Will's 1991 Classic Red NA6 Thread

Sunday was clean/polish/wax day. Both the Miata and the STi got polished and waxed. The Miata had a year's worth of rubber scuffs and cone marks to clean off. :)
8936788242_817881ceae_b.jpg

I busted out some sand paper and shaved the stupid lettering off the rear tail lights and side marker lights. I can't believe I waited to long to do this...

Before and after:
8936997914_1ffe9d72d9_z.jpg
8936995292_c711d6bb68_z.jpg

Front marker light before and after:
8936988366_048c2fcc61_z.jpg
8936367611_b0ca64bd1d_z.jpg

And, a picture after I washed/polished/waxed the whole car:
8936801692_f092d33663_b.jpg

8936187231_ac8d9f0dfe_b.jpg

Ooooh, double shiny! Looking forward to wrenching Saturday. :)

I'm going to have to get you to do that to the lights on my RX7. I tried polishing the lights on my wife's old Protege and failed miserably. Those polished/wasxed pictures have me dead set on spraying the RX& classic red when I'm done. Gonna go with the updated Protege version though (A3E), which I believe has a better clear.

Yeah the SU Classic Red has no clear coat. I like the color a lot, but it if I was picking any Mazda red I would go with the True Red instead.

As far as the lights... they looked terrible until I hit them with my random orbital and machine polish. They basically looked dull.

Thanks! (2thumbs)

I do a terrible job of advertising this thread. :)

Yeah the SU Classic Red has no clear coat. I like the color a lot, but it if I was picking any Mazda red I would go with the True Red instead.

As far as the lights... they looked terrible until I hit them with my random orbital and machine polish. They basically looked dull.

Velocity Red > *

;)

I wasn't aware SU was single stage but that makes sense. The Blaze Red (SQ) on my RX7 is the same way. Blaze red is actually very similar to True Red when the clear still exists. Classic red just has a depth to it that I don't think True Red does.

At least we don't have to worry about headlights. The only time sealed beamed/pop-up headlights are FTW. My taillights could definitely use a buff though. I'm debating "nightshading" everything except the "circles" on mine if that makes any sense.

Velocity Red > *

;)
Anything with a metal flake is FTL :p

Last edited:
^Hahahaha. I knew you'd be the one to say that!

I wasn't aware SU was single stage but that makes sense. The Blaze Red (SQ) on my RX7 is the same way. Blaze red is actually very similar to True Red when the clear still exists. Classic red just has a depth to it that I don't think True Red does.

At least we don't have to worry about headlights. The only time sealed beamed/pop-up headlights are FTW. My taillights could definitely use a buff though. I'm debating "nightshading" everything except the "circles" on mine if that makes any sense.

Anything with a metal flake is FTL :p

Sorry to hop in and thread jack but my understanding was that the A3E classic red along with vivid yellow were a single stage paint?

Sorry to hop in and thread jack but my understanding was that the A3E classic red along with vivid yellow were a single stage paint?
I'm pretty sure the Protege Classic Red was two-stage. I asked this question when I got in a wreck in 2007. The body shop guy walked over and took a piece of 400 grit sandpaper to my (destroyed) bumper cover and the dust was white. I was told it would have been light red if it were single stage.

Well you are speaking from first hand experience then. I saw a few threads a few years back claiming both the classic red and vivid yellow P5's were single stage paints. Not sure about the yellow but maybe they got the red confused with the SU?

Motor mounts are fun to replace in a Miata. Said no one ever.

Yet another beautifully wrapped header. :

Back