Miata Advanced / Smart Key Replacement

Matchu_Peechu

:
2008 Mazda Miata MX5/ GT/ Soft Top
Hi friends,

I originally posted this in the marketplace but it was deleted (?), which might have been the wrong place as I'm not trying to sell anything, but wanted to let everyone out there with the Advanced Keyless entry/ Smart Key know of a great option for getting a brand new replacement or spare for much less than the dealer wants to charge!

I contacted the dealer to get a replacement smart key (credit card fob) programmed and was quoted $400-$550. And that didn't include the emergency key. So, I started looking around and found a few on Ebay. I bought one from a seller named REMOTES.INC (I am not affiliated with them in any way). I want everyone to know in case you're looking to get a spare or a replacement. Remotes.inc shipped my order fast and the item arrived in brand new condition. It is an OEM remote and uncut emergency key (had the same FCC ID #s on the back) and I only paid $99 with shipping, so it's a huge savings to the stealership!

You will have to have two working remotes and 1 working emergency key to program the new remote, so if you only have 2 now, it's smart to get a third before you lose one. If you only have 1 you have to go to the dealer...

The programming can be done as follows...
Bring the two working remotes, emergency key, and new remote into the vehicle and close all doors,
Use the emergency key (the manual key) to turn the ignition to ON position,
Press the unlock button on one of the working remotes,
Press the unlock button on the other working remote,
Turn the ignition to ACC, then ON, then ACC, then ON, then ACC, then ON
Open the drivers door and press the door switch (the one that turns the light off and on) twice, and close the door,
You have to do that all within 30 seconds, and if done properly the door locks will lock and unlock automatically.
If that doesn't happen you have to start over.
If that worked, then just press the unlock button on the new remote.
That's all and you're programmed. Try it out. I've done it twice and it worked perfectly both times on my 2008 MX5 GT!

If you have two working emergency keys you can also program that yourself once you get it cut at a locksmith. If you only have one emergency key you can program the remote but you'll need a dealer to program another emergency key.

I hope this helps someone as I know it's helped me save a lot of money!
PM me if you need help!

PS -- Does anyone know of a remote starter for the MX5 that works with the Advanced Key/ Smart Key? I've heard the Mazda OEM one does but that's quite costly... anyone have any luck with any others?

Good info!

Unfortunately, I do not know of any remote starters that fit your description.

Thanks for this post. I purchased a 2006 with only one key. Am I understanding you to say to not even purchase the keys from REMOTES.INC and go to the dealer?
Thanks

Thanks Machu_Peechu for this info. I too purchased a "experienced" card remote for our 2009 CX 9 and it works great after having the dealer program it. Great price and super item for those of you who may be down to only one card remote!

Hi there drakesrducks. If you only have one key it's my understanding that you'll have no choice but to go to the dealership. From what I understand to program a new smart remote you need two working remotes and one emergency key. To program more emergency keys you need just two working emergency keys...

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Of course if you have a good relationship with your local Mazda service dept. they will do the job for about $75.00! That is what I was charged when they did mine and it works just great!

I have an 08 mx-5 NC TOURING. I have two key fobs, but emergency key is missing on one of the fobs. I bought a emergency key blade with a transponder and got it cut. What will be the cheapest way to get it programmed? Any thoughts.

Key programming

I have an 08 mx-5 NC TOURING. I have two key fobs, but emergency key is missing on one of the fobs. I bought a emergency key blade with a transponder and got it cut. What will be the cheapest way to get it programmed? Any thoughts.

I believe there is a different process that can be used to program additional keys if you only have one existing key. I have the NC 2006 Miata with ake smart card entry and my fob actually broke. Instead of paying the several hundred dollars to have the dealer replace the fob I decided that I would rather just get a regular car key that I could use to start my car. I found a emergency key with keyring like this one on ebay that I have been using since and is much cheaper than getting a new fob.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I believe there is a different process that can be used to program additional keys if you only have one existing key. I have the NC 2006 Miata with ake smart card entry and my fob actually broke. Instead of paying the several hundred dollars to have the dealer replace the fob I decided that I would rather just get a regular car key that I could use to start my car. I found a emergency key with keyring like this one on ebay that I have been using since and is much cheaper than getting a new fob.

I also Lost the keys for my 2006 NC miata and ended up just replacing the fob with one of the "regular" keys that I found on ebay. It is important to order one that has an immobilizer chips instead of the blanks that come from china without the necessary electronics. I'm not sure about the cheapest way to go about programming but I was able to get them successfully programmed at my dealer for about 45 dollars.

One more tendency: Those who seem to prefer ape-like peoples to advanced peoples are generally not proponents of eugenics. Anyone notice that?

Back