Serpentine Belt Replacement

MikeJ

:
2007 CX-9 Sport
On Saturday I tried to replace the serpentine belt on our 2007 CX-9 Sport but wasn't able to get the new one on. I was able to figure out that you have to take the right front tire off and remove a panel from the wheel well to gain access. I used a 13mm open ended wrench to move the idler pulley and the old one came right off. I tried for about two hours to get the new one on and there was no way it would go. What a horrible design. First, the bolt that holds the idler pulley to the torsion arm faces the engine block and there is not enough room to get a socket wrench in there. Second, the direction that you need to turn to relieve tension is also the direction to loosen the bolt that holds the idler pulley on( yes, mine did loosen but I was able to tighten it up enough to allow it to relieve tension without it coming loose again). Again, what a horrible design. I have never had a problem like this.

I put the old one back on in about two minutes so I am guessing it has stretched enough to make it easy. The new one I'm putting on is a Dayco that I bought at Advance Auto and is about an 1/8" wider than the Motorcarft part that is on there now.

Anyone have any advice on how to get the new one on? Thanks.

MikeJ

Last edited:
You are right about removal of wheel and shield.
I just checked the WorkShop manual.
I can scan you a copy if you send me a PM with an e-mail to send it to.

Is it possible that the aftermarket is slightly smaller than the oem belt? I changed one on my V6 Passat (of course I remember having plenty of room for the wrench to loosen the idler pulley) but I don't think these belts really stretch over time...they just crack and get hard.

I just replaced my serpentine belt last night. I used a Gates serpentine belt. My CX-9 is 2013 with 60K. The reason I replaced it was because I have heard a few times a squeal in the mornings when I start the car. I believe it is when I have the A/C on. I checked the Stretch Mark and mine was very close to the Max Stretch(about 1 mm away). So I decided to change it. The belt had no cracks and in good condition(just slightly stretched i guess).
The problem I found was that the Tool I borrowed from O'Reillys to pull the Tensioner was too long and didn't allow me to pull the tensioner farther. So I ended up having to cut off some of it to make it shorter. I then asked my neighbor to help me pull it while i was installing it through the Wheel bay. It really was easy. However I spent most of my time trying to use the long tool which ended up being pretty long.
I checked the Stretch mark after installation and it was close to the minimal. After driving a few miles, I found that the stretch mark indicator is moving towards the nominal.

I just replaced my serpentine belt last night. I used a Gates serpentine belt. My CX-9 is 2013 with 60K. The reason I replaced it was because I have heard a few times a squeal in the mornings when I start the car. I believe it is when I have the A/C on. I checked the Stretch Mark and mine was very close to the Max Stretch(about 1 mm away). So I decided to change it. The belt had no cracks and in good condition(just slightly stretched i guess).
The problem I found was that the Tool I borrowed from O'Reillys to pull the Tensioner was too long and didn't allow me to pull the tensioner farther. So I ended up having to cut off some of it to make it shorter. I then asked my neighbor to help me pull it while i was installing it through the Wheel bay. It really was easy. However I spent most of my time trying to use the long tool which ended up being pretty long.
I checked the Stretch mark after installation and it was close to the minimal. After driving a few miles, I found that the stretch mark indicator is moving towards the nominal.
Did you do the steering belt too? That one is horrible to get on.

Did you do the steering belt too? That one is horrible to get on.
No, I gave it a pass! It looked good. I was more concerned about the serpentine belt getting stretched to almost the highest stretch mark and the fact that I need to travel this weekend.

Here is how to check the length of your current belt

Back