Coolant leak

destineal

Contributor
:
Black Mica #129
I'm trying to get my car back on the road. I filled the radiator up and I have a leak. I thought maybe the thermostat housing wasn't secured tight enough, but I still have a drip coming down the AC compressor/front of the oil pan. I did change the water pump, so that leads me to believe that the problem lies there. Is there anywhere else the leak could be coming from?

its hard to say without seeing it but also check the J shaped coolant hose on the front of the engine (the ones the turbo coolant lines go to). It can leak there and follow the pipe to that side of the engine as well. And theyre notorious for leaking.

Make sure the radiator itself isn't leaking. I had the same problem last year and found out my radiator was leaking on the bottom.

Does it look like its coming from the drivers side and dripping down and across the motor. It could be the seal between the motor and inlet side of the coolant supply. If that seal is leaking fromt the bottom you may not see it.

Does it look like its coming from the drivers side and dripping down and across the motor. It could be the seal between the motor and inlet side of the coolant supply. If that seal is leaking fromt the bottom you may not see it.

I really can't tell

Turn the car on when the motor is cold. Feel around that area while its running for anything wet. You can also do a pressure test. There are many ways to do it but in my opinion the easiest is to make a custom rad cap with a nipple from a tire and use a bike pump.

It look to me like it was coming from the front of the motor. If its coming from the timing belt area you may have a leak around the water pump...meaning that the seal between the pump and motor could be leaking. You may want to just bite the bullet and pull the timing cover plates and take a peak. Could be as simple as a lose water pump bolt.

Back