09 cx-9 AWD--scraping noise w/light braking--appears not to be from brakes--AWD??????

fishingmn

:
2009 cx-9 touring
I have a 2009 cx-9 AWD touring.
When using light brake pedal there is an on/off/on/off scraping sound coming from the front passenger side wheel area.

It is not a constant scaping, it appears to happen once per rotation of some part(on/off/on/off), and sometimes does not happen at all.
The tempo of the noise is tied to vehicle speed. The tempo decreases with vehicle speed.

It occurs with light braking from 40mph and under. If moderate to heavy brake is applied the noise stops.

The car is pointing straight ahead, happens on smooth roads, and no jerking or vibrations are felt. The only sypmtom is the noise.

I pulled the brakes apart and nothing was rubbing or scraping. The cv boots are good and I could not detect any free play.
The strange thing was after it was back together the noise stopped for a couple weeks, but then came back.

It has been happening for 3-4 months and is getting louder. It does not happen in reverse.
I am worried, could this be the AWD? I only have 500 miles of warranty left.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Get to the dealer before the warranty is out. Once the warranty is done it is a big hastle to get them to do anything. You will have to contact Mazda corporate and hope they agree it is a problem with their parts.

My vote is uneven pad transfer on the rotors. Replace the rotors. I had the EXACT same problem and it got louder and worse. Of course you are saying your brakes look fine, and my pads had chunks breaking off of them, but still, that is my vote. Of course it could be many things: transmission, cv joints, wheel bearings, rotors/pads, abs tone ring/sensor (but abs light would come on for that), who knows. Good luck, let us know!

I have a 2009 cx-9 AWD touring.
When using light brake pedal there is an on/off/on/off scraping sound coming from the front passenger side wheel area.

It is not a constant scaping, it appears to happen once per rotation of some part(on/off/on/off), and sometimes does not happen at all.
The tempo of the noise is tied to vehicle speed. The tempo decreases with vehicle speed.

It occurs with light braking from 40mph and under. If moderate to heavy brake is applied the noise stops.

The car is pointing straight ahead, happens on smooth roads, and no jerking or vibrations are felt. The only sypmtom is the noise.

I pulled the brakes apart and nothing was rubbing or scraping. The cv boots are good and I could not detect any free play.
The strange thing was after it was back together the noise stopped for a couple weeks, but then came back.

It has been happening for 3-4 months and is getting louder. It does not happen in reverse.
I am worried, could this be the AWD? I only have 500 miles of warranty left.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Fishingmn,

I know your post is dated now, but do you recall what happened with that scraping noise you were experiencing? What resolved it?

Thanks

Back