Will's 1991 Classic Red NA6 Thread

WillD, so happy to hear your Dad is still around and enjoying his Porsche. The photos are just great and I envy you both for going the extra efforts to actually "race" you cars! Like many guys, racing remains a fantasy that I have had for many years. When we had Riverside Raceway out here in So. Cal., I would try to make it to whatever racing was going on out there. By todays standards, Riverside was out in the "boonies", with more dirt than paving for the spectators to get around the various turns and straights. But that made it more fun. You could view all aspects of that course from the many infield places. My hero back then was of course Dan Gurney. He made the esses a straight line! Now we have the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. One of those 2.5 mile tri-ovals that just has seats priced way beyond a normal guys budget. It does, however, offer a couple of great infield road courses for the sports car entusiast racer. Our SOCALM club gets a couple of opportunities each year to drive on the "big track" and what a kick that is for we dreamers! Thanks again for your postings and photos. Looking forward to more!

Thanks! We have a great time taking our cars to the track. One day I want to buy a Spec Miata and retire my current Miata to weekend duty again and get into real racing :)

I read about a lot of Miata guys going to Buttonwillow have you ever been there?

Hey WillD, on the 7th. photo down, the low angle front view of your beautiful car, there is a mazda decal/sticker on the front bumper. Can you tell me where you got that?

That sticker came from Mazda on all Miatas from 1990-1992. You can get them from Rosenthal Mazda here, but they are quite pricey at $26.

Edited the original post with pictures from a track event at Nelson Ledges in 1998.

Got a powder coated valve cover...
1013348.jpg

And a Mazdaspeed Miata oil cap...
913-258_1.jpg

Weather is getting nicer and I'm dying to get the car back out!

Thanks! I'm blatantly ripping off the Mazdaspeed Miata's styling :)

Where did you find it? Or is it yours and you sent it out to have it powdered?

"miazda man" from Club Roadster.net did it for me with a cover he already had. I have the option to send him mine for the core charge if I want.

Out of storage as of a couple weeks ago. Oil has been changed and this past weekend I put the racing seats/harnesses back in:
photomar2381829pm.jpg

(I also got a padded roll bar cover just before I put it away last year.)

photomar2381839pm.jpg

And installed my new seat belt pads that I had custom made 3" wide for my harnesses from Redline Goods:
photomar2381857pm.jpg

I didn't realize how good they were going to look (and comfortable) so I'm going to have to get another set from Redline.

Last edited:
Ordered some new fan belts and a valve cover gasket to go with the new powder coated valve cover.

Finally fixed blinking air bag light by just unplugging the air bag module and sticking a zip tie in the connector per this post: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=5610594&postcount=64
picture.php

(Picture from post linked above).

Once that was done I removed the air bag module and the back up power supply altogether since I plan on never fixing it and eventually replacing the steering wheel with a non-air bag version. And, I zip tied the dangling alarm wire that I unplugged forever ago so it won't hit me in the foot when I'm shifting!

Do you have any photographs of how your harnesses are mounted; specifically the lap belt anchor points? I just got my seat in the RX-7 and now I'm scratching my head over how to mount the lap belts because the stock points are too far back. Also, how do you like the 6-points harnesses versus a 5-point setup?

I don't have any photographs. :( But I used the stock mounting locations because on the 91 they are actually on the body of the car and not the seat. It wasn't too far back for me because I have the seat as far back as it will go so the mounting locations actually end up to be in the perfect location right at the intersection of the bottom and back of the seat.

The 6-point is marginally better than 5. Because of the way the straps come through the hole in the seat it doesn't make as much difference as I thought it would but the buckle itself spreads the straps apart so the load is distributed over both of the straps as opposed to the one.

Today I replaced the accessory belts and installed the new (to me) powder coated valve cover I've had for a couple months.

Before:
img4722n.jpg

After:
img4731n.jpg

Couple days ago I installed the Flyin' Miata pedals:
img4735h.jpg

The underside of the two valve covers was rather interesting... The powder coated version had a lot of burnt on oil and the one I took of my Miata surprisingly clean after almost 72k miles:
img4724i.jpg

After I was all done I cleaned the underside of my non-powder coated valve cover... I was really surprised how well it cleaned up:
img4733sk.jpg

That is awesome! I can't wait to do my first track day! I live 15 min from a popular track, but I think my Miata might not be fit for tracking with 226K on the clock and a rebuilt title :/

Nah. Fadi used to track his car a ton and it was well north of 200k. As long as it's mechanically sound, mileage is just a number.

Yep, there are lots of people who track their high mileage Miatas on Miata.net. Just keep on top of all the maintenance items and you'll be fine.

Back