Strange vibration and noise on highway speed. Link kit?

Bonclay

:
protege 5
Hi everyone,

When I come to a stop I hear a clicking noise and when drive my car at around 65 mph+ I can hear a strange noise like VROOOOOOOO and start feeling lots of vibration on my seat and steering wheel. Couple days ago I went to a garage and he said it was the clip on my caliper that was stuck, so they fixed it and said 1 of my rim were bent and I need to buy new rim. I bought a new rim. On the road again I get the same sound except the clicking noise and still get vibration. So I went to canadian tire to get a second opinion. They said my front bearing need to be changed and my wheels need some balance. I fixed it...Back on the road I can still hear that sound. I went back to canadian tire. they drove test my car and now they say my rear link kit is broken and need to be changed...I haven't changed it cause my friend said it's nonsense that link kit will cause those symptom, I tried some curve and bumps. I have to admit that my turn feel a little harder than the usual and I can hear some clunking noise.

Will link kit cause these symptom? I will change those rear link kit since it's cheap but anyone have an idea where that sound could come from?

Thanks,

Bon

can you take a video? it sounds like a tire out of balance and alot of road noise and possibly bad mechanics

If its the end links youd only hear it over pumps. This doesnt sound like a bump and pothole dependent noise.

It sounds like one or both of your CV chafts are going. IF you have an auto trans go from reverse to drive a couple times with your foot on your brake.. See if doing that will duplacate the "clicking" noise..

If you have a five speed drive in tight circles and see if that makes the clicking louder and harder feeling. No need to go faster then 5 or 10mph when doing this test..

JT

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input...I went back to the garage to change my rear link kit and they said they fine but the one on the left front need a replacement. Now they says that my rear struts are shots. I'm gonna wait before changing them cause I don't think they are shots, I don't hear the clunking noise anymore, guess that link kit fixed that. I can still hear that vibration sound. I can't make a video but I found one on youtube with the same sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tadvk1RwUE&feature=related

Sounds like a bearing, I still think it's a wheel bearing and I think they fixed the wrong one, when I listen carefully I think it's coming from the front left but they changed the right front. I'm gonna check with my friend tommorrow and try your test jtlinna.

If it happen to be the left and they did the right, can I get a refund or something, that's a bad analyse from the mecanic.

Jtlinna, my clicking noise is gone, it was from the caliper and it's fixed, I don't hear it anymore.

Thx guys,

Bon

Last edited:
Try this...
Go jack up each wheel in the front one at a time. Grab it from top to battom (12 and 6 o'clock) and jerk it hard in and out. There should be no play.. Then do the same thing left to right(3 and 9) but gentle like and feel for play before the wheels start to turn. There should be no play.
Report back!

JT

PS while you have each wheel in the air spin the wheel to see if you can pin point any weird noises...

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Ok I went to do all the test, it end up that my front left bearing was dying...I changed and voila! no more noise!!! BUT THERE'S ANOTHER PROBLEM! I was driving happy on the highway and then there's a car in front me which I was follow for a while, my gf tell me to change lane since the guy in front was so slow... I switch lane then hit the gas since I saw a car coming from behind...As soon I get out of the highway I start hearing a knocking sound :(...The higher the rpm, the louder it gets...Now looking over the internet, it's sounds like a spun bearing in motor.

Here's my question:
1) Can a spun bearing be fixed?
2) Best option? Fix that that spun rod vs swap motor?
3) Swap motor vs new car? ( My car has over 100K miles on it)
4) Can I drive with a spun bearing while looking for something else?
5) What to do with that lemon ? Can I still get something out of that ?
6) Change gf?

Many thanks,

Bon

Last edited:
Back