Will's 1991 Classic Red NA6 Thread

WillD

:
Classic Red 1991 Miata, Magnetic Gray Metallic 2014 Tacoma
So I was looking through my Dad's folder of stuff on the Miata in preparation of creating some sort of file or something that has the maintenance history of the car for my records and I thought I'd create a thread for it. :D

History:
My dad purchased it new on December 23, 1991 with 148 miles on the clock. It is an A package car (which means it has alloy wheels (daisies), power steering and a leather steering wheel) and floor mats, limited slip differential, and air conditioning were additional options.

Window Sticker:
9308385045_2be231dbe6_b.jpg

I was 5 when they picked it up so I have lots of great memories of going places with my dad in the car, namely baseball games I played in. My Dad was a member of the Miata Club of America and went to quite a few events. I'm adding pictures as I find them and scan them of the events he and my Mom went to :D

Here's a picture of the Miata I found while looking for other pictures. So far I haven't been able to locate a picture from the day they bought it but this could be as early as April of 1992, that is when my Dad added the mud flaps:
6364698433_5fc5530481_b.jpg

The following pictures are from a driving school at Nelson Ledges. I believe this event took place in May 1998 and was hosted by the Northcoast Miata Club.
My Dad on track:
6386626969_8a317ef9fa_o.jpg

6386629901_7c8677e7f6_b.jpg

More pictures from this event can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willdodd/sets/72157628105042133/

Miata Club of America national event, June 1998. This event was at Pocono raceway (the tricky triangle :D) and included rallies in the surrounding mountainous area. My parents said they met Tsutomu "Tom" Matano, the designer of the Miata at this event. He was signing the inside of trunks but unfortunately my parents didn't get theirs signed. Pictures from the event I found and scanned in:

My Mom and Dad with the car :D:
6364503471_58f4c8f946_b.jpg

6364506359_f46ce7395d_b.jpg

6364505849_13364edb95_b.jpg

More pictures from this event can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willdodd/sets/72157628053668497/

I graduated college in 2008 and moved back to the farm that I grew up on. Around the same time my Dad bought a 2008 Porsche Boxster S RS 60 Spyder. I goes without saying that the Miata rarely ever got driven, so naturally I stepped in and started driving it. :) My Dad was awesome enough to buy new tires, new coilovers, and put a roll bar in it for me! :D

Over the past 3 years I've been slowly modifying it while at the same time doing track events with my Dad.
5984780551_a38b7d0b78_b.jpg

5841786529_248c3639c8_b.jpg

Mid-Ohio, May 2009:
4753050155_6d90fc800e_b.jpg

VIR, November 2010:
6360110243_b49e040513_b.jpg

Watkins Glen, August 2011:
6036100012_4479030d9b_b.jpg

7640771872_bfe5f717e1_b.jpg

More pictures I've taken: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willdodd/sets/72157624641718488/

Last edited:
Mod List:

Interior:
- Hard Dog M1 Hardcore Double Diagonal Roll Bar
- Hard Dog Roll Bar High Density Padding and Cover
- Flyin' Miata Pedals w/ Gas Pedal Extension
- NC MX-5 Miata OE 5-Speed Shift Knob – Part #: NF28-46-030 (299g / 10.547oz)

- JDM Double DIN Center Console – Part #: N041-55-210A-00
- OEM Center Console Cubby – Part #: B02A-66-9M0A
- Pioneer MVH-P8200 Head Unit
- SCC1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner
- Pioneer CD-SB10 – Sirius Bus Interface Module
- Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" Door Speakers

Exterior:
- R-Package Style Front Lip Spoiler
- Rennenmetal Front and Rear Tow Hooks, Red
- V-LED Switchback LED front turn signal bulbs
- Modified blinker module with 1M resistor to prevent hyperblink
DEPO Clear Front Turn Signal Lights
Cibie 082440 E-Code Conversion Unit
- Hella H83160211 60/55W Bulbs

