Engine Removal Question

BamaGN

My 2007 CX9 blew the motor about a month ago. It has 79000 miles on it and I took it to the dealer to see if they could do anything with it. They said 8600 for a new motor and installation. I also asked them what happened and they said we found sludge in the lifter valley, their way of taking the blame off of Mazda. I did my own oil changes every 5000 miles, there was once I didnt get around to doing it to 9000 miles. I started to remove the everything to swap out motor myself, and btw, there was a nice coating of dust on the valve cover which tells me they never took the valve cover off. If they did there would be fingerprints or it would have been cleaned off a little. I have found a couple of low mileage motors. My question is what is the best way to remove the motor, from the top or bottom? And do I leave the trans on there. I have a 97 camaro and it comes out the bottom, you can tell from looking at it from the top, there is no room. But this CX9 looks like it will have room coming out of the top as long as the radiator is removed and if it will clear the transmission input shaft and the frame on the passengers side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Since you are about to do a big job, it makes sense to invest a little more to
get a copy of the WorkShop manual (paper or PDF). There is very detail info on how to
remove the engine. I believe it is from the top after taking the hood off.

Back