Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

Herblenny

Brief information about me...

My name is Philip Sohn. I been in rotary scene for over 10 years and have owned my share of rotaries (RX-2, RX-3, 1st gen RX7, 2nd gen RX-7, 10 or so 3rd gens, RX-8, Eunos Cosmo 3 Rotor, etc).
Here are few pics of the cars I've owned..

1993 MB RX-7, 1972 Orange RX-2 coupe, 2004 Lighting Yellow GT RX-8
0622081601.jpg

1985 GSL-SE RX-7 mint!
96933739.jpg

1991 RX-7 convertible (first rotary I bought)
3a22d1d3.jpg

1973 RX-3 coupe (track ready)
DSC00646.jpg

1993 RX-7 base blk/blk (my first FD)
45140_425324508926_532683926_5056604_7365992_n.jpg

1991 Eunos Cosmo 3 Rotor
1.jpg

1994 SSM FD (My other project)
185385_10150264195948927_532683926_7820994_7763271_n.jpg

I also run one of the biggest rotary car event called, 'Deals Gap Rotary Rally' (www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com).
modp_1010_01_o+deals_gap_rotary_rally+attendees.jpg

And if someone ask me what my specialty is, it would be 3rd generation RX-7. I've owned more of these than any cars and have built 3-4 of them in the past. I personally think FD3S RX7 is the best car Mazda has produced and one of the top sports car available in the 90s and still one of the best today. For the past 8 years, I been collecting rare parts, manuals, magazines, and been lucky that some vendors appreciated my build and sponsored me (Thank you Exedy USA, WORK Wheels, Disc Brakes Australia, and Bride). Last year, I made it on to the cover of Modified Magazine and recently featured on S3 Mag.

rx7cover.jpg

Modified Mag feature: http://www.modified.com/features/modp-1001-1993-mazda-rx7-and-1991-eunos-cosmo/viewall.html
Modified Mag feature about my event: http://www.modified.com/events/modp-1010-deals-gap-rotary-rally/viewall.html

After over 10 years of owning and now my life is starting to change (Married and with a young son), I am wanting to build my "Last RX-7" and go out with a bang. I been studying and researching about 3 rotor RX-7 and that is what my "Last RX-7" will be.

From Now til SEMA 2012, I will be posting here my build process... Pretty much from a stripped chassis to show/track ready RX-7. This is almost 10 years of making in which that I been collecting parts for about that long... and how things comes around in full circle. So, please check often as I'll be posting detail process of this build.

Now to my build!

Friday Nov. 4th, 2011 - It was my last day at SEMA 2011 in Vegas, talking to some of my sponsors and checking out the cars at SEMA. But my main goal was to find a vendor/sponsor who will show my "Last RX-7" next year. After talking to few, I approached my sponsor Disc Brakes Australia (http://www.dba.com.au/) who graciously supported me in the past with my other RX-7 and RX-8. I had this 5-10 minute spill all lined up and asked the owner of DBA about my car being at their booth next year. After 2 sentences out of my mouth, owner said, "Sure!". I didn't know what to say at that point.. I think I just mumbled on and finished pitching the car even though I already got an OK from the owner. He said, he will love to have the car and right and there, my dream of building a car to SEMA has begun!!!

Sunday Nov. 6th, 2011 - I flew back to Birmingham, AL day before and I got sick. This is the day I'm heading to New Orleans, LA to pick up my rolling chassis to begin my "Last RX-7" project. I was pretty sick in the morning where I went into UAB Hospital ER to make sure I was ok to travel. They gave me some antibiotic and I decided to head down there to pick up this 1993 Red RX-7. With help from a good friend John Lewis and loaner trailer from my best friend Leo Huang, we drove to New Orleans to pick up the FD.

And here it is!

VRFD2.jpg

VRFD1.jpg

VRFD6.jpg

VRFD5.jpg

VRFD4.jpg

Thanks to my friends in New Orleans, Jack and Jonathan from Gorilla RE (www.GorillaRE.com) I got the car loaded and then we went out to eat :)

Monday Nov. 7th, 2011 - We left New Orleans and headed back to Bham to drop off the car at my friend Walker Morgan's shop. He is by far the most professional and best fabricator in town. His skills are by far the best I have seen and he himself have worked on several SEMA cars and such. His company webiste is: www.mpfab.com

Car leaving New Orleans
373883_10150365163818927_532683926_8515803_1619149828_n1.jpg

At Walker's Shop! www.mpfab.com
392987_10150365585203927_532683926_8518072_234305181_n1.jpg

Wednesday, Nov. 9th, 2011 - Been searching for my missing parts and trying to put my engine together so we can test fit it in the car.

Here is my 20B/3 Rotor, built D series engine. Engine was built by my builder Luis Canizales. I consider him to be one of the top builders in the country.

20B4.jpg

Test fitting the motor mounts.
20B1.jpg

Different flanges for the manifold.. trying to decide which ones to use.
20B2.jpg

Ready to transport!
20B3.jpg

Wednesday Nov. 16th, 2011 - I was going to install the engine earlier, but due to rain, I didn't get to until now.. I decided to delete PS, AC.. So, I used Mavel manual rack to install the 20B.

In the engine bay!
20Bisin7.jpg

20Bisin6.jpg

20Bisin2.jpg

20Bisin4.jpg

20Bisin5.jpg

Wednesday, Nov. 23rd, 2011 - Today, I took couple of my strut tower bar to test fit it on the car. Make sure if it will clear the UIM (No pics). Unfortunately, both bars did NOT clear. I also cleaned up the car a bit and pulled the body electric harness off of the car.

