Evap leak.

:
mazda protege es, 2002
was wondering if anyone knew what a code: large evap leak, means and if i would be able to fix it myself. let me know

A leak in the EVAP system. Usually, it's just a loose gas cap. Remove and reinstall the cap, be sure you get your three clicks. Clear the code and see if it comes back.

If that doesn't keep the code from reappearing, check under the hood. You have the purge soleniod valve and the catch can. Check the hose there. The purge solenoid valve has a hose going to the intake manifold just behind the throttle body and another going to the catch can. The majority of the EVAP system is back by the fuel tank, a canister, a couple of valves, an air filter, and hose connecting it all.

still having this issue, the lines up front are good, but sometimes when filling up the gas tank, the check valve going into the air filter ( in the evap system rear of car) will leak out fuel.

Do you "top off" when you fill? If so, time to break that habit.

Sounds like you found your leak, or you are at least close. The FSM is pretty detailed in testing individual components of the EVAP system. Check out pages 6 through 14 of 01-16.

Back