2008 Automatic Transmission replacement 36,000 miles

mary_228

:
Mazda 3 2008 Automatic Hatchback
Hi: I've had an ongoing clunk when the car shifts from reverse to drive occuring at 15mph ever since I purchased the car new. The noted problem was brushed off by one dealer, but on a recent recall issue, the dealer where I purchased the car checked the tran fluid, which was dirty. He replaced it ($180) and told me to see if that helps the problem. There has been no change and he said they would put in a new transmission at no charge to me because the car is still until the powertrain warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Hi: I've had an ongoing clunk when the car shifts from reverse to drive occurring at 15mph ever since I purchased the car new. The noted problem was brushed off by one dealer, but on a recent recall issue, the dealer where I purchased the car checked the tran fluid, which was dirty. He replaced it ($180) and told me to see if that helps the problem. There has been no change and he said they would put in a new transmission at no charge to me because the car is still until the powertrain warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Are saying the clunk occurs after shifting from reverse to drive (car not moving), clunk happens when the car is at 15 mph in drive?

Sounds like it's making the clunk when the transmission shifts shifts from 1st to 2ND speed. Does it make the same noise at the same speed regardless of your driving pattern ( easy acceleration or aggressive acceleration)? I have found the driving pattern makes a difference in shifting smoothness.

Since it was happening when the car was new, is there some special reason why you waited until now to try having it repaired? Bad motor mounts could cause the problem but they should have been good when the car was new.

If the clunk hasn't changed in almost 4 years it may be best to leave it as is. Changing the fluid would be thecorrect suggestion to try before changing the tranny.

If you feel the tranny should be replaced you need to keep some pressure on them, remember time is on their side, your warranty time is running out. They probably will not help after the warrantyhas run out.

Clifton

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct, the noise occurs between first and second gears. I have just reviewed my service records. I first reported the "clunk" at 11,500 miles. Dealer dismissed as part of the ABS system, "ABS System found to be pumping up and making noise" was recorded in the service records. I did not think that was plausible and started taking the car to another dealer, the one that recently checked the tran fluid and found it dirty. Is that normal at 36,000 miles or is it possible the first dealer was correct?

Back