Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just a heads up--'11 CX-9 OEM Radio must remain in vehicle for A/C to work!

Registered Member

2011 Mazda CX-9

2011 Mazda CX-9 W/ Bose Audio Wiring Diagrams

Had to call a few dealership and corporate till a Dealership gave it to me. Funny thing is Corporate and dealership I bought vehicle from said its Proprietary info that they couldnt give out and if I wanted it I would have to buy a Service Manual or buy a membership to a online manual they provide to obtain such info. Called another dealership parts guy was happy to give it to me free of charge. Frustrating being told by corporate this isn't "POSSIBLE TO SWITCH HEAD UNITS" but as we already now their wrong. Thanks for listening feel better now.
    Last edited by SoldierRican; 03-01-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Images didn't show

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 Touring

The 2010's do not appear to have the Aftermarket Radio, AC issue from what I gather on the threads posted here on aftermarket radio installation. Hopefully in their future models, Mazda gets rid of the current type of Factory Nav and puts one in with partnership with Garmin, one that works as well as the commercial units available.

Registered Member

2011 Mazda CX9 GT

mightymavkev...is everything still working ok?? i just picked up my cx9 and let the dealership install the aftermarket navi as part of the deal and the a/c did not work. they are searching for a solution with mazda japan??? if this is the solution i will send them the link for the connects2 harness. Thanks!

Registered Member

2012 CX-9 Touring

Sorry to post so late, but yes, everything is working great!!! I have had no problems with my setup at all since I got the Connects2 harness.

The only thing I'm lacking is a reverse wire. The Connects2 harness I purchased included a wire for reverse but I hooked it to my Kenwood head unit and it does not recognize it and switch to the rear camera so I'm not sure if it is simply not working or if it is a voltage requirement difference.

I thought about tapping into the reverse lights and running that to my head unit but I'm afraid that it may not want a full 12 volts and thus might damage the head unit.

So if anyone has any idea how to get my Kenwood head unit to connect to something on the CX-9 to recognize reverse and automatically switch to the rear camera I'd appreciate it.

Registered Member

wating for the 2013

you need to turn on the rear camera on the kenwood unit. its in the settings menu on the right

Registered Member

2012 CX-9 Touring

Thx nosbusa. but I think I wasn't clear.

The option on the head unit to switch to the rear view camera is turned on. The issue is I can't find a signal wire on the car to connect to the kenwood's Reverse Sensor wire to trigger it to switch to the camera when I put the car in reverse. The Connects2 harness I bought works great to integrate into the OEM BUS and still allowing the A/C to function as well as giving me fader, trip computer and clock controls via the Steering Wheel controls for the audio. However, the wiring diagram that came with that harness has a lead that is supposed to be the reverse sensor but it does not work.

So I don't know if that sensor lead is correct and perhaps it is too low voltage to work with an aftermarket deck (in other words, maybe the Kenwood is expecting 12V over that lead when the car is in reverse and it is only supplying a small current).

I'm afraid to test by tapping into the backup lights or something however because if the Kenwood is expecting something less then 12V and I force that much into it as a test, I could damage the circuit in the head unit (it's probably not fuse protected).

I downloaded the OEM installation instructions for the rear view mirror with Back Up camera display and it identifies wires in the kick panel as the Reverse Sensor wires. I'm going to try to find that wire per those OEM instructions and tap into it for my Kenwood to see if it works.

I don't know when I'll take the car apart to work on that though but I'll post results here when I do.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 GT FWD 2012

I am sharing my experience about the backup camera I just installed to my Nissan Maxima. This may or may not help, but hopefully it will shed some light. I just upgraded my head unit to my Maxima with a double din unit (Kenwood ddx 419) which I also use for viewing the rear view. I tapped the positive 12v reverse wire which I found near the middle of the driver's side. I ran this wire to the front from which I soldered the positive wire of the camera and the reverse signal wire of the Kenwood unit, so they are all 12 volts. When I shifted into reverse, the camera is turned on and the Kenwood unit is switched to rear view camera mode, and I can see the view in the back. The point here is the Kenwood head unit and the camera accept 12 volt positive juice from the reverse wire with no problem. You might try accessing the reverse wire and try to connect it to your Kenwood head unit to see if this will work. By the way, your connects2 hook up is for the system with Bose, do you know if there is one for the non-Bose, as my CX-9 is non Bose and I have an itch to upgrade the stereo with one of the Kenwood excelon I heard to be very good.

