Transponder for remote start options?

twintrbo

I finally pulled the trigger on a remote starter unit and I wanted to know what people thought of the different options for the transponder. Seems there are basically 2 choices:

1. Learning type that stands alone and can learn the signal needed to function, or
2. Non-learning that needs to have a programmed key mounted inside and left there at all times.

Just wondering if anyone has and experience/advice/input on this. Thanks! BTW should I make this a How-To?

Check out this fabulous help I got from their online chat! Check the typos on the link to the website, twice!

Brian says:
Hello Joel. My name is Brian how may I help you with your Xpresskit question?
Joel says:
Hello, I just purchased a Python 5303P remote start for a 2009 Mazda 5 and I wanted to know about the bypass modules
Brian says:
?
Joel says:
Is there any advantage to a learning system over one that requires a key?
Brian says:
Yes one you don't give up a key and one you do.
Joel says:
well thats the obvious one. But one does not have more functionality than the other?
Joel says:
Im looking at the xk05, would I need any special equipment to program it?
Brian says:
http://www.xkresskit.com
Brian says:
www.xkresskit.com will show the funtionallity between the two interfaces.
Brian says:
To download the firmware you will need an xkloader2 and xpressvip 4.2 downloaded on xpresskit.com.
Joel says:
ok so which unit would you suggest for my install that does not require any special equipment?
Brian says:
On xpresskit.com will tell you if you need a computer or not for programming the module
Brian says:
Anything else I can answer?
Joel says:
It probably does but its difficult for a non installer to figure it out. Thanks I'll figure it out on my own. Nothing else thanks.
Brian says:
OK bye.

If anyone cares, I got the DEI PK-ALL transponder. It doesn't need a key as it learns the code and transmits from inside the car. It didn't need any special equipment and worked on the first shot.

If anyone cares, I got the DEI PK-ALL transponder. It doesn't need a key as it learns the code and transmits from inside the car. It didn't need any special equipment and worked on the first shot.

Do you have the website for your remote start? I'm interested to know how these 'learning' remote start
works to 'bypass' the immobilizer'.

The OEM mazda remote start, the instructions includes a coil (or something) to be wrapped around the immobilizer coil.
Then there is a part they call 'DNA' card that they put into the remote start module.

The website doesn't tell you much. From what I gathered(and wired), it taps into the Data Bus on the Rx and Tx side and simply broadcasts whatever it needs to right through the factory wires. Once it was wired in, I needed to do the new key programming sequence with the bypass as the 3rd key.

Sorry, this is what you wanted to see: http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=196

FWIW I think the factory system is a POS. It offers nothing over aftermarket that I can think of, it doesn't even interface with the stock remotes.

Thank for the URL. I have the intall manual for the OEM remote start. (the transmitter only has 1 button)

I think the one you have uses the same approach as the OEM in interfacing to the Car's immobilizer system.
(i.e. it uses the 2 mazda5 keys). There is however a 'flat wire' that is wrapped around the ignition immobilizer coil.
this probably would transmit the learned 'key codes' to the immobilizer coil.

There is however a 'flat wire' that is wrapped around the ignition immobilizer coil.
this probably would transmit the learned 'key codes' to the immobilizer coil.

My unit does not have any coils to it. Its a box connected to the main brain and it has 2 wires that tap directly to the sensor attached to the ignition key cylinder. It speaks directly to the car via hard wire, there is no transmitter that I know of. I'll post some pics of the install when its all done.

I saw the manual for the OEM one too, thats what made me not want it :) Its very old school and doesn't offer many features. Mine has tons of options and 2 way communication with the car. Not only do I know that its actually running and got the signal, it even tells me the temperature in the car!

jumping in late, but from the looks of things you have successfully installed python 5303p with the remote start. Did you do it yourself? I've wanted an alarm system for some time, still can't decide if I'm ready to give up factory keys :)

Yup, did it myself. It wasn't too bad but not for amateurs or faint of heart. I love the switchblade Key too but my new remote kicks ass! LCD screen with 2 way paging and tons of info with dozens of programmable features. Well worth the loss of the key.

I've wanted to do this for some time, just couldn't pull myself to start :).

Would you be able to post some hints/suggestions? I'm expecially interested in the remote start set up. It looks like you used the PK=ALL, was it pretty straight forward connections with the actual alarm?
More importantly, did the alarm come with a manual?
i know DEI likes to not include manual for a lot of the Python and Viper models, forcing you to get it installed somewhere. I'm just convinced that I'll probably do a much better/clearner job (probably slower though) than somebody at BestBuy or like.

I did plan on doing a write up so stay tuned :) The remote start and pk all were simple as can be. The biggest issue for me were the door triggers of all things. I finally took the advice of an installer and went to the domelight wire rather than the diode isolated mess that the door pins are, not to mention I couldn't get the right wiring colors from my sources. Yes it came with a full manual btw, I know everything there is to Know about it.

I've wanted to do this for some time, just couldn't pull myself to start :).

Would you be able to post some hints/suggestions? I'm expecially interested in the remote start set up. It looks like you used the PK=ALL, was it pretty straight forward connections with the actual alarm?
More importantly, did the alarm come with a manual?
i know DEI likes to not include manual for a lot of the Python and Viper models, forcing you to get it installed somewhere. I'm just convinced that I'll probably do a much better/clearner job (probably slower though) than somebody at BestBuy or like.

Just as an FYI for all future attempters of this endeavor, the DB-ALL module is the way to go. It costs a little more than the PK-ALL(~$20) but it come pre-programmed which was not apparent to me from documentation I saw. On top of that, you dont need external relays for the door locks($10) and the door pin wiring is taken care of which was the biggest pain in the ass of everything I did. To wire the door pins directly, you also need to buy diodes and resistors on top of that. At this point, I'm into it for $170 which is about $230 less than it would cost if installed "professionally". Right now the 533/DBALL combo can be had for less than that due to small price drops. I'm considering switching out my PKALL for the DBALL in the spring, thats how much I would have preferred it!

Cool, thanks for th info, I was convinced that it had to be programmed with the needed firmware. Nice to know.

I was convinced too, but reading around it seems like it is programmed. There is so much confusing info out there its crazy. Even if it were not, I'm sure the guys at best buy could do it for you for $20 or so. Heck you could even buy it from Ebay, program, and sell it again if you really wanted to.

Back