Monday, Nov. 28th, 2011 - I was thinking about the clearance issue and decided to go with Atomic Rex manual rack. I think this should give me additional 1/4 to 1/2 inch more clearance.

Wednesday, Nov. 30th, 2011 - Made a deposit for Atomic Rex manual rack.. We shall see how much space I'll have. If I could drop 1/4+ inch, I should be able to use my Cusco D shape strut tower bar without an issue.

Friday, Dec. 2nd, 2011 - A Japanese rotorhead in KY helped me out with translating the wiring diagram for the super rare, Defi DSSC. Thanks Yuki Sawai!!!

Defi DSSC is one of the rare item that never sold in USA and Defi did not allow this item to be sold outside of its dealers. Total of about 400 were made and I believe I might be the first in USA to put it in an FD.

Here are some pics of the unit.

DSSC7.jpg

DSSC6.jpg

DSSC5.jpg

December 6th, 2011 I got a call from my fabricator and he said he checked on the pricing for the Stainless 321 and going to order some for the new manifold set up. This means, my old SS 321 manifold with Racing Beat header flange is for sale!!! If you are interested let me know :)

Here are pics of my old flange set up!

Here are the pics and placement of the turbo.. Turbonetic T76.

3rotorFD2.jpg

3rotorFD1.jpg

In the car with Hinson 20B /Pettit Subframe with this manifold with Garret T76 with T3 flange.

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

has any one ever tried putting 2 20bs together, it would be long and hard to fit but it would be awesome.

pretty sure the shots with the engine together with turbo setup is from an older build to show his old setup.

love the dedication man, cant wait to watch this thing evolve to a beast.

Looking good! Ive always thought about picking up a 93 rx7 FD. Just heard so many bad thiongs about them. If you over rev them they pop easy, and so on. But good luck with the build! Looks like you know what your doing!

has any one ever tried putting 2 20bs together, it would be long and hard to fit but it would be awesome.

Well, there is a problem with 20B in itself... and no real benefit of going 6 rotor unless there is a specific need (ie, more torque to pull a house or something). Otherwise, putting down power will be a tough task...

not painting the engine? will be keeping an eye on these one.,.,

I might be painting it, but haven't decided on color

Looking good! Ive always thought about picking up a 93 rx7 FD. Just heard so many bad thiongs about them. If you over rev them they pop easy, and so on. But good luck with the build! Looks like you know what your doing!

Like anything else, its all about how your build it and how you drive it. In general, more power, more things will break. I know people who tach 10K without an issue..

Update

December 8th, 2011 - My fabricator/friend Walker Morgan has explain to me how he was going to build the new 20B manifold. We've decided to use bit more expensive, 321 Stainless for the new manifold. I'm excited to see how its going to turn out!! Until then, I need to start working on the wiring for the car..

Here is a translated DSSC wiring diagram I received the other day... Only one in the WORLD!!!

DSSCwiring.jpg

Also, I realized I didn't mention much about my engine...

20B/3 Rotor is from a last year made Eunos Cosmo which each engine is stamped with a letter and a number. Earlier series are just numbers and last series starts with letter "D". This one is the later more stronger motor. Complete rebuilt with all new internals and slightly ported (RE blocks are already has big ports) and REW exhaust sleeves are put in place.
I actually bought this short block several years ago from Hector Gonzales, former NHRA modified class racer in Miami. He was going to use this engine to build his drag car but ended up selling it because of some financial issues.

Last edited:
December 9th, 2011 - Today, I was thinking about stripping my MB FD and start thinking about what I'm going to do to the exterior of the car... I started looking over some old builds I did and thought about turning my MB to what my Blk FD last looked..

My 1st FD / my 'black fd' and how it last looked in my possession..

DSC_7818.jpg

DSC_7813.jpg

I'm going to start parting out the MB this weekend!!!

December 13, 2011 - I didn't get much accomplished over the weekend... Kid, wife, holiday season, plus my old house that i'm trying to get rid of is sucking all my spare time I have.

Yesterday, I finally ordered my new wheels for this car from WORK Wheels.

324.jpg

I'll most likely use these on the street and my RAYS/VOLK RE30s on the track.

WORK CR Ultimate is their newest Emotion Series that are much lighter and stronger than previous CR series. I'm super excited to get them and now they are available in 10.5 width.

December 16th, 2011 - I've received some sneak peek pictures of the turbo manifold yesterday. Walker Morgan from www.MPFab.com did an excellent job.

Here are few pics from the pics he sent me!

20Bmanifold3.jpg

20Bmanifold2.jpg

20Bmanifold4.jpg

20Bmanifold1.jpg

Its made with Stainless 321, which Walker did his magic on them to look like this... Not sure if many of you seen how 321 comes form suppliers, but they looked horrible.

I'm heading over to the shop on monday to take some high res pictures with my dslr and also bring him the mid pipe and catback for him to test fit to make the DP.

Those of you who haven't heard of MPFab.com, he has worked on several exhaust systems for high end SEMA cars and custom hot rods. He also developed turbo kids for bikes and other sport compact cars.

MPFAB.jpg

For more information about them, go visit: www.MPFab.com

December 19th, 2011 - I went by MPFab.com this morning to drop off my titanium catback and a midpipe so, he can start working on the turbo placement and DP. I also had a chance to take a look at Walker's handy work. Man was I impress with his fabrication skills :)

Here are some better pics I've taken.

manifold2.jpg

manifold1.jpg

manifold3.jpg

I have yet to see bottom mount turbo set up on a rotary and I'm excited to see how all is going to turn out!

Back