Idle problems and throttle problems

dcdirtrider

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I just recently inherited my brothers 2003.5 MSP and it has some issues that I need help fixing. The first is that when I start the car, the car idles great for a minute or so. After that minute, the car asks drops rpm and almost dies then revs up again and runs fine. It does this every other minute. It starts fine and the oil tempurature is normal. Also, when driving the car and i apply full throttle, the car kinda acts like its bogging out and lurches foward a couple times. If you apply around 25% throttle, then the car acts like it should when full throttled and boosts fine and revs fine. But once you give it over 25% throttle, the car lurches foward and backward, and loses power again. The car also smells like its running rich i shut off the car. I wish I had more info but this would be the first vehicle for me that doesnt run on diesel for me. So please help me out, and let me know what your thoughts are.

I had mine flashed 2 weeks ago and now my idle will drop down every now then then and go back to normal, but never dies or anything. I also still get the bogging issue every now and again, but it does feel like a more consistent pull at 1/4 throttle as you said or right after start up. Check and see if the car has been flashed if you don't know. I believe there is a decal under the hood or in the door jam if it has been. I'm pretty new to this forum so someone with a little more knowledge can confirm this.

Its a common issue with the msp the tune from factory is too rich , one option is to reflash the ecu like mentionned before or get some sort of piggy back like afc split second.

Its a common issue with the msp the tune from factory is too rich , one option is to reflash the ecu like mentionned before or get some sort of piggy back like afc split second.

Which one exactly? I have the same issue with my car and was looking into getting the ARC1 from Split Second, but I'm totally not sure if that would be what I need.

SSAFC is probably the most popular piggyback for the MSP, my car runs great with it and I haven't tuned it much yet.

I am realizing that all my idle and hesitation issues were from my bad fuel pressure regulator. Take the vac line off close to the intake and suck on it, (no pun intended), and if you taste fuel that means the fpr diaphram is leaking.

Back