2 problems with 2006 Mazda5. Dead battery and now like it's floored when starting

Also have this problem

I seem to have the same battery drain problem as discussed in this thread. I also see about 0.4A draw in the "ROOM" circuit, that (after a few minutes) drops to about 0.3A and stays at that level. I'm the original owner of the car, never had special (non-stock) parts installed that I can think of. If I don't use the car for 5 days, the battery can be completely dead. The battery was replaced about a year ago, and tested OK last week according to the dealer. I've now taken out the "ROOM" fuse when the car is not used, to check if the car survives a few days without being used.

Many thanks to rkhanso for posting your findings, this is very useful!

A question regarding this quote:

According to the workshop manual, the amperage draw test has to be performed after a greater than 15minute rest, and should not be higher than 45ma draw.

Where in the workshop manual is this? I cannot find it. It would help to convince my local dealer that a 0.4-0.3A draw is a problem (rather than blaming my infrequent use of the car).

I think I found the answer to my own question:

Where in the workshop manual is this? I cannot find it. It would help to convince my local dealer that a 0.4-0.3A draw is a problem (rather than blaming my infrequent use of the car).

In WM_01.pdf on page 01-17A-5, section "Battery inspection", subsection "Back-up current":

Back-up current
1. Verify that the ignition switch is off (key has been removed) and that all doors are closed.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Connect the tester between the negative battery terminal and negative battery cable, leave the battery
undisturbed for 15 min., and then measure the back-up current.
If not within the specification, measure the back-up current while removing the fuses one by one from the
inside of the main fuse block and the inside of the fuse block.
Note
If the battery is not left undisturbed for 15 min, the tester will indicate a high value (approx. 200 mA).
If the key or any electrical accessory is operated within approx. 15 min after the tester is connected, the
battery must be left undisturbed for approx. 15 min from that point.
Caution
Operating electrical loads while the back-up current is being measured can damage the tester.
Battery back-up current
30 mA max.
4. Inspect and repair wiring harnesses and connectors of the fuse where the current has decreased.

Hi, did anybody manage to find out the cause of the problem?

I'm having the same issue: 400mA current draw right after turning the car off and 150mA after 15 mins. After remiving ROOM fuse draw drops to (near) zero.
Interior lights work fine (they turn off when doors are closed).

thanks!

Hi, did anybody manage to find out the cause of the problem?

I'm having the same issue: 400mA current draw right after turning the car off and 150mA after 15 mins. After remiving ROOM fuse draw drops to (near) zero.
Interior lights work fine (they turn off when doors are closed).

thanks!

Hi.

I had the same problem with my Mazda 5 2008. Battery drain 0,3A and after half our in a full sleep mode of the car was 0,15A. After removing room fuse drain drops to zero.
Long story short (six months of cursing)..........It was the bluetooth control modul. Pulling this out of the circuit there is no battery drain anymore and everything in the car works.

When I bought the car, bluetooth did not work and I didn't care becouse I don't use it.

Maybe this answer will be usefull to someone :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
Meanwhile I figured out that the factory stereo (!!) is to blame. De-connecting it makes current draw to near 0... There is no Bluetooth in the stereo, but it has a CD changer.
Now I'm considering buying a new stereo unit (one with BT/Mp3,..), and hope it will solve the problem.

I have the same problem on my 2008 Mazda 5 GT and I have isolated it to the radio/interior lights/keyless entry circuit (under the hood). If I pull that 15A fuse the battery drain stops (verified with an ammeter). I have unplugged the radio and interior lights with no change so now I am thinking it is the keyless entry module or something else on that circuit that I do not know about.

I have pulled the factory stereo and interior lights with no change to the draw so it is something else on that ciruit.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Where is the Bluetooth module?
Where is the BCM (body control module)?

Thanks.

I have the same problem on my 2008 Mazda 5 GT and I have isolated it to the radio/interior lights/keyless entry circuit (under the hood). If I pull that 15A fuse the battery drain stops (verified with an ammeter). I have unplugged the radio and interior lights with no change so now I am thinking it is the keyless entry module or something else on that circuit that I do not know about.

I have pulled the factory stereo and interior lights with no change to the draw so it is something else on that ciruit.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Where is the Bluetooth module?
Where is the BCM (body control module)?

Thanks.
I finally found the culprit, it was the bluetooth module, which is directly behind the glove box. Once unplugged, the car went into deep sleep mode with only a few milliamps of current.

Back