Snow Chains.........

fxpthl

We have relatives who live about 8 hours from us in so. Calif. The road to their home travels through some high altitude mountains and sometimes the signs read "Chains Required" but we have never ventured up that way during snowtime/winter. Any suggestions on the type or brand of tire chains we should purchase for instances like this? We are hoping to drive up there soon and the later in the year the more likely it will be when snow is on the highway.

We have relatives who live about 8 hours from us in so. Calif. The road to their home travels through some high altitude mountains and sometimes the signs read "Chains Required" but we have never ventured up that way during snowtime/winter. Any suggestions on the type or brand of tire chains we should purchase for instances like this? We are hoping to drive up there soon and the later in the year the more likely it will be when snow is on the highway.
Which wheel/tire combo do you have? 18 or 20? i have been looking into Security Chain Company. They have a set of cables for the 20s that wont break the bank. Heres a link to amazon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

and when i selected vehicle info this was the result:
This product fits your 2008 Mazda CX-9
Trim: Grand Touring
Note: Super Z Chain; 6 mm; Tire Chain; Single Mount;, Fits 2008 MAZDA CX-9 when equipped with original tire size of 245/50-20. For other tire sizes, please refer to the fitment guide on the product page.

I will be giving those a try for the Big Bear trips this winter.

You know wernersl, that looks like a pretty good price. We ended up buying some cable chains in Bishop, CA because the CHP signs said to "CARRY CHAINS" so we did. As it turned out we got through the 8000+ summit BEFORE the snow flew and it was clear driving the remainder of our trip. Here in the CA mountains it is better to have than to have not. The CHP isn't very understanding when you don't have them. BTW, we paid almost 100$ for ours at a Reilly's Parts store in town! Oh yeah, we drive an 09' Grand Touring with FWD with 20" rims covered with Yokohama Paradas.

Last edited:
Well, believe it or not, the OM specifically says not to install chains on 20" wheels.
Chance is big that some metal parts might scratch the wheels. 18" is OK.
I have a set of 20" I bought "just in case". I have never needed it yet after 2 years of owning it
for ski trip to Sierra.

Sounds like you are speaking of going through the Grapevine (Tejon Pass), on the way to LA. Yes it can be quite tricky up there when it really snows hard, especially due to the elevation angles going up to the pass. If you don't have chains and the snow is real bad, the CHP would probably not let you chance the pass.

I have run z-cables a few times on the 20" OEM rims/tires without issue. I tried Autosock 785s and they kept coming off. I called Autosock and they said that they would have tried the 775 (tempting). I love the smoothness of Autosocks but have not had good luck (they don't have an exact fit in the US for the 20" OEM wheels).

Back