keyless remote

tstex

Hello to all,

Hope everyone had a good thxgiving.

Have a 2009 CX9-GT...I think the battery in the keyless remote are dying because it takes 2-3 clicks to work and sometimes I have to hold it right by the dash to start the car...

My manual does not indicate how to remove the battery, as well as, the battery type. Any links or suggestions on how to properly remove the battery? I am also checking with you guys to make sure it is not something else other than the battery?

Thank you,
tstex

Last edited:
Note: the instructions were under "advanced" keyless remote, so I found it -if however, from your experience that the battery does not fix the problems I described, pls let me know.

Thx,
tstex

Hello to all,

Hope everyone had a good thxgiving.

Have a 2009 CX9-GT...I think the battery in the keyless remote are dying because it takes 2-3 clicks to work and sometimes I have to hold it right by the dash to start the car...

My manual does not indicate how to remove the battery, as well as, the battery type. Any links or suggestions on how to properly remove the battery? I am also checking with you guys to make sure it is not something else other than the battery?

Thank you,
tstex

Two to Three clicks to start? It's a proximity RF transmitter and you shouldn't have to press anything to start the car. Just turn the ignition key with the key fob inside the car. the only time you might want to press the button is to lock/unlock the door or liftgate.

I think he meant 2-3 clicks to lock/unlock the doors and he had to hold the key fob very close to the dash top turn the ignition switch (in other words keeping it in his pocket wasn't close enough).

Glad you found the info tstex. I just bought 2012 a couple weeks ago and changing the key fob battery was one of the things the salesperson made a point to show me. (I hope that doesn't mean these batteries die quick).

If you have the smart key, try to keep it at a distance from the vehicle (at least 10ft away).
It drains battery if the sensor (inside doors) and the key senses each others within distance.
I know some people leave there keys in the garage. That is not a good practice for Smartkeys.

Yes Mightlymavkev, you are correct on your statement regarding clicking to get in the car...the batteries did fix the problem.

Ceric, when you state not to leave the adv-keyless remote w/in 10 ft, you mean when the car is parked, correct? Does it still drain when you are driving? When I am at my ranch, I sometimes leave the key in the console [no issue with theft] for convenience purposes. However, if this drains the battery in the remote, I will not do so.

Appreciate the follow-up,
tstex

When happens is:
The ECU broadcasts signal within 3-6ft radius effective range.
When a kaycard is in range, it responds to the signal to identified itself (the ID code programmed in it).
The ECU recognizes the keycard and authorizes actions (such as button push on the handle and start button).
If you place the keycard in range, the communication keeps happening periodically. That is OK for the ECU
since your 12V can handle the small drain. However, the battery life of your keycard will suffer.

With normal use, the battery should last 3+ years. Mine did.

If you must, find a metal box, and put the box in the console with keycard inside.
The communication will not happen since the signal is shielded. Take the keycard out of the box before
you push the start button.

Last edited:
Back