High compression build?

eraser3469

:
2001 Mazda Protege Mp3
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with doing a higher compression ratio on the fsde motor? I was thinking about throwing 10.7:1 compression pistons in the mp3 along with a full dyno tune and head work. Any comments would be helpful.. thnx

im hoping so.. i think the fs ze motor has 10.4 :1 pistons.. and it makes 170 hp.. im looking to go as far as 200whp

you wont see 200whp na in these cars there is a thread about people trying but it hasnt been done even with major work. if you want 200 hp i would say turbo. ive considered both and still not sure what i want to do but more than likely it will be turbo

i've benn in that thread.. The goal is 100WHP for every liter of displacement.. so if you bore or do any work that increases the displacement you have to make more power.. i've posted a few on that thread. For somereason i feel like i could do.. i'll let u all know how it works out.

The problem with achieving 100hp a litre is it requires two things compression (lots of it) and lots of rpm to achieve it. The first isnt too hard to achieve a custom set of pistons with a compression ratio of ~12:1 and your well on your way.

The snag comes with revs, the FS just simply cant achieve the neccessary rpm to get to that figure without a fair bit of work to overcome its short fall. A custom light weight piston with a wrist pin mounted high on the piston is a good start as this allows you to run a longer rod. A light weight rod to go with the piston and your well on your way to achieving a high rpm motor.

The next hurdle is the intake manifold, youll either need a custom job or a set of ITBs (ITBs IMO would be the cheaper and better option). My plan for high compression revolves arounda FS block, FP crank, custom A beam rod, a honda piston (forget which model), ITBs, ECU, custom air box for ITBs along with hopefully a custom hood that will feed the ITBs cold air.

(Note: This has been overly simplified as I dont have time to get in depth atm (about to head out for bday breakfast) but installshield and lordworm have documented the problems associated with these engines pretty well).

You should get some awesome sauce head work done with a valve job and titanium bits. (also over sized valves)

Some hooked up cams, cam gears.

I personally would stay away from the ITBs (but thats only because no one has really done them here)

so has there been any dynos on a protege with fsze pistons and light head work and a tune? just wondering what kind of power you can get with that

You won't get 200whp without over 10grand invested in the right areas; crazy custom rods/pistons, crazy cams, tons of headwork, properly tuned exhaust, proper intake (piping, IM), and a VERY aggressive tune.
I've got most of this (not all of it crazy and I'm butt-dynoing around 140-150 with a more aggressive tune to come) using FS-ZE pistons and a bunch of other goodies you can see in my build thread (which is not dead but hasn't been touched in a while).

Someone dynoed 197hp once with an engine only dyno doing some stupid s*** with titanium internals before the price on these materials sky-rocketed but it would have been next to undriveable and ridiculously high RPMs for full power.

Nah, you don't need 10k for all of that... I know that it's different, but I built my B series block in my Civic to make 190whp without even touching the head. I was targeting 250whp all motor on pump gas, but never finished anything above the head gasket. Pistons and rods shouldn't run more than $1000, maybe $1500 if you have to go custom (I don't know what's available off the shelf for Mazda engines just yet), and quite a few companies (Crane, Web) will custom grind cams for not too much money- under $1000 easy. External plumbing shouldn't be more than $1000, then it's up to tuning. Do the labor yourself and it shouldn't be THAT bad. Pay a shop to do it all and you're going to be wildly variable on the price.

Custom pistons/ rods - $1200-1500
Precision head work and upgraded parts- $1000
block machining, rebuild parts and gaskets $800
Deep sump and new oil system $500-600
505 or custom intake manifold- $700

That's not including the other recomended parts like the

cooling system (alum. Rad and hoses)
Clutch, flywheel, LSD
Light weight pulleys
A/C-Powersteering delete

A mild built block and a turbo kit would be much cheaper.

Oh, I agree 100% that turbo is the way to easy cheap power- but there's just something about the way an all motor engine setup feels that you can't beat.

:D

Then again, some of my friends like to call natural aspiration "infinite lag".

Really?
Custom pistons/ rods - $1200-1500 traditional forged parts will never withstand the RPMs needed for 200whp, that's why Installshield - who hit "197" - had custom aluminum bits, although I don't know how much they would cost
Precision head work and upgraded parts- $1000 Sounds a little low but if you have the right connections...
block machining, rebuild parts and gaskets $800
Deep sump and new oil system $500-600
505 or custom intake manifold- $700 The original one (NOT designed for NA) was 1000$. How do you figure 700$? The one on MSM is 2grand

That's not including the other recomended parts like the

cooling system (alum. Rad and hoses)
Clutch, flywheel, LSD
Light weight pulleys
A/C-Powersteering delete
Fully custom exhaust! (probably around a grand for full SS, where most of the money goes into the header)
Standalone, or at least a very good piggyback (750-1000)

A mild built block and a turbo kit would be much cheaper.

Add all this up and you are pretty close to 10grand...

Last edited:
everyone is going to tell you that you cant make power this way.

i listened and went boost but that is not the point

you can make some good power NA. heres what you need: fsze pistons, fsze/corksport power series cams, some head work, remove vtcs, cai, header, exhaust, and ssafc/mpi tuner or standalone, youll make some good power. it will cost you a little money, but it it will be well worth it.

you will have immediate throttle response and power where you need it, and you will have the prestige of being someone who actually bothered to do a na build who could stand up to a mildly modded msp.

just do it man, dont let everyone else put you down.

and remember that it is not all about numbers....

KLZE + MegaSquirt + bolts ons + ~$5000 = 200whp and reliable.

But honestly, judging by the OP's signature, it doesn't sound like this is a realistic build for him because of the costs. As James Brown put it "Talkin loud, sayin nothin". :)

Back