peeling aluminum rims

scott2008

:
2008 CX-9 GT
Just picked up a 2008 CX9 GT in really great condition with on 26k miles. There was one thing that immediately stood out, the wheels were fading and peeling. It definetly looks like a manufacturing issue to me. The previous owner had only taken the car to the local carwash for cleaning. The dealer said someone had applied a chemical to the wheels and would not warranty them?? I have been around cars a long time and have never witnessed this. Anyone have a similar problem?
Thank(boom06)s

Post up some pics. I would escalate the issue to a different dealership or even Mazda USA if you are not happy with what your dealership is telling you.

One of the qualifications when I bought my CX-9 used was that it had to have zero curb damage on the wheels. My wheels were in almost perfect shape when I got it with 32k miles, but I did notice some minor peeling around the center caps. Now I have 41k miles and the peeling has only spread a very very minor amount, still isolated just near the center caps. I'm talking like a millimeter or 2. It does appear that Mazda does not use the best paint & clear on their cars. This is why I hand wash my car & wheels only, never go to the carwash.

Carwashes now have all sorts of methods of cleaning the wheels.
I have to take my company car through the carwash 1x per week, so I've seen alot of different ones.
Some have a brush free system, but do have large circular brushes for the wheels.
Some use 1 million psi of water to blast away at your wheels.

I would guess that whatever is going on with your wheels is likely a result of someone who frequently washed the car, but used a carwash
rather than hand washing it.

I doubt Mazda will do anything for you.

Where I live, there are a couple guys with big conversion vans who have mobile wheel repair & refinishing services, and charge 50 bucks
per wheel to completely overhaul the surface of the wheel. You may look into that.

I am dealing with the Dealer right now with the same issue. I have not gotten a "YES" or "NO " just yet. My 2009 GT is still under warranty. SCOTT2008 let us know the outcome of your claim. Here is a picture of one of my rims.

Attachments

• DSC_7594.JPG
    DSC_7594.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 964
radar, that looks like a straight up BAD paint job, I've seen remanufactured wheels that look exactly like that, but never a new oem wheel. That's crazy!

They told me NO, someone must have sprayed a chemical on the wheel and they will not warranty it. Hard to believe on a 40k car you have to deal with this crap. Might look into the BBB for a complaint.

its just ur clear coat fading and chiping...its normal if u live in a salty area...

but its normal for any rim that has clear on them just take them to a body shop and have them reclear them....

Last edited:
repthemazdas- How can this be considered normal? I have never seen this on any of my vehicles with painted alloy wheels. It's not the clear coat coming off. The problem is underneath the paint not on top where the clear would be. I took the wheels to a reputable wheel repair shop and the second he saw it he said its a manufactures defect. He said they should be replaced not repaired.
scott2008- sorry to hear your response. I hope for a better outcome.

If Mazda doesn't honor them, and this really is bothering you, I'd get them sandblasted and Powdercoat them to the color of your choice.

repthemazdas- How can this be considered normal? I have never seen this on any of my vehicles with painted alloy wheels. It's not the clear coat coming off. The problem is underneath the paint not on top where the clear would be. I took the wheels to a reputable wheel repair shop and the second he saw it he said its a manufactures defect. He said they should be replaced not repaired.
scott2008- sorry to hear your response. I hope for a better outcome.

iv seen it happend with alot wheels iv redone such as expensive ass rims to cheap rims to oem rims will do it over time if you dont take care of them as they should be...

Well I got Mazda to cover $200 per wheel to get refinished. I didn't get them done in original Hyper-Silver. I went with a Bright Mercedes Silver. Looks much better. I'll post some picks once the tires are mounted this Spring.

Back