Front motor / engine mount job how-to. The mount price varied considerably.

Brcobrem

Hi Forum,

The following excerpt was copied from a post in the Transmissions forum titled "2002 Protege DX Clutch job", that can be found at:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123805483-2002-Protege-DX-Clutch-job

It just occured to me that an excerpt may better serve the forum members if it was posted here, as follows:

". . . While I was under there I noticed that the rubber in the front motor mount was broken. Get this: Autozone wanted $125 for one on the shelf, Advance Auto Parts was $77 in one day or $43 on-line, and my final source: Rockauto for $34.15 delivered. I called Autozone about their price being way out of line and they asked me to come to the store and they'd match it. I printed out the Rockauto page. When I drove all the way to Autozone, the store manager said no way they'd match that price, and proceeded to anonymously call a high-priced parts house in the area. She said the other place wanted $77 also. She also said she'd bought one for herself this summer for $135. I told her she paid $100 to much. Ha! Autozone had wasted over an hour of my weekend time, and gas, and mileage. So I came home and ordered the part from Rockauto. It arrived in perfect condition only three days later and is the exact same Beck/Arney 104-1606 motor mount that everyone was selling. I'd like to be the guy that is supplying motor mounts to Autozone. Ha! Since I already had the car up on jackstands for the slave cylinder job, with the parking brake on and the wheels blocked, I loosened all three front mount nuts (with P B Blaster solvent <applied first and let soak in ~5 minutes>), unscrewed the lower two nuts about 1/8", put the floor jack under the oil pan with a block of wood, and lifted the motor slightly until I saw the 1/8" space start to close up a little. I shoved a piece of wood between the motor and the frame just in case the jack tried to lower. The mount came right out no problem. Total time on the mount was about 15 minutes. Btw, only 50Ft Lbs on the 3 nuts or you'll strip them. Here's the how-to and advice I followed from the Toranto Protege Club's forum:
http://www.toprotege.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50998

Regards,
Brcobrem

Well for $20 worth of a tube of polyurethane I was able to repair two front motor mounts that I would have had to spend at least $120.00.

I also bought a engine support bar from Harbor Freight so I didn't have to support the car under the oil pan and subsequently mess up the oil pan gasket.

Right now my motor mounts are curing with the polyurethane so time will tell if this all works out for the better.

You repair process is becoming very interesting.

Btw, I thought I had to do a clutch job and one of the reasons I didn't want to attempt it myself was because of not having the engine support bar (turned out it is was only a bad clutch slave cylinder) (I gave the clutch job link in my opening thread above if interested). I thought the support bar was some special Mazda tool.

Is this the support bar you picked up?
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Also if I may: Any special prep that you're doing with the mounts? Or are you just cleaning the grime off and laying them flat on something like wax paper and pouring the polyurethane into them over the broken rubber (like pouring jello into a cake mold)? Maybe you have a link to the process or some new pics?

Regards,
Brcobrem

Yes, that is the support bar I bought from Harbor Freight.

I used a pen knife and cleaned as much loose rubber as I could. I also drilled a few 1/4" holes in the front passenger engine mount as there wasn't a lot of gaps in the rubber. I used brake fluid to clean off any grime but I've read where regular soapy water will work.

My wife cut out some cardboard to fit on one end of the mount and then duct taped it. I then filled the other side as best I could using a plastic knife to spread it even. I then turned the mount over and removed the tape and cardboard and filled in the remaining gaps on the other side using a knife to spread it evenly.

I then let it cure in my house (there wasn't much smell). Some say at least 24 hrs and some say 72 hours. I would say leave it as long as you can but at least 24 hrs.

I haven't driven the car yet so I am wondering if the vibrations in the car will be worse.

Nice price.

The pictures look exactly like the ones in RockAuto.com.

After driving the car a bit my prognosis is not to fill in all motor mounts with polyurethane because with just two front engine mounts filled the motor vibrations at idle are significant.

I will probably replace the front drivers engine mount back with OE.

Nice price.

The pictures look exactly like the ones in RockAuto.com.

After driving the car a bit my prognosis is not to fill in all motor mounts with polyurethane because with just two front engine mounts filled the motor vibrations at idle are significant.

I will probably replace the front drivers engine mount back with OE.

That DEA brand seems to be carried at a lot of online and brick and mortar vendors for prices sometimes a lot higher than the link I posted. Various forums for many vehicle makes seem to indicate they are fair/ok for stock replacement but many tuners call them junk. For my daily DX commuter, I think I'm gonna give them a shot and see what happens.

Does anyone have an opinion on this 4 piece motor mount set off Amazon? $121 shipped for the full set. Compared to best price online vendors, this seems like a better price, but not totally out of line cheap. They have both the AT and MT sets, this one is the manual trans...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Any way you look at it- kit, or parts purchased separately, Amazon is cheaper than RockAuto.com RockAuto does not have a 4-piece kit, and I had to get creative in order to find the front right mount- their "customer service" person was no help. Not a good sign.

And as I do not need the transmission mount (mine is in fine shape- given how long the others have been broken, if the trans mount was going to fail, it would have by now) I am getting by for $90.68 plus shipping- not too bad, for way too much time invested :)

I have the corksport inserts in new 90$ set mounts. Going to install them tomorrow. Anyone else have them installed on their car? they were a real bear to install into the mounts.

Back