Turbo replacement

youngblud

:
02 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys,

Need some advise here. My stock turbo is going out, so I'm deciding whether to get it rebuild, or replace the cartridge or upgrade to t28rs. Replacing the cartridge or rebuilding the turbo would cost me around 800 plus labor or I can get a T28rs for about 1200 with zero cost for labor (install myself)

T28rs does sound nice from what I have read, but is it worth the upgrade for me considering I just want to leave my car boost at around 8-9psi. Max hp I probably want to get from my car would be between 200-230hp and I don't plan on forging my motor..(cost too much). So I don't know if I can justify upgrading considering t28rs can hold more HP but for what I am aiming for the t25 seems like it would do...?

Here's my upgrades so far:
FMIC, Forge BPV, Forge Wastegate, full custom 2.5 exhaust plus bigger downpipe, Boost gauge and I will be installing an ssafc soon.

Thanks, any thoughts and pros and cons to each one would be appreciated.

My CHRA from ATP turbo up north ended up being 460ish dollars (assuming yours is the GT25 which if stock it is). Garret has a ball bearing replacement program with these turbos as they cannot be rebuilt like the journal bearing turbos. You send your CHRA to ATP or another Garret authorized vendor and they inspect the CHRA to ensure the failure was normal wear (they say 99% of the time it is) and then you get a discounted CHRA. I am no expert on turbo efficiency but 8-9 on stock turbo seems pretty common.
If you plan on having a shop do the work they might charge a bit more getting the CHRA out instead of simply swapping turbos but you should more than recoup that with the replacement program.

I upgraded to a GT28RS center cartridge. Since they are ball bearing, I am almost positive you cannot rebuild them just replace but I may be wrong.

You can replace the center cartridge but no you cannot rebuild them like on a journal bearing turbo. The stock turbo is a GT2554r.

Back