Suspension/Brakes:
- Xida Club Sport Coilovers (700/400 Main Springs, Helper Springs)
- SuperMiata Billet Coaxial Upper Mounts
- Energy Suspension Replacement Bushings
- 1993 Limited Edition Miata Tie Rod Ends
- Racing Beat Hollow Front “Race” Sway Bar (1.125” OD, 0.188” wall thickness)
- Racing Beat Sway Bar Block Kit (Blocks and Bolts)
- Mazdaspeed Miata Rear Sway Bar (14mm)
- 949 Racing SuperMiata End Links (Front/Rear)
- NA6 to NA8 Brake Upgrade
- Carbotech XP10 Front / Carbotech XP8 Rear
- ATE Super Blue/Typ 200 Brake Fluid
- Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Speed bleeders
- G2 Painted Calipers (Red)

Engine/Exhaust:
- Raceland 4-2-1 Header
- Expertly wrapped by Evan with DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap
- EnthuzaCar NA Racer Exhaust
- EnthuzaCar Metal Core High Flow Catalytic Converter
- Powder Coated Valve Cover (Red – Wrinkle Finish)
- Painted Intake Manifold, Fuel Rail, MAF, and Intake (Wrinkle Black) – Thanks Evan!
- Mazdaspeed Oil Cap
- Mazdaspeed Competition Motor Mounts
- Koyo OEM Replacement Radiator and Replacement OEM Hoses
- SP Induction Systems SPX2 Spec Miata Intake for 1.6L
- SuperMiata Extended Clutch Line

Wheels/Tires:
- 15x7.5 +42 949Racing 6UL Gen. 3, Bronze, Black Valves (11.5 lbs)
- Bridgestone RE-71R (coming Spring 2016!)
- R2-Limited Custom Center caps for the 949 Racing 6ULs (not currently being used)
- (16x) 949Racing Aluminum Lugs (Black)
- (16x) 949Racing Aluminum Lugs (Silver) - Not currently being used

Miscellaneous:
- MagnaPower ETX9 6.3lb Battery

OEM Options:
Viscous LSD
Air Conditioning – Removed

Last edited:
It's really neat that the car has a history with your family. You can tell that it has been taken care of which speaks volumes for how it was regarded. You should tell this story to Mazda USA, they might feature it in an issue of the magazine.

I usually giggle when I see these style Miata's on the road, but I like yours for some reason, Will. :)

Really dig the hardtop!

no, that is Sean in the original post

nice NA BTW, veyr clean

Is Sean still active on the forum? And thanks! :D

It's really neat that the car has a history with your family. You can tell that it has been taken care of which speaks volumes for how it was regarded. You should tell this story to Mazda USA, they might feature it in an issue of the magazine.

I never thought about that, good idea. I might give it a try this winter.

I usually giggle when I see these style Miata's on the road, but I like yours for some reason, Will. :)

Really dig the hardtop!

Haha thanks. I think the hardtop completely changes the look of the Miata.

he is but he works a lot of overtime to pay for his turbo build so he'll post every now and then, his wife is on here more

I'll have to look, I'm sure I have more pictures of his car somewhere. I made sure to post the only picture where I'm actually passing him ;)

Beautiful car.

Thank you!

Love it Will! Subbing and looking forward to seeing it in action.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I added pictures to the original post that I found and scanned from when my Mom and Dad when to the Miata Club of America national event in 1998 at Pocono Raceway. Unfortunately the national Miata Club of America went out of business in 2000 :( It was briefly replaced by a Mazda supported Miata owners club in 2001 but that stopped taking new members in 2002.

We would really like to know if your Dad is still around and, if so, what he thinks about the changes made to "his" car. If he is not still with us, then let us know more of his experiences with this car. I just love the photos you have posted and the car look great!

We would really like to know if your Dad is still around and, if so, what he thinks about the changes made to "his" car. If he is not still with us, then let us know more of his experiences with this car. I just love the photos you have posted and the car look great!

