What are these Mazda 3 i Sport "Type R" super basic models the dealers tried to sell?

LordJezo

What are these Mazda 3 i Sport "Type R" super basic models the dealers tried to sell?

So at two different dealers today in the NJ/PA area after getting an out the door price on the phone the salesperson said in person that the quoted price was actually for a 3i with the R inventory code which is super basic and doesn't come with keyless entry. Want the actual 3 that's advertised everywhere including mazdausa.com? Sorry, that's $1,500 more.

Whats this R inventory nonsense? On the Mazda site and in all their books keyless entry is standard, I can't find anything about these r model cars. One guy said it was all about the tsunami and now the prices are different. Is this a new sales scam, tell you a cheap price on a 3 and then when you show up say "oops, sorry, there are actually two different models of that i Sport?

Dealers always advertise for a base model to get you in the door and in reality they only have like 1-2 of them actually on the lot; doesn't matter what brand of car they all do it, haha! There are no power locks on the i-SV models for 2012. Not sure where in NJ you are but I got my MZ3 from Lester Glenn Mazda in Toms River, and I barely did much neogiating on my i-Touring w/ Bose & Moon pkg. for well under a i-Sport model; just get a price quote from a few Mazda dealers around them and they will destroy their prices.

The 'R' code cars are just 2012 Mazda 3i Tourings that DO NOT have the skyactiv technology. They (Mazda) did not have all the skyactiv production in place. So, the the first batch of released 2012 Mazda 3i Touring's were equipped with the standard 2.0 i4 engine. They are all but gone now. iSport's were never R-code cars.

Last edited:
Back