Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

Lovin' the new shots, Phil!

How did you take this one? What was the camera and setup used?

Biker.jpg

Also great to see progress shots on your "Last RX-7" project...You are obviously going to require a lot of air passing through the front there...What sort of front-end do you have in mind? Stock? Modified stock? Aftermarket?

photo4-3.jpg

Beautiful!

Thank you!

Lovin' the new shots, Phil!

How did you take this one? What was the camera and setup used?

Biker.jpg

Antione, I used the older GoPro hero.. I forgot to set the camera to shoot video and it was shooting still shots :)

Also great to see progress shots on your "Last RX-7" project...You are obviously going to require a lot of air passing through the front there...What sort of front-end do you have in mind? Stock? Modified stock? Aftermarket?

photo4-3.jpg

Well, you have to wait a little for me to update ;)

Update..

Things that I would do for rotary cars... Again, this isn't quite related to this build but related to my 20B Cosmo and what I would do for some of the rarest parts in the country.

I've followed this front clip for over 2 years.

IMAG0237.jpg

It was owned by a friend Drew in ATL, GA and I found out about it just as him and his business partner was going separate ways. Due to separation, car was in a limbo and I was unable to purchase the parts. Couple of parts I wanted are, RE-A steering column pod and the RE-A bumper add on and the bumper.

IMAG0242.jpg

After the Drew sold his half off, the front clip ended up going to his old partner... when I asked to purchase these parts, the new owner refused to sell to me the 2 parts and wanted me to purchase the entire clip. After refusing, he tells me he will never sell it to me. About 2 years later (last month), friend of mine gave me a lead and located the new owner of the clip. New owner ended up being a guy in florida whom I bought 2 x 3 rotors about 7-8 years ago. What a small world!!
I ended up driving from Bham, AL to Fruitland, FL to finally pick up the parts I been waiting over 2 years!

Fruitland.jpg

Loaded up the SUV and came back to Bham... all in 48 hour trip :)

This was my 2nd 20B clip I stripped..

Here is the first one that I stripped.

4226_87291100377_637860377_2274397_.jpg

4226_87291145377_637860377_2274404_.jpg

After this 3 rotor project is done, I'll be using the new front bumper and the extra hood I have and re paint the cosmo.

Last edited:
Other cool things I got from the Cosmo Front clip from Florida are:

MS air filter in good shape
415824_10150859789418927_1957964813_o.jpg

RE-Amemiya Plug wires in excellent condition
469687_10150859950313927_488495180_o.jpg

and the RE-Amemiya Steering column pod and boost gauge. I actually contacted RE-A 2-3 years ago about getting this unit but they said they stop production and was not going to make it.
468333_10150864506868927_1232287705_o.jpg

And my Cosmo as it sits today... Pulled it out of my garage to do some electrical stuff done for the house.

IMG_3002copy.jpg

July 9th, 2012 - Finally some update... Here are some sneak preview pics of what the car will kind of look like exterior wise.

photo23.jpg

RE-Amemiya Carbon Fiber Fender mirrors

photo24.jpg

I had to ditch my last bumper because it was messed up by my old body shop. Luckily a friend in New Orleans helped me and sold me his personal bumper.

photo25.jpg

With the carbon RE-Amemiya N1 undersweep on the bumper. This is just a test fit and getting the car ready for the paint and body in a week or so.

More updates coming friday.

July 13th, 2012 - Today's Update for the week.

Well, to start, I've got my rare red Mazdaspeed seats from Japan. I've seen the white and black ones (I have one of the black) before but never seen one in red. I have a fellow rotary guy in Japan who helped me get these seats and just got them cleaned and reconditioned to near mint condition.

MSseats1.jpg

Also Walker Morgan from www.MPFab.com have installed my new Tial MV-R wastegate and the new BOV. As you can tell, the new theme is silver and black :)

TIAL1.jpg

ENGINE1.jpg

FDTIALMPFab.jpg

And finally after many many many months of wait, phone calls, etc etc. I finally got my new manual brake system (just a test fit).

Chase1.jpg

Next week is the tear down, and the shell and all the body pieces goes to Paint and Body @ Goolsby Customs (www.GoolsbyCustoms.com). Jonathan Goolsby is one of the top painters in the country who won last year's SEMA GM Design award!! Can not wait to see what he will do with this car. Will post more details as car now goes in to the final stretch!!

July 19th, 2012 - MPfab.com / Walker Morgan has been finishing up the engine bay so we can't send the car to the paint and body.

Here are few more pics of the progress..

photo33.jpg

New side panels on rails :)

photo34.jpg

I was trimming the bumper most of the afternoon.. making sure it fits perfect.

photo30.jpg

Pic of my heavy duty sway bar mount and sway bar :)

photo29.jpg

One off fenders by Shine Auto :) Thanks to the owner Ken, he made me a one off FEED fenders for this build. I been two toning like this on my other FD and decided to continue on..

image-1.jpg

Finally, MS seats... waiting to be shipped from Japan!!! Can't wait to get them!

Fantastic updates, Phil! (2thumbs)

Interesting to know that Mazdaspeed made a filter for the EC...Sad to see those front clips (its like looking at a mutilated person to me) but nice to see you scored some sweet parts.