Registered Member

wating for the 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mightymavkev View Post
    Thx nosbusa. but I think I wasn't clear.

The option on the head unit to switch to the rear view camera is turned on. The issue is I can't find a signal wire on the car to connect to the kenwood's Reverse Sensor wire to trigger it to switch to the camera when I put the car in reverse. The Connects2 harness I bought works great to integrate into the OEM BUS and still allowing the A/C to function as well as giving me fader, trip computer and clock controls via the Steering Wheel controls for the audio. However, the wiring diagram that came with that harness has a lead that is supposed to be the reverse sensor but it does not work.

So I don't know if that sensor lead is correct and perhaps it is too low voltage to work with an aftermarket deck (in other words, maybe the Kenwood is expecting 12V over that lead when the car is in reverse and it is only supplying a small current).

I'm afraid to test by tapping into the backup lights or something however because if the Kenwood is expecting something less then 12V and I force that much into it as a test, I could damage the circuit in the head unit (it's probably not fuse protected).

I downloaded the OEM installation instructions for the rear view mirror with Back Up camera display and it identifies wires in the kick panel as the Reverse Sensor wires. I'm going to try to find that wire per those OEM instructions and tap into it for my Kenwood to see if it works.

I don't know when I'll take the car apart to work on that though but I'll post results here when I do.
    all aftermarket screens want to see 12v for the backup camera. its standard in the car audio industry (non-oem. some oem is data)

Registered Member

2011 CX9

WOW what a mess I just found this post. My wife is wanting the Kenwood unit because of the Garmin GPS. Since it has been 7 months since the last post has there been any updates? Is there a list of all of the add ons we need? Bose,back up cam,steering wheel controls.

Registered Member

MAZDA CX-9 GS

question

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierRican View Post
    2011 Mazda CX-9 W/ Bose Audio Wiring Diagrams

Had to call a few dealership and corporate till a Dealership gave it to me. Funny thing is Corporate and dealership I bought vehicle from said its Proprietary info that they couldnt give out and if I wanted it I would have to buy a Service Manual or buy a membership to a online manual they provide to obtain such info. Called another dealership parts guy was happy to give it to me free of charge. Frustrating being told by corporate this isn't "POSSIBLE TO SWITCH HEAD UNITS" but as we already now their wrong. Thanks for listening feel better now.
    question here guys, if I want to swap my oem radio on my 2011 for another oem unit from 2010 would i still need to carry my original radio? the difference between 2 units is that one has a screen and does stream bluetooth and the one i have now is just the CD unit with no screen.

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

Did they ditch the center speaker in 2011? I don't see it on the diagram...

08' CX-9 GT FWD
    Gray Mica with Black Interior
    Nav/Bose/Sunroof/Bluetooth /Rack&Crossbars/BSM/Pwr Lift/Homelink Mirror/Tow Pkg/All Weather Rear Mats
    K&N drop-in filter/Centric E-Coated rotors & Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics /2 Yakima ForkLift Bike Trays/ Weathertech front mats
    Tires: Nitto NT421Q
    Oil: Mobile One Full Synth & Mobile One Extended Performance filter
    Problems to date: Blower motor relays replaced once, intake manifold rear brace was missing from factory build, headlamp motors weak, windshield wiper plastic cap, rear strut leak.
    Mileage: 100k
    Job: Material Damage Adjuster

Registered Member

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Is this issue only present on models with the Bose system? I have a 2011 Touring, no Bose.

I am looking to replace the OEM Radio and add in a idatalink Maestro and can't find info on whether the A/C would be an issue, but obviously if the issue was only on Bose systems i'm good to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123