My Dad is still around, I think most of the Ohio guys have met him at a couple of the recent events (Mid-Ohio corral and Sahlen's shop tour). I think Phen gave him a beer at the Mid-Ohio corral :D While I've never asked him point blank what he thought about the modifications I have made to the car I've never gotten the impression that he has a problem with it. We are a little different in that he just wants a car to be setup and working where I like to do the tinkering and play around with modifying things. He's already told me I need to get some sweet street wheels for it (I already have 949Racing 6ULs picked out for the spring :D) so I don't think it's a problem. :D Plus the more I think about it he has been making small modifications to his new Porsche! ;)

The most awesome thing about having the Miata and having it setup to be a part time track car is that it allowed my Dad and I to go to about 5 or 6 track weekends a year together. Most of them are at Mid-Ohio or Nelson Ledges but the last two years we've made a point to make at least one out of state trip. 2010 we went to VIR and 2011 to Watkins Glen. I don't feel that I can accurately convey it, but my Dad and I are extremely close so it really makes the already awesome experience of going to track events so much more amazingly awesome.

Dad and I at VIR :)
6366102843_824a9fc441_b.jpg

Our camp at Mid-Ohio April 30, 2011. The truck pulls the trailer with one of our cars on it to close tracks like Nelson Ledges or Mid-Ohio but for farther trips we put my Dad's car in the back and pull the Miata on the trailer. We also made a tire rack for the inside for both sets of our track wheels, gas cans, and all our other gear. The Porsche is my Dad's Miata replacement :D Oh, and that's my Speed3 in the background too. (Oh, and that's my fiancee and future brother-in-law also in the picture :D)
6366170019_e3f4db7a28_b.jpg

Here is my Dad on track at VIR in November 2010:
6366172863_c40d3080e5_b.jpg

I'll be sure to get some more stories from him of memorable thing he's done with the Miata. I'm trying to find as many pictures of it as I can. This has turned into a really fun history project! :D

Good stuff Will. Like you, my dad also has a Boxster... but we haven't got him on track yet. Hell, for that matter, we haven't even got me on track yet. LOL.

And yes...I do remember giving your dad a beer at the corral. We take care of our own! I'll be chatting with you about some of the things you did to your car eventually... If I choose to keep mine...

Last edited:
Good stuff Will. Like you, my dad also has a Boxster... but we haven't got him on track yet. Hell, for that matter, we haven't even got me on track yet. LOL.

And yes...I do remember giving your dad a beer at the corral. We take care of our own! I'll be chatting with you about some of the things you did to your car eventually... If I choose to keep mine....

Thanks. :D

Sounds good. I really hope you get your MSM running properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as do I secretly...

What color 949's are you thinking?

Nickel or bronze. I already have silver RPF1s so I think something a little different would be the way to go.

Bronze on red cars looks good... but that's personal preference.

(I painted my 17's bronze)

I know I like bronze on read but the 949 bronze is a little dark so I'm still on the fence about it.

WillD, so happy to hear your Dad is still around and enjoying his Porsche. The photos are just great and I envy you both for going the extra efforts to actually "race" you cars! Like many guys, racing remains a fantasy that I have had for many years. When we had Riverside Raceway out here in So. Cal., I would try to make it to whatever racing was going on out there. By todays standards, Riverside was out in the "boonies", with more dirt than paving for the spectators to get around the various turns and straights. But that made it more fun. You could view all aspects of that course from the many infield places. My hero back then was of course Dan Gurney. He made the esses a straight line! Now we have the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. One of those 2.5 mile tri-ovals that just has seats priced way beyond a normal guys budget. It does, however, offer a couple of great infield road courses for the sports car entusiast racer. Our SOCALM club gets a couple of opportunities each year to drive on the "big track" and what a kick that is for we dreamers! Thanks again for your postings and photos. Looking forward to more!

Hey WillD, on the 7th. photo down, the low angle front view of your beautiful car, there is a mazda decal/sticker on the front bumper. Can you tell me where you got that?

Back