19" wheel fitment question

qcoffey

Good day,

I was looking at some of the various posts regarding wheel fitments and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I am looking at installing 19" wheels on my 5 in the spring. I found a fitment that interested me: 19x8 et40 for the front and 19x9 et40 for the rear. The vehicle has just been lowered on the Tein S-Tech springs for the 3. Would this be a viable option for the 5 as a daily driver with minimal work? I have no problem having the fenders rolled, but pulling them is not in the cards. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Sam

They'll probably fit fine if you're willing to get aggressive with the roller, run skinny tires to have a little stretch, and keep some negative camber in your alignment. Look at the wheel fitment thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123655878-Mazda5-Wheel-Fitment-amp-Photo-Guide

There are quite a few 5s with +45 offset wheels in there that just barely poke the tire past the fender with what looks like no rolling, so a good roll will probably fit them ok.

Good day,

I was looking at some of the various posts regarding wheel fitments and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I am looking at installing 19" wheels on my 5 in the spring. I found a fitment that interested me: 19x8 et40 for the front and 19x9 et40 for the rear. The vehicle has just been lowered on the Tein S-Tech springs for the 3. Would this be a viable option for the 5 as a daily driver with minimal work? I have no problem having the fenders rolled, but pulling them is not in the cards. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Sam

sam could you post a pic of your 5. how did the mazda 3 springs fit im looking to buy some and put them on the 5

Thanks for the link, phunky. I had checked that one before, but not many folks running 19s. There is a spot here where my buddy got his Holden rolled that I will be checking out, and after driving daily lowered cars for the last 19 years, I don't mind a little negative camber. ;)

Rat, I will post a pic this weekend when I get some daylight. They fit fine, I got the initial idea from on this forum. :)

Last edited:
Welcome- I know there really isn't any 19" info in there, but based on the over diameters and offsets for wheels that people are using, I thought you might be able to get something useful out of it or at least approximate how the wheels would fit. I usually take a bunch of measurements around my wheel wells and then use tire manufacturer specs to see what's going to fit... I make drawings on paper or even model it up in a CAD program to double-check.

:D

19x8.5 is a good fit on 35et.. go based off those numbers when deciding your wheels..

i run 18x.9.5 rear on a 45et.. and it tucks with 3.5 degrees negative camber..i do hit the rear splash plate a bit because im stupid low compared to most at the rear..

a 19x9 rear will be about a 40et.. front would 8 i would say 40-45 et to be safe to keep it flush... you will need to roll your fenders however...

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I was thinking of the 5zigen ZR+520 in 19x8 front and 19x9 rear with a 40et for both. According to your specs this looks like it might work! Can't wait till the spring time. :)

Heres my car with 19" wheels.

The wheels are 19x8.5, offset is at +50. They will NOT fit without spacers. I am using a +15mm spacer which pushes the offset to about +35. They fit great. The rear tucks under, but rubs unless you properly hammer out and roll your fenders and bumper tabs. The front has slight poke. I would run a +38 or +40 offset with a 19x8.5 wheel for it to tuck perfectly in. You'll have to deal with the front fender liner/mud guards, or you can pull them out entirely. My car isn't low enough in the front to damage the fender or liner too much, but it will rub on a heavy dip.

430218_10150571057020108_573440107_9598679_421908439_n.jpg

Heres my car with 19" wheels.

The wheels are 19x8.5, offset is at +50. They will NOT fit without spacers. I am using a +15mm spacer which pushes the offset to about +35. They fit great. The rear tucks under, but rubs unless you properly hammer out and roll your fenders and bumper tabs. The front has slight poke. I would run a +38 or +40 offset with a 19x8.5 wheel for it to tuck perfectly in. You'll have to deal with the front fender liner/mud guards, or you can pull them out entirely. My car isn't low enough in the front to damage the fender or liner too much, but it will rub on a heavy dip.

View attachment 191994

Thanks for the info, and your car looks awesome. I actually just installed my wheels today. I am running a 19x8 35 et in the front and 19x9.5 40 et in the back. I thought I could get back to my house to have the fenders rolled but only got a half mile down the road and I had some tire shreds hitting the fender. I pulled out the old baseball bat and did an emergency fender roll. Problem solved. I will post some pics soon.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the new setup. Also, your 5 is awesome looking. When I was trying to show the wife the potential that these vehicles have, I showed her a pic of yours.
M5front.jpg

M5rear.jpg

M5rearwheel.jpg

Last edited:
Yea. The problem that I had with the baysonR kit, is that the lip sagged too low. If you notice, the fitment of your lip appears to be sagging down a bit, but thats the way the lips were made for the rear. Japanese spec rear bumpers are shorter, so they had to "guesstimate" on how far to stretch the bumper out.

If you look closely, I had to forcefully push the lip up. I have a TRUST Greddy exhaust from Japan that Just wouldn't fit underneath the lip because it sagged too low. After going at it lightly with a heat gun and mounting it properly with supports under the bumper and the side, the lip sat in line with the rear bumper. If you take a ruler or measuring tape, measure the distance from the reflector on both sides.
img20110717125658m.jpg

img20110717125751.jpg

img20110717125729.jpg

img20110717125725.jpg

This shot is after mounting it properly:
2011livermorecarshow26.jpg

pcs17.jpg

The muffler fit perfectly under if I remove it off the first hanger.

Compare the original ken style rear lip:
aero111_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Marc. I actually noticed the lip sag after I got it home. I ended up removing the lip, retaping it, and like you said, forced it on. It is level and even with bumper lights. I didn't think to use a heat gun on it, I'm gonna try that when it gets a little warmer out. :D

I also like how you painted the center diffuser piece.

Back