Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pictures: Winter Setup - Drag DR 38 18x8 & Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 245/60/18

Donated: $30

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

17's are a good option, there are a few pics on here that I saw when doing research. I too thought 17" wheels would look small, but when you get some beefy winter rubber, they fill in just fine. I ended up going with 18s because of the deal I found on the Wheels.

Longevity, let see. First winter with them was 2011, so 2011, 2012, 2013. This will be there 4th Winter Season, 2014. They are well over half tread. However, Winter tires are really only "Winter" tires until you get to the first depth marker. We are about 2-3mm away from that, so I think this will be the last winter season on these tires. Then, they become All Season tires. I'll probably sell them on Craigslist after this winter season, and get some new ones for 2015. I am sure they'd do fine still, but I perfer to know they are still within Winter Rubber depth here in MN. The compound in that Winter layer is different, and I trust it a bit more than A/S compounds .

So, 4 seasons probably, at 12K ish per season.
    2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD - Brilliant Black Clearcoat
    Wheels: - 20" Lorenzo WL32 (20x8.5 +35 Offset) with Yokohama Ice Guard 255/50/20

2009 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD 5.7L Hemi

2018 Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker M6 - F8 Green, SOLD May, 2019
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - SOLD Dec, 2013
    2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6 - Whitewater Pearl - SOLD Jun, 2009
    2003.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege - Blazing Yellow - SOLD Jun, 2006

2014 Mazda CX-9 AWD GT w/ Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by Rawyzf View Post
    17's are a good option, there are a few pics on here that I saw when doing research. I too thought 17" wheels would look small, but when you get some beefy winter rubber, they fill in just fine. I ended up going with 18s because of the deal I found on the Wheels.

Longevity, let see. First winter with them was 2011, so 2011, 2012, 2013. This will be there 4th Winter Season, 2014. They are well over half tread. However, Winter tires are really only "Winter" tires until you get to the first depth marker. We are about 2-3mm away from that, so I think this will be the last winter season on these tires. Then, they become All Season tires. I'll probably sell them on Craigslist after this winter season, and get some new ones for 2015. I am sure they'd do fine still, but I perfer to know they are still within Winter Rubber depth here in MN. The compound in that Winter layer is different, and I trust it a bit more than A/S compounds .

So, 4 seasons probably, at 12K ish per season.
    Great to know! That's where my WS60's were on my 6 when I traded it in, so I didn't feel bad about losing the fancier rubber as they were down to the first bar. Let me keep my nicer Enkei's as well.

So 12k total you think or 12k x 3 seasons? Because 36000 miles would be intense! If I got 4 seasons outta them that would be perfect though. That's a long time + added longevity on the late spring/summer/fall rubber.

One more question. TPMS> Is it worth it to install in the aftermarket winter wheel? That would add about $200 bucks to the purchase, and I'd like to keep this cheaper than that. Is the light in the CX-9 obnoxious if left on the whole season?

2014 Mazda CX-9 GT Tech Package - Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (EX650A) - Kawi Green (777)
    (Sold) 2004 Mazda 6 MTX Wagon - Glacier Silver Metallic (26A) You Will Be Missed

6Club - http://forum.mazda6club.com/members/74497-voldsom.html

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by voldsom View Post
    Great to know! That's where my WS60's were on my 6 when I traded it in, so I didn't feel bad about losing the fancier rubber as they were down to the first bar. Let me keep my nicer Enkei's as well.

So 12k total you think or 12k x 3 seasons? Because 36000 miles would be intense! If I got 4 seasons outta them that would be perfect though. That's a long time + added longevity on the late spring/summer/fall rubber.

One more question. TPMS> Is it worth it to install in the aftermarket winter wheel? That would add about $200 bucks to the purchase, and I'd like to keep this cheaper than that. Is the light in the CX-9 obnoxious if left on the whole season?
    12K x 3 season, so 36K on them thus far. Just put them on Sunday for season #4. I agree also, rather than buying tires every 2-3yrs, you can get away without buying tires for 5yrs, but then you might have to buy 2 sets .

The light isn't bad, the ding noise is annoying. I'd opt for the TPMS. $100 for the safety of knowing if have a tire going flat is peace of mind for me.

You can get them way cheaper than $200. I got mine from TPMS Express for $90 shipped. I don't think they are around anymore, but check out ebay and such.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

12K x 3 season, so 36K on them thus far. Just put them on Sunday for season #4. I agree also, rather than buying tires every 2-3yrs, you can get away without buying tires for 5yrs, but then you might have to buy 2 sets .

The light isn't bad, the ding noise is annoying. I'd opt for the TPMS. $100 for the safety of knowing if have a tire going flat is peace of mind for me.

