EGR DELETE??? Has Anybody done it

I can't imagine this would make any noticeable difference unless you're highly modified. I'd really like to see some dyno sheets with tuned with EGR vs. tuned w/o EGR on a mildly modified car. Hell, even on a fully built car I'd like to see it. I would think that advancing the ignition timing to compensate for the change in combustion temperatures would negate the need for deleting the EGR system. But that's just my reasoning. Anyone else?

The EGR is never open when your WOT, so it makes 0 difference on the dyno. The only reason I have mine capped on the exhaust side and open to fresh air on the intake side, is so I dont suck nasty exhaust gas back into my clean intake manifold. and it makes the exhaust manifold and intake manifold easier to remove.

As far as the resistor, that wont work, it would trick the ECU into thinking the EGR is operational, sure. But the ECU looks for a pressure differential in the IM when it opens and closes the EGR, hence the MAP sensor plumbed into the passenger side of the intake manifold. There is no way to delete the EGR with the stock ECU, and not get a CEL.

Yup I have the EGR line cut with a breather filter about half way. Then the header side is capped. No CELs or drive-ability problems. Been about 8-10 months now.

Yup I have the EGR line cut with a breather filter about half way. Then the header side is capped. No CELs or drive-ability problems. Been about 8-10 months now.

Can u post up some pics of the setup im down to do this TOMMORROW haha PICS AND a little write up would be greatly appreciated from anybody thats done this

what is the thread size for the cap? im going to clean my egr tomorrow and im thinking about capping it

When I turboed, my header didnt have an egr hookup. I just left it unhooked for a while. Then when I did a 626 manifold install I just hacked the pipe off next to the egr and actually welded the pipe end closed. I have never had any check engine lights for it and now I dont get the annoying noise I use to have at idle when it would open it. As for the pipes I got 2.5'' all the way. Does anyone run 2.25?

I have mine unplugged. When I did the 505zoom IM the stock exhaust manifold threaded pipe where the EGR tube goes came out of the manifold instead of that nut coming off. So I just capped that and put the EGR on the manifold and left it unplugged. I cant tell you about the CEL, When I put my cluster back in I didnt plug up that light. Everything else on the cluster works just not the CEL. It ran perfect for 8 months or so. But every now and then when I start my car it sputters and wants to die, but once it straightens out (Usually 5-10 seconds) It runs perfect after that. I dont know what is causing that so I just keep driving it until it finally breaks what ever it is. Because like I said it only does it right on start up and usually first thing in the morning after I start it up and drive it once It has to set for at least 5-8 hours before it will do it again. I have another fuel pump I need to swap in sometime just to see if that i causing the problem. But besides that little issue which I cant really blame on the EGR since it ran 100 percent fine after the intake manifold install. I am having no problems with the EGR delete. Fuel mileage is the same, AFRs are the same.

Hey what did you guys use to cap it on both sides, I want the whole tube out and dont seem to find the size of anything to cap it?

Last edited:
^I cut and welded the Tube shut! I also made a plate for the EGR port. The resistors WILL NOT WORK!!! I wired the resistors correctly and they will not handle the load! Yes they did short out. I just left the EGR plugged in with no problems.

If the EGR sucks in fresh air its going to lean out the fuel mixture which is bad for the already poor MSP tune. You don't want to make your engine run lean, or risk snapping rods, etc. It either needs to be blocked off or hooked up to the exhaust stream.

After attempting to delete my EGR and still battling a P0401 even after reconnecting the EGR (and cleaning/replacing the valve) I really would like to know how others were able to delete the EGR without getting a CEL.

After attempting to delete my EGR and still battling a P0401 even after reconnecting the EGR (and cleaning/replacing the valve) I really would like to know how others were able to delete the EGR without getting a CEL.

The bottom line is that you CAN'T.

Then how were multiple people on this thread with the stock ECU able to run a breather filter on the intake and cap the exhaust without getting a CEL?

Then how were multiple people on this thread with the stock ECU able to run a breather filter on the intake and cap the exhaust without getting a CEL?

I'm one of those people that run a filter, and I don't have any CEL. But you can't block the EGR because it needs to detect something (exhaust gas or fresh air) to not throw a CEL. But the caveat is that yes, the car will run lean when the EGR opens up.

I'm fine with running lean at part throttle. I put a breather on my EGR pipe about a year ago and it always threw the EGR code. I don't know why my car is different than everyone else's

Have you checked the EGR boost sensor/solenoid for blocked/cracked hoses, proper electrical connection? This is the sensor that will detect a pressure change in the intake manifold when the egr valve opens. If the sensor is dead or blocked from the intake manifold then the ecu will think there is no egr flow when the valve is commanded on.

Last edited:
I checked the shop manual finally and that's exactly what I read. Didn't even think about the boost solenoid or MAP sensor. I moved the reference line to a different spot on the intake manifold and the code went away. Now I want to try deleting the EGR again.

I checked the shop manual finally and that's exactly what I read. Didn't even think about the boost solenoid or MAP sensor. I moved the reference line to a different spot on the intake manifold and the code went away. Now I want to try deleting the EGR again.

Sweet!

I'm one of those people that run a filter, and I don't have any CEL. But you can't block the EGR because it needs to detect something (exhaust gas or fresh air) to not throw a CEL. But the caveat is that yes, the car will run lean when the EGR opens up.
Just thinking out loud but what if you piped the egr valve to the intake tube after the maf? Would the car still run lean?

It would be metered air so probably not, but it wouldn't be worth it when you can just throw a filter on the end of the pipe. It would only be slightly lean when cruising and at idle, under throttle the EGR is closed.

Back