2002 Protege 5 start-up issue.

Chi3f

:
Mazda Protege 5
I recently purchased a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 with an automatic transmission. The car as 93500 miles and is in great shape. The only thing wrong with the car is that when I start it after it has been sitting for more than a couple hours is that it will stall right away. After pushing the gas pedal slightly for a little while the car will idle normally. I was curious if this is just a common issue with the Protege for cold starts or if it's a forewarning of some costly repairs down the road. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

honestly it could be many things.... does it misfire? is it sluggish? when was the last time you changed your plugs N' wires?

No check engine light, no misfire, haven't checked the plugs. It stopped for the last few months but just now started acting up. I've been filling up at Casey's for the most part and haven't had any issues until I filled up at a BP station.. so maybe its just bad gas?

If you're still having issues, check your air filter, look into maybe changing your in tank fuel filter, also look into the possibility of needing a new catalytic converter. Hope you've checked your plugs and wires as Calikid said. Good luck, let us know what happens.

I have a 2002 protege 5 hatchback automatic/auto manual(triptronic) and it has been an awesome car running awesome and has been maintained thoroughly I have a book of receipts. Most recently a new head&gasket, header gasket, radiator, waterpump&thermostat transmission safety switch, battery and starter, etc.... And yesterday after it was running off and on all day I came out and the engine will not turn over at all. I do hear clicking coming from around the shifter area (P,D,R,1,2) everything electronically works radio, lights, blinkers high beams etc... Just will not turn over, only get clicking sound from that area. I did try and jump the car although the battery is brand new and same thing happened....nothing. Starter has a little more than 8 volts going to it with the key in the on position. All fuses are perfectly fine including those on the drivers side engine compartment. As you can see I have exhausted all options and I'm at a complete loss here I thought I understood cars pretty good as I was a mechanic 12 years ago but things have changed drastically since then and I am stumped!! It seems like some on this site are very knowledgable in these cars and so I decided to post this here. Any help is appreciated.

Back