. Basically, it's a way for manufacturer's to save money using half the parts.

If it was your coil, you should be getting two codes. Although OBDII systems have been known to screw that up.
already change twice the spark plugs... and the coil, the one that handles cylinder 1-4, change it twice... cuz the first one show me the code... but the car only felt weird when was at idle... the other one was worst cuz failed completely and the last one is the same as the first... it only feels when is at idle

ngk vpower my friend...single cylinder usually means plug/wire. replace all 4 plugs
i have ngk bkr7ei-x bought twice to check if firsts failed... but the same thing :(

i dont know if battery can give this code? cuz im thinking that maybe is a electric problem :S

yes the boot...same as a wire. you can replace those black boots

edit: nevermind i am wrong lol...its just cylinder 3?

Last edited:
Do you have any vacuum leaks or anything like that? Does the misfire come back shortly after you clear it? Is the cel flashing? And yeah, did you check the spark plugs?

If you havent replaced the wires you should, and the correct plugs are NGKZFR6F-11 and you will have to set the correct gap which is .028-.032". Sorry I don't know the metric measurement.

Also, clean the IAC and EGR.

Do you have any vacuum leaks or anything like that? Does the misfire come back shortly after you clear it? Is the cel flashing? And yeah, did you check the spark plugs?
can be a leak... but why it only show me the p0304? misfire comes sometimes day later or two.... cel doesnt flash only when coil screw i already check them and change it twice

isnt there a wire going from the coil on top of cylinder 3 to cylinder 4?
nop wire from cyl 3 goes to coil that is on cyl 2

If you havent replaced the wires you should, and the correct plugs are NGKZFR6F-11 and you will have to set the correct gap which is .028-.032". Sorry I don't know the metric measurement.

Also, clean the IAC and EGR.
i have that gap but i always use the bkr7ei-11x for a loooong time...
and i will check iac and egr valve! :)

bkr7ei-11x is a .044 gap

edit: well did you replace the wire going from the coil on top of cylinder 2 to cylinder 3? if your not getting a missfire on cylinder 2 and only on 3 then its not the coil. replace that wire and the spark plug if you havent already. also check your radiator to see if you can see any oil in the coolant or if it is below full. also inspect the wires on the harness that plugs into the coil on top of cylinder 2.

Last edited:
bkr7ei-11x is a .044 gap

edit: well did you replace the wire going from the coil on top of cylinder 2 to cylinder 3? if your not getting a missfire on cylinder 2 and only on 3 then its not the coil. replace that wire and the spark plug if you havent already. also check your radiator to see if you can see any oil in the coolant or if it is below full. also inspect the wires on the harness that plugs into the coil on top of cylinder 2.

i check the gap of the sparks and was between 0.030-0.035 believe... i couldnt believe it! cuz the first pack of sparks that i had had 0.040-0.045 gap and was really difficult to me put it on 0.030-0.035 :s

I don't know why you keep telling me about cylinder 3? I never said that my misfire is of that cylinder!

I would definitely check the egr valve.
jajaja I ask to a mechanic friend and told me the same thing... he checked in autodata (or similiar) and told me something about the egr valve... i must check that valve :s

oh cylinder 4 lol my bad...like i said check your radiator to see if there is any oil film or anything which would suggest a possible bad head gasket. also the wires from the harness to the coil. odd that after new plugs and coils you are still getting #4 missfire

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94788

Its kind of in a terrible position, I had no issues using a 1/4 ratchet.
removing it is easy... installing it! was the dificult part... i did it once... but long time ago

oh cylinder 4 lol my bad...like i said check your radiator to see if there is any oil film or anything which would suggest a possible bad head gasket. also the wires from the harness to the coil. odd that after new plugs and coils you are still getting #4 missfire
radiator seems fine no oil film... the problem is that 3 coils screw up... thats why i dont know wtf

How did the plugs look? You obviously need to do a compression test on #4. past that I would say it's an injector or a clogged fuel rail.

Back