You can get them way cheaper than $200. I got mine from TPMS Express for $90 shipped. I don't think they are around anymore, but check out ebay and such.
    Gotcha! That is really great tread life, as I expect to only drive 6k or so in the winter. We don't have snow coverage as much as you probably do in Minnesota, so that could affect life as well I suppose (even though everyone thinks Denver is up in the Rockies, perpetually covered by snow, lol! )

And that TPMS price is WAY better. I was just looking at the price TireRack quoted (even though I'll probably be getting the tires through DiscountTire, as they are cheaper and local if I have a problem).

Any issue with used ones? I found a couple that state they are Mazda, but if they are 315Mhz any should work, right? (ignorant somewhat about TPMS due to this being my first car with it).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251562127457...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191375693950...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by voldsom; 11-13-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

Gotcha! That is really great tread life, as I expect to only drive 6k or so in the winter. We don't have snow coverage as much as you probably do in Minnesota, so that could affect life as well I suppose (even though everyone thinks Denver is up in the Rockies, perpetually covered by snow, lol! )

And that TPMS price is WAY better. I was just looking at the price TireRack quoted (even though I'll probably be getting the tires through DiscountTire, as they are cheaper and local if I have a problem).

Any issue with used ones? I found a couple that state they are Mazda, but if they are 315Mhz any should work, right? (ignorant somewhat about TPMS due to this being my first car with it).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251562127457...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191375693950...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Yeah, I am suprised at how well the Blizzaks have held up on the CX9. Definatley worth every penny. I am on Season 2 with Hankook RW11 iPikes on the Saab, and they look brand new as well. I think as long as you rotate, they'll last at least 4yrs. LOL, 8 yrs if you only drive 6K on them.

I have no issues with used ones, as long as they are tested and guarenteed to work . I have used ones in the Snaab, no issues at all. Just make sure they'll mate with the CX9 (all newer Mazda should be the same though). Go onto Rock Auto and see if they list a part number and then compare to see if that matches ebay.

Yeah, I am suprised at how well the Blizzaks have held up on the CX9. Definatley worth every penny. I am on Season 2 with Hankook RW11 iPikes on the Saab, and they look brand new as well. I think as long as you rotate, they'll last at least 4yrs. LOL, 8 yrs if you only drive 6K on them.

I have no issues with used ones, as long as they are tested and guarenteed to work . I have used ones in the Snaab, no issues at all. Just make sure they'll mate with the CX9 (all newer Mazda should be the same though). Go onto Rock Auto and see if they list a part number and then compare to see if that matches ebay.
    great idea! Thanks for all the help man.

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

Yuppers, post up what you end up doing and going with.

So, I just ordered some TPMS from ebay, $60 bucks used for 4, guaranteed tested, etc. Those should come in middle of next week.

In the mean time, I was curious what the 9 would look like with my RSF5 17's, so here is tire rack's crappy render:

And my similarly hasty photoshop with the actual DM-V1 and actual RSF5's (shopped from a side picture of my 6) all hobbled together. Monster truck status:

Conveniently, TireRack's stock image of the tire is a P245/65R17, so I know how meaty it will look:
    Last edited by voldsom; 11-14-2014 at 07:51 PM.

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

So, I just ordered some TPMS from ebay, $60 bucks used for 4, guaranteed tested, etc. Those should come in middle of next week.

In the mean time, I was curious what the 9 would look like with my RSF5 17's, so here is tire rack's crappy render:

And my similarly hasty photoshop with the actual DM-V1 and actual RSF5's (shopped from a side picture of my 6) all hobbled together. Monster truck status:

Conveniently, TireRack's stock image of the tire is a P245/65R17, so I know how meaty it will look:
    Lol, nice. We'll see how the actual monster truck looks when done.

Indeed. It's a little bit of a crappy 'shop job, since the grass was in the way. But the weather was atrocious this last week so I wasn't gonna get another shot

I plan on getting the tires mounted up next weekend most likely, and will probably put them on in December, ready to go for the peak of winter.

Donated: $10

2013 CX-9 Touring

Hey voldsom, can you please let me know how you program the TPMS sensors, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by avidien View Post
    Hey voldsom, can you please let me know how you program the TPMS sensors, thanks.
    I planned on just following the manual:

Donated: $10

2013 CX-9 Touring

Thanks voldsom, looks pretty straightforward, good luck with your new setup.

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD

Just an update for anyone following, finally retired the Blizzaks from the CX9. They lasted for me 8 winters, and still have about 7/32 left. But 7/32 is where the Winter Tire wear marker is, so I decided to sell them (for someone to use as All Seasons) and put snow tires on my 20" wheels instead (as we are likely to sell within the next year anyway, and the summer tires were cupped badly).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12