As for your 7 Build...Great to see close up shots of the fabrication work and those seats are killer...How old are they?

sooooooo THIS is what happens when wankel man has some extra cash....hmmm, I always wondered that. MASSIVE props man, I love the total rebuild.

Fantastic updates, Phil! (2thumbs)

Interesting to know that Mazdaspeed made a filter for the EC...Sad to see those front clips (its like looking at a mutilated person to me) but nice to see you scored some sweet parts.

As for your 7 Build...Great to see close up shots of the fabrication work and those seats are killer...How old are they?

Yeah, I know.. Luckily some of the parts are going to a good cause :)

Seats vary in ages... I already had one black seat and got two red ones about a month ago, but one of the red was in so so condition and wanted a mint red. These seats came in other Mazdas but finding FD specific bracket was a challenge. Luckily one of the FD owner in Japan has been helping me getting them and shipping them for me.

sooooooo THIS is what happens when wankel man has some extra cash....hmmm, I always wondered that. MASSIVE props man, I love the total rebuild.

LOL! Remember, I been building FDs for the past 15 years or so.. My close to 1200 sq. ft or so garage/basement is filled with FD parts that I've collected over the years and now I'm reusing them.

LOL! Remember, I been building FDs for the past 15 years or so.. My close to 1200 sq. ft or so garage/basement is filled with FD parts that I've collected over the years and now I'm reusing them.

right on. I've only owned 1 rotary and have had her for 8 years, and I have obsessed over them for 15. Bought her for 1,200 when I moved to Oregon for college rife, with ransmission problems and a bum engine, but she ran, and even in her sorry state, It was magic. She even made it into my wife's wedding vows. Proclaiming that "under no circumstance, nor life, or death will I ever make you sell your Rx7." Your FD gives me hope that I will finish my build (insert cash here)

right on. I've only owned 1 rotary and have had her for 8 years, and I have obsessed over them for 15. Bought her for 1,200 when I moved to Oregon for college rife, with ransmission problems and a bum engine, but she ran, and even in her sorry state, It was magic. She even made it into my wife's wedding vows. Proclaiming that "under no circumstance, nor life, or death will I ever make you sell your Rx7." Your FD gives me hope that I will finish my build (insert cash here)

That's a great story and I am sure you will one day finish your rx7. Its hard to find time, but sometimes the passion will help you find that time.

July 23rd, 2012 - Update!

Well, I'm getting ready to start putting things together and getting stuff out of the boxes and checking to be sure I got everything for the last min assembly..

Here are some of the stuff I've gotten..

Stance USA - Pro Comp 3 Coilovers (http://stance-usa.com/sus/products/coilovers/procomp3)

StanceUSA4.jpg

StanceUSA5.jpg

StanceUSA6.jpg

StanceUSA9.jpg

StanceUSA8.jpg

StanceUSA7.jpg

My reason for picking this unit is: great price, great customer support from Stance USA.. and I've heard great things about their products from racers and street drivers.

Product looks to have great craftsmanship and quality. I can't wait to install them.

July 24th, 2012 Update..

Car is about to leave MPFab and we are finalizing few things. Here are some pics..

MPFab01.jpg

MPFab02.jpg

MPFab03.jpg

We started to tear it down..

MPFab04.jpg

MPFab09.jpg

and

MPFab12.jpg

everything out!

Can't wait to see further progress... Any idea what color you're going with?

I have an idea.. but I would like to keep it undisclosed til some parts are painted..

July 26th, 2012 - Everything has been taken off and the car is now at Jonathan Goolsby's, 'Goolsby Customs' (www.GoolsbyCustoms.com).

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

There, car will be painted using latest BASF water based paint. Can't wait to see what Mr. Goolsby will do with this car!!

one of my friends has been working on some of the new BASF paints and they are just awesome looking.

the car is looking great and cf splitter that feeds the v mount and the turbo is just awesome.

one of my friends has been working on some of the new BASF paints and they are just awesome looking.

the car is looking great and cf splitter that feeds the v mount and the turbo is just awesome.

Thank you! I saw the BASF paint at the SEMA last year and really liked how they turned out. I hope Mr. Goolsby would do an amazing job on this car.

Also, I think I forgot to post about the engine...

Here is when it was just built.

n532683926_1627479_631811.jpg

n532683926_1627480_4086416.jpg

n532683926_1627477_6448344.jpg

n532683926_1627476_8283611.jpg

Its from the last year Eunos Cosmo 3 Rotor, "D" series motor, broken down and rebuilt with ported intake, less restrictive 13B-REW exhaust sleeves, Balanced rotating assemblies, Lapped housings, and all new seals and gaskets... And built by one of the best builder I know.. Luis Canizales.

I know nothing about rotaries and this is my first time looking at this thread. The detail going into this build is simply amazing. I just read the entire thread word for word and will definitely be following progress.

I know nothing about rotaries and this is my first time looking at this thread. The detail going into this build is simply amazing. I just read the entire thread word for word and will definitely be following progress.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the kind words.

Did you measured the coilovers for advertised height?
I kid, I kid... (rofl2)

Good one :)

July 31st, 2012 - Over the weekend, I had a chance to pick up a unique parts for this car... One of them being this, FEED GT II R wing.

photo1.jpg

And yesterday I had a meeting with Mr. Goolsby at www.GoolsbyCustoms.com about how the car is going to be built... and brought bunch of carbon parts :)

photo4-4.jpg

Back