Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

Don't part and sell me the MB FD lol!!!

I'm not quite parting out the car.. more turning it into streetable car that I can get in and out with ease and drive around town.

That fab shop does some beautiful work, fit and finish look amazing.

Walker from www.MPFab.com is great! I consider him to be an artist and wants to do things that not many people have done. Very creative man with mad skills..

That being said, here are my latest update..

December 22nd, 2011 - I went over to MPFab to check out the manifold progress and lend a hand if needed (not that I can do much). We also wanted to test fit the turbo and get some measurements and clearance.. But in order to finish everything up, I need to get the new steering rack.

Anyhow, here are some Walker Morgan's handy work (www.MPFab.com)

walker02.jpg

walker01.jpg

walker05.jpg

walker03.jpg

walker15.jpg

walker13.jpg

walker09.jpg

walker21.jpg

walker19.jpg

walker18.jpg

December 26th, 2011 - After a full day at work, I decided to take the dash apart and get it ready to get it recovered by my interior guy tomorrow..

Here are some pics of the stripped dash..

DSC_2782.jpg

re-enforcement bar and wires..

DSC_2783.jpg

I'm also re doing the center tunnel and door panels.. Should take about a month..

^^Well, that might be because your is still top mounted turbo (which is how most rotary guys do). I'm utilizing the 20B to clear the steering rack to avoid bump steer and because of that, we are able to build a bottom mount turbo. This would also bring the weigh of the turbo down more at the bottom vs. already top heavy swap.

^^Well, that might be because your is still top mounted turbo (which is how most rotary guys do). I'm utilizing the 20B to clear the steering rack to avoid bump steer and because of that, we are able to build a bottom mount turbo. This would also bring the weigh of the turbo down more at the bottom vs. already top heavy swap.

I believe air will travel nicely into the turbo there also. Going V-mount? Can you PM me the 20B price? Just wondering how much are them now. Planning to buy one in the future to do a NA/PP/ITB/MotecM800 swap...

I believe air will travel nicely into the turbo there also. Going V-mount? Can you PM me the 20B price? Just wondering how much are them now. Planning to buy one in the future to do a NA/PP/ITB/MotecM800 swap...

20B price will vary pending what series and such. I haven't looked into pricing in a while so you might need to do your own research... sorry!

December 30th, 2011 - Not much update on the car... but in a rotary related thing, I had a chance to go see some rare historical rotary cars in Nashville, TN.

Thanks to Founder/Director of Lane Motor Museum, I had a chance to see, hear, and touch some historical and super rare rotary cars.

Here are some pics from my private tour.

1967 NSU Spider - This is the first production rotary car with single rotor, rear mounted engine.

RareRotaries29.jpg

RareRotaries31.jpg

RareRotaries28.jpg

RareRotaries33.jpg

Another Rare NSU Ro-80 - A Birotor sedan

RareRotaries04.jpg

RareRotaries09.jpg

RareRotaries07.jpg

RareRotaries08.jpg

Citroen GS Birotor - I knew about the NSU, but did not know about this Citroen vehicle.

RareRotaries38.jpg

RareRotaries27.jpg

RareRotaries24.jpg

And finally a super rare Citroen M35 Prototype single rotor vehicle... This is the only one in USA.

RareRotaries18.jpg

RareRotaries15.jpg

RareRotaries19.jpg

RareRotaries16.jpg

January 4th, 2012 - Happy New Year!!!
Well, not much have been done to the car as I was busy at work... Also, I'm about to trade this shell for an R1 shell without the sunroof. Hoping to do that this weekend.
Anyhow, the little time I had, I stripped out the dash and refinished the rusty metal dash frame.

DashFrame1.jpg

I sanded it down to bare metal, treated with rust inhibitor, and primed it.

I then sprayed with gloss black then quick shot of gunmetal and clear the whole thing.. Shouldn't rust again :)

DashFrame2.jpg

I'm heading to my fabricator's shop (www.MPFab.com) to pull the engine out and get it ready for this weekend's shell swap.

sub for a great car builder. You really turn around some excellent cars herb!

January 5th, 2012 - My clutch for the 20B came in today from my favorite clutch company, EXEDY CLUTCH!! Here are few pics :)

ExedyClutch1.jpg

ExedyClutch2-1.jpg

ExedyClutch4.jpg

ExedyClutch5.jpg

ExedyClutch7.jpg

ExedyClutch8.jpg

January 10th, 2012 - Well, I would of made an earlier update but I had to put 14 hour day at work yesterday and didn't have much time to tell you all what happened to my trip.

Well, last week I was running around town trying to get my shell ready for a swap with an R1 shell (without sunroof) that a friend of mine had in GA. So, I had to pull the 20B out, get the hatch from my friend's shop (which I was going to paint it and put on my MB FD), find a trailer, and a friend to help me tow it. Because my fabricator does not come in on saturday, I also had to go there day early to pull the car out so I can load it day after.

Saturday morning (Jan. 7th) - We loaded up the car and got to my friend's place in GA. We started taking stuff off of his car and started to transfer to my shell.

ATL3.jpg

During this process, the car smelled really bad and we found some crazy stuff. Like dead mouse :)

ATL2.jpg

ATL1.jpg

I guess the car was sitting outside for awhile and a mouse made a nice home out of this RX-7.

Since I was going to strip this car to bare metal, I didn't really care about the smell or the dead mouse.... but I did care about what I found next, a bent frame that lead to bent head light assembly mounting points. This is a bad sign as when headlights are mounted and pop ups go up and down, the geometry is messed up so the lights might not line up. At this point, I was quite upset.. Just because I asked my friend to check the car as he knew the car was in an accident before. Also because my car was on hold for 2-3 weeks as my fabricator couldn't cut anything on the shell because of this swap. And I wasted my weekend, other people's time, etc just because my friend didn't take 10 mins to check over the car carefully and to see where the accident was. But he's a friend and he feels bad and going to help me out later so I cant be mad at him.

Anyhow, we loaded the car back up and drove it back to my fabricator.

ATL5.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have more fabrication updates later this week!

January 12, 2012 - Last night, I went over to www.MPFab.com to install the 20B back in to the car and get the car ready so that owner of MPfab.com can start building the exhaust system and the V-mount.

Since its important that everything needs to sit the way it is, we needed to install the tranny, ppf, catback, MP, etc... but like always, we ran into other issues..

Issue #1 - Defined Auto kit did not level the engine.

IMG_2059.jpg

This might be because I had issue lining up one of their motor mount bracket and I had to enlarge the hole in order to get the brackets to slid into the motor. But, that's not it as one of the top hole should of kept the height in order..

Issue #2 - Correcting leveling issue.

We measured everything to make sure if it was the mount or if it was the car. After measuring the chassis, subframe, core support, etc, we came to the conclusion it was the mount. So, we added couple of spacers to see how much it was off..

IMG_2060.jpg

After adding the spacers (3/8 inch), we had other issues.. which is now the engine was sitting bit to high and PPF was hitting the tranny tunnel. So, we lifted the engine, pull the passenger side mount and cut 3/8 to level it back out. After that, we wanted to make sure if everything else was going to fit so, we dropped the sub frame and bolted the oil pan on to double check everything...

IMG_2063.jpg

At this point, everything seems ok after cutting but the PPF still seems bit close to the top of the tranny tunnel.

Next, I'm going to bring my AutoEXE braces so Walker from MPFab.com could build the exhaust that will clear all the bracing.

Latest posts

Back