Airbag light? It's on.. and flashing...

I have a complete set of airbag from a 2 if it ends up being one, seats included.

-Derrick

Airbag Light is flashing

I decided to try it as my 24-year old Miata was experiencing the dreaded Miata Flashing Airbag Light! ​​​​​​​After searching and searching about what makes my airbag light blink 5 times, then escalate to 10 times, I came to this solution to shut it down without ANY audible alarms or having to pull the bulb. At least until I can get the diagnostic module repaired or replaced. I was about to just cut the wire going to the bulb, I had to get the car inspected and this flashing light would make it fail! I know its due to leaky capacitors on the circuit board (this is a common and incredibly annoying issue with lots of older circuits in numerous devices). Anyway, I was at the point where I was ready to just dismantle my dashboard to get behind the instrument cluster and BLACK out the bulb that illuminates this warning or cut the wires..but this simple trick worked great and was really easy to do!

All you have to do is remove the rectangular "kick panel" right under your steering column - it's just 2 phillips screws. You then have good access to all the under dash electrical connections and components. Its pretty cramped quarters, I put a pillow on the door sill and laid on my back to see up under the dash. You will see a gray connector goes into the blue airbag diagnostic module right over the steering column; The module has 2 plastic blades that go into the connector, keeping the circuit to the bulb open.once the connector is pulled out, the circuit gets closed and the airbag light comes on solid to alert that there is a problem with the system/connection. If you remove the bulb, you will then get a MORE annoying buzzer sound!

So disconnect the gray socket from the blue airbag diagnostic module.get a medium sized zip tie, cut it to about 6 inches and insert it into both holes of the connector (by looping it) where the earlier mentioned plastic blades would beand eureka! No airbag light, no audible tone, no blinking, and best of all, no airbag in my face!

Ive attached pictures and I hope this helps explain this relatively EASY fix

Attachments

• Miata Airbag Flashing light trick*.jpg
    Miata Airbag Flashing light trick*.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Miata Airbag Flashing light trick.jpg
    Miata Airbag Flashing light trick.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 218
I decided to try it as my 24-year old Miata was experiencing the dreaded Miata “Flashing Airbag Light”! ​​​​​​​After searching and searching about what makes my airbag light blink 5 times, then escalate to 10 times, I came to this solution to shut it down without ANY audible alarms or having to pull the bulb. At least until I can get the diagnostic module repaired or replaced. I was about to just cut the wire going to the bulb, I had to get the car inspected and this flashing light would make it fail! I know it’s due to leaky capacitors on the circuit board (this is a common and incredibly annoying issue with lots of older circuits in numerous devices). Anyway, I was at the point where I was ready to just dismantle my dashboard to get behind the instrument cluster and BLACK out the bulb that illuminates this warning or cut the wires..…but this simple trick worked great and was really easy to do!

All you have to do is remove the rectangular "kick panel" right under your steering column - it's just 2 phillips screws. You then have good access to all the under dash electrical connections and components. It’s pretty cramped quarters, I put a pillow on the door sill and laid on my back to see up under the dash. You will see a gray connector goes into the blue airbag diagnostic module right over the steering column; The module has 2 plastic blades that go into the connector, keeping the circuit to the bulb open….once the connector is pulled out, the circuit gets closed and the airbag light comes on solid to alert that there is a problem with the system/connection. If you remove the bulb, you will then get a MORE annoying buzzer sound!

So disconnect the gray socket from the blue airbag diagnostic module….get a medium sized zip tie, cut it to about 6 inches and insert it into both holes of the connector (by looping it) where the earlier mentioned plastic blades would be…and eureka! No airbag light, no audible tone, no blinking, and best of all, no airbag in my face!

I’ve attached pictures and I hope this helps explain this relatively EASY fix…

Yeah that old Miata has literally nothing in common with the system used on the Mazda2. The 2 has a considerably more complicated system and the bulb is an LED soldered to the circuit board that cannot be bypassed since the logic is communicated over a CAN BUS system.

Back