Remote Starter Door Bypass?

DynoBunny

:
2007 MS3 GT/2012 5 GT
Anyone else have the remote start and hate the fact that the car shuts off when you open the doors? There has got to be a way to bypass this, it just seems dumb to start the car, just to shut it off, and then start it again. I can't imagine it being good for the motor either.

I don't know about by passing it but it's not dumb because it's set in place as a precautionary feature to prevent theft.

So if you just don't unlock your doors until you get to your car, no one will steal it. However you feel about it, there should be an option to disable the door shutoff.

Is that the factory remote start? I agree, that is really stupid. Your best bet to bypass it would be to find the wire that goes to the door pin and just ground it somewhere else. This way it wont know the door has been opened.

I thought about that but then I would have to ground them all and I don't want to do that. It may mess up the alarm as well :/

I was reading the install manual and it really should not do that. There is a test for the brake shutdown that tells you to open the door and step on the brake. Double check the manual, they may have done something wrong

This was a factory installed option and in the book it has a list of things that will shut the car off after being autostarted; opening any door being one of them.

Not yet ,but in that diagram for the control box I notice how they have circuits marked for the door outputs, so I'm gonna take a look at those and see if I can disable or loop them.

I have factory remote start. It turns off only when I press the brake pedal without the key inserted and turned to "on". Opening the doors does not turn it off. That's stupid.

I also just got a new 2012 Mazda6 sGT and the factory remote start installed. That is the first thing I asked the dealer, why does it shut off when I open the door? He said that is how it's designed. If you have found a way around it that would be awesome.

Hey friends,

My sister has a 2012 Mazda 5 with the dealer installed remote start and wondered about this same thing.

After digging around on the internet a little we found the installation guide (Might be the same one linked here -- not sure). It showed a black+yellow behind the glove box that hooked up to the door ajar sensor.

So we took the glove box apart. Took the {glove box} door off. Didn't have to take the panel behind the glove box door completely out, just took it apart enough to peel it back a little and worked through this "slot."

As per the installation guide, behind the glove box there was a yellow+black wire. It was near a gray switch, which I also expected from the installer guide. The gray is the hood switch. I think there was a brown wire bundled in too.

Pulled on the wire and it had a lot of slack -- not like the factory wires that are all bundled down tight as can be.

Carefully negotiated some wire clippers into the area behind the glove box and clipped the black+yellow wire. Voila! Remote start doesn't know when the doors are open now. I can remote start the car with the doors open, and when I approach the car and open the doors, the engine keeps running.

Somebody said something about theft, but it still shuts down as soon as you hit the brake pedal. This is consistent with other remote start systems (Including Mazda's own, prior to 2012).

Capped both ends of the clipped black+yellow cable with a bit of electrical tape just to be extra extra cautious.

We haven't seen any ill effects so far but I'll report back as we do. So far we just see a remote start system that works the way it should, without this stupid probably lawyer-induced "feature"

Hey friends,

My sister has a 2012 Mazda 5 with the dealer installed remote start and wondered about this same thing.

After digging around on the internet a little we found the installation guide (Might be the same one linked here -- not sure). It showed a black+yellow behind the glove box that hooked up to the door ajar sensor.
Somebody said something about theft, but it still shuts down as soon as you hit the brake pedal. This is consistent with other remote start systems (Including Mazda's own, prior to 2012).

Capped both ends of the clipped black+yellow cable with a bit of electrical tape just to be extra extra cautious.

We haven't seen any ill effects so far but I'll report back as we do. So far we just see a remote start system that works the way it should, without this stupid probably lawyer-induced "feature"

Thanks for the detail.

Can you post a link to the manual. The one linked on this thread does not reference the door feature.

Also has anyone tried disabling the brake feature and besides the potential for being stolen (not worried about it) any other drawbacks?

Hey friends,

So we took the glove box apart. Took the {glove box} door off. Didn't have to take the panel behind the glove box door completely out, just took it apart enough to peel it back a little and worked through this "slot."

As per the installation guide, behind the glove box there was a yellow+black wire. It was near a gray switch, which I also expected from the installer guide. The gray is the hood switch. I think there was a brown wire bundled in too.

Pulled on the wire and it had a lot of slack -- not like the factory wires that are all bundled down tight as can be.

Carefully negotiated some wire clippers into the area behind the glove box and clipped the black+yellow wire. Voila! Remote start doesn't know when the doors are open now. I can remote start the car with the doors open, and when I approach the car and open the doors, the engine keeps running.

Just checking back, any issues with clipping that wire. I have the remote start on mine and it kills me to have to start it over when I open the doors.

Thanks for the detail.

Can you post a link to the manual. The one linked on this thread does not reference the door feature.

Also has anyone tried disabling the brake feature and besides the potential for being stolen (not worried about it) any other drawbacks?

This is no drawback, but when you car get stolen, good luck explaining it to the insurance company.
Umm... I started the car and left it running, some guy walked up to it and drove off... oops...
We have so many reports every winter about cars being stolen during "warm-ups"

Back