Left drive shaft (CV axle) install help request

Hey everyone,

I seem to be having a difficult time installing my drivers side axle into the transmission. It fits in smoothly until it reaches where the snap ring should fit into place. But no matter what, it simply will not fully seat. The manual says the ring should measure out to no more than (1.2 in) and it seems to be spot on (I tried pinching it smaller.....no resolve), so I'm beginning to run out of ideas. I don't wanna beat the thing into place....seems like doing so could cause damage to the tranny.

Am I missing something?

Further information:

2002 Protege5
Manual Transmission

Axle Part #: ncv47552 (Purchased from Advance Auto)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is old, but did you figure out a good way to get it in?

I have an '03 Mazdaspeed protege and am trying to install the exact same axle (from Advance auto parts) but no luck. I've wasted 2 days without any progress. Thanks!

i know this is a dead thread but i hate seeing them left unanswered..
I just went thru this same thing i was there for like 30 min and couldnt do it but it turns out it will go in easy as pie if u have a buddy hold the axle completely straight while u try n push it in.. any slight angle and it refuses to enter no matter how much u hammer it lol. SO HOLD AXLE COMPLETELY STRAIGHT FROM FRONT TO BACK MAKE SURE THERE IS NO ANGLE N TAP SHAFT WITH A HAMMER N WATCH IT SLIDE RIGHT IN. hope this helps someone

^^that...and also be sure you have the right axle...many members have had problems with part store axles lately...the spline count is correct, but the shaft diameter is too large...probably just a quality control problem with cheaper replacements, but who knows...

Now that's a worthy and useful thread revival,...

There is a different CV Half Shaft Assembly for the automatic and standard transmission but only on the left side. Both transmissions use the same right side CV Half Shaft Assembly. (kind of odd,.. you'd think they'd both be different). So I can see some confusion on the parts side of things.

CARDONE SELECT Part # 662040 New CARDONE Select Constant Velocity Drive Axle
W/ or W/O ABS; Front Left; Automatic trans. CAD$45.74

CARDONE SELECT Part # 668098 New CARDONE Select Constant Velocity Drive Axle
W/ or W/O ABS; Front Left; Standard trans. CAD$45.74

cvshaft5-speed_zpsc9956fa7.jpg

Back