Californian P5 owner looking 4 advice, anyone thats gone for a "legal" turbo upgrade

Slapper

:
2002 protege5
Californian P5 owner looking 4 advice, anyone thats gone for a "legal" turbo upgrade

Maybe you guys know another p5 or protege owner who has gone this route.

Looking into it right now, going to talk to some friendly smog guys to see what info they need but just trying to see what hoops I would have to jump through to get a turbo upgrade done "legally" here in the biggest pain in the a## upgrade state around.

Two issues I see, 1.smog 2. dmv.
technically you can uprage a complete engine as long as its newer. cats have to remain etc. As far as smog the smog machine reads the ecu vin code (so how do people get around having swapped ecu's to replace a broken one) probably a question for a smog tech.
(route I would go would be reflash either a second hand ecu or my ecu (shouldnt change the VIN ??)

emissions I understand, basically stock intake and stock exhaust (cat type and location) and stock ecu.

Technically as the speed exists and I understand the technical details in regards to intake and exhaust (cats) in regards to smogging it, I cant see why I wouldnt be able to do this legally even with my standard engine. Why legal? cause I cant be bothered unbuilding the thing if I dont have to for smog and for resale.

Cheers guys and pre thanks for the help.

talk to the smog guys all you need is the msp setup not sure if you could use afmic or not but there's a guy on here that reflashes ecus

Go fully stock MSP turbo kit. It can be easily be state ref. if you have all the OEM MSP parts on. I was going to do the same, but I realize I got into deep with the mods for my build. Far beyond legal, but If i wanted to, i could easily go back to stock MSP OEM and make it legal if i wanted to.

This scenario works perfect because the parts are from a 2003 MSP and your Protege5 is a 2002. Everything is plug and play. Look into it. I can help you if you need it.

Thanks, thats exactly what I thought. Basically my idea is to source all the oem parts needed for the conversion. Use the stock ecu (mine or another) and just go with that. The only problem I see is getting the cats as thats even a problem for my car now. So if any body can be botherd I would appreciate a very specific parts list. By parts list I mean oem msp parts that I don't already have on my stock p5. It will save me a bunch of time and I would be very greatful!!!!

In an ideal world I would get every part off a wreaked msp but that could be differcult.

What I need.

intake (need to get a stock one anyway (is the box different on the msp?)
intake pipe (assume it goes all the way to the turbo)
diverter
intake manifold??? (is it the same? I hear theres at least a pressure sensor that needs to be added)

exhaust manifold (keeping everything oem from the head to the cat back)
EGR line? (different lenght?)
downpipe
(cats)

oem ecu flash

obiviously parts like turbo, lines. intercooler etc. (these shouldnt effect dmv or smog) not too worried about these, hard lines etc wont effect the smog ( at least I dont believe they will).

thanks

Last edited:
Back