Hauling stuff with your P5?

HandsomeRyan

:
2003 Mazda P5
I like my 03 P5 but I am always coming up with projects around the house that require hauling all manner of stuff from lumber to bikes to bags of concrete mix. My wife thinks I should trade it in and get a truck but I commute 45+ miles a day and I don't want to pay the fuel bill for a truck doing that and I can't afford a truck and to keep the car. So...

Inspire me to keep the P5 by posting pics and/or stories about epic hauling you have done with your P5.

I have a Yakima roof rack that I regularly use to haul my bike and my wife and I's tandem. I've also strapped over 100lbs of 10' rebar to the roof. The cargo area has been abused with concrete, small engine stuff, and lots and lots of dirt/plants because I'm a plant scientist by trade.

P5 w/ the tandem bike up top.

IMG_1240.jpg

From what I've read it seems as though you are already aware of just how versatile the P5 is for hauling. But you did ask for inspiration, so I'll give it a shot. lol

Four 185/70/14 snow tires...ho-hum
P5-BlizzakWS-50Feb282007001.jpg

Carbon Fiber Hood
P5-JDMTaillightsand3DCarbonFiber-1.jpg

Four 205/55/16 snow tires, floor jack, two sets of jack stands, misc tools, boxes of suspension goodies (hp's, s-techs and OEM hardware) and cooler of refreshments :)
P5-LoadedforCTAugust13th2010.jpg

P5-LoadedforCTAugust13th20102.jpg

P5-LoadedforCTAugust13th20101.jpg

P5 front bumper
NEPOCFallCleanMeetOct29th20113.jpg

A couple of bags of quikrete...the lowering spring of choice for the cheap man :)
P5-QuickreteLoad.jpg

P5-QuickreteLoad1.jpg

Cargo box we borrowed from a friend one year for vacation, the ultimate destination was the rack on our MPV
P5-CargoBox.jpg

Two 4x8 sheets of plywood that I tied down to the roof
P5-PlywoodHauler2.jpg

I have two more epic hauls that I unfortunately do not have pics of. :(

The first included a set of 205/55/16 tires mounted on wheels and a mountain bike. We had just traded the MPV in for the Mazda3 and that day I had stopped at the dealer to pick up the snow tires (they were nice enough to swap them out for me after trading it in). On the way home, I stopped at a local bike shop that was having a pre-season sale to pick up a rack for the 3 and won the bike in a raffle! As I stood out in the parking lot in the cold contemplating the best way to load the bike, I kicked myself in the ass for selling the roof rack years ago.

The second included tools, floor jack, two sets of jack stands, a set of 205/50/16 tires mounted on wheels, BNIB cat-back exhaust and cooler of refreshments that accompanied me to Ohio for a weekend meet.

I know others can chime in with further inspiration and there are quite a few musicians that picked the P5 based on the cargo capacity for hauling their gear to gigs.

9520_571730680459_48800484_33644911_8099027_n.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

i dont have pics but ive also hauled three bikes in the back standing with the front wheels off (one half seat folded down so we could have a guy ride in the back.

p5 has been amazing. never going to a non hatch after this car

Last edited:
2 full size tables and a cooler somewhere under... like a glove!

and next week i should be stuffing in a set of wheels and tires (unmounted)

pp.jpg

p.jpg

good evening gents - i'm actually wondering if anyone knows the size of the rear cargo area. I know the cubic feet, but I want to know if I can fit a box with a TV in it. I need 55" from the back of the hatch area to the front seats (rear seats folded down) and need 32" between the wheel wells... anyone know if that might fit? forgive the question but I'm away from my car, and wanting to pull the trigger on a TV that may sell out... thanks in advance if anyone reads